Search Unity

Mac App Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moonjump, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Moonjump

Moonjump

Just announced as part of the Apple event.

I hope Unity will be supporting it.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Me too.

--Eric

3. JRavey

JRavey

They have a store for buying Apps on their site, so it is probably a repackaging of that. If that is the case then there is nothing for UT to do. If it is going to have a lot of DRM like everything on iTunes, then UT will have some work to do.

4. Moonjump

Moonjump

Another hope is that they extend iAd to this, and that other ad companies follow. Anything to help us monetize our apps on a new platform, especially one that will be suited to longer play sessions, and therefore more ads.

5. mudloop

mudloop

It's specialized apps with automatic installation and updating, auto save, etc. Unity really needs to support this asap :) App submissions start in November.

6. bugzilla

bugzilla

Does anyone have any idea if it needs to be an XCode project, or can it be the standard executable that Unity basic creates for the Mac OS? I wonder how they will handling the Provisioning profiles and Certificates like the iPhone and iPad. Hopefully you will not need such security devices to develop for the OSX App store.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Mac App Store could be a revolution for Mac software distribution but i have to wait for more details about Certificates and independence from Xcode.

8. dragonstar

dragonstar

I am excited to make not only make games for the mac, but using this new form os distribution

9. mikesgames

mikesgames

I will be using it in the near future!

10. JRavey

JRavey

It may end up being like a Steam for Apple type system. That would be neat, particularly if Unity supports it, otherwise we will just have to use plugins (Pro only, save your pennies).

11. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

Well I think its more of iOS app running in a VM on the Mac OS.

If so Unity would have to support it (display size and so one)

You still can make full Mac OSX software and sell it on Stream.

I think it GREAT news 50 million more people to sale iOS apps to :)

12. JRavey

JRavey

Max, you seem more informed than the rest of us. Do you have a link to any information?

13. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

14. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

Just how it worked when Steve demo it.

Just looks like iOS running on top (VM) of OSX

Looks like you will have to paid $99 per year to access program, the Mac App Store page is down at the moment on Dev Center!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It's not iOS apps running in a VM, it's Mac native apps. One question I just thought of, what about demos? Because that (or rather the lack thereof) has been a complaint about the iOS app store.

--Eric

16. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

17. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

Hi Eric

"It's not iOS apps running in a VM"

How do you know?

18. JRavey

JRavey

We don't *know* either way until we have credible evidence.

19. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

sorry Eric yep you right :) Mac OS X apps :)

20. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Edit: never mind, just saw your post maxfax2009.

Edit2: mmm, more Xcode signing/provisioning/certificate stuff...not really a fan of that.... Anyway, since Unity already does the whole Xcode integration stuff for iOS, maybe they could do that for the Mac app store and use AOT there as well? Might help fix code security issues people have brought up a number of times.

--Eric

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  21. bugzilla

bugzilla

Since Unity already supports creation of Mac OSX desktop apps, we "should" be able to directly upload our applications; however, if the app store requires a separate developer license, I wonder if they are going to have the same restrictions placed on iOS apps(use of Provisioning Profiles, Certificates, unlocking your device for development).

22. JRavey

JRavey

Well, it seems nice and we all have visions of revenue potential, but it won't take long to turn into a shovelware race to the bottom.

23. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yes; see the link that maxfax2009 posted earlier. (This one). Without an Xcode project I don't see how it's possible to get apps on there.

--Eric

24. seon

seon

Awesome... here comes the rush of 99c Mac Apps !

Seriously though, this is exciting news, and I am SURE Unity folk are already discussing this internally.

25. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

Hey Eric

How do you see the touch stuff working if its just OSX app?

Unity will have to think about that!

If its just like a Stream game on Mac then its like now just keys, but if its using iOS touch (Lion OS) how will that work?

26. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

You will still have normal OSX apps like you do now (download from internet, buy from a software company), what the Mac App Store gives you is people - 50million thats all.

27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Not sure I understand the question...it's just standard OS X apps, the only difference is being distributed on the Mac App Store (which includes Xcode signing stuff).

--Eric

28. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

"Awesome... here comes the rush of 99c Mac Apps !"

I think people should try and stop doing that for Mac App Store, but they will not to bad, you could charge $9.99 to $29 for a really good game.

29. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

OS X already has a multitouch API for trackpads, though I think it's private.

--Eric

30. SquiggleDome_2

SquiggleDome_2

Now we can monetize high-quality flash/web games for $0.99 cents. I think $9.99 unity games is good too.

31. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

I hope to get some official word from Unity as to how they will support the Mac App Store. All we need is for Unity to generate an Xcode project like it is doing for iOS builds.

32. chilton

chilton

You can find source to access the touches directly. I just hope Apple doesn't get all crazy with the 'no private api calls'' crap they pulled with the iPhone.

-Chilton

33. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

34. jackshiels

jackshiels

Hell, at least we can finally charge a bit more for our software... unless the iOS trend begins on the desktop 0_0

Maybe this is the beginning of the end...

35. Phil W

Phil W

From what I've read, they already have. Not that it should matter too much - they've made it clear that private APIs are off-limits because they're APIs in flux and subject to change/removal. You'd feel worse if your apps suddenly stopped working and user reviews called you out on it...

Regarding pricing... that'll be interesting eh. See if the masses understand the difference between a mobile app and a large budget production. Maybe they will, maybe they won't - iPhone development and pricing is still a guessing game even now :)

36. GorrylIard

GorrylIard

I would assume that the ease of development and selling your product will lead to increased supply and will deflate the average prices. I think this is natural development. I see App Store and iTunes as a flea market of a sort. I don't really see why Mac App Store would be any different?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  37. galent

galent

I think it's a fantastic market to drive more apps and games for Mac. But Mac isn't a mobile platform, and game players (at least) won't take to paying for cutesy little mobile games (note, I'm not taring and feathering all moble games, but a lot are not compariable to PC or console titles). The casual market already exists, and yes, many of the better games in that market will likely find a home in the new mac store, but ... for those who weren't in the fearful masses during the inital iPhone rush, let's remember, this store has much more potential for major game studios... real platform (I'm not getting into the state of OpenGL on mac vs Dx11 right here :) ), real prices (I don't think 99 cent apps are very likely, quality products are hard at that price, free online apps fill that space, and I believe quality demands will be higher), real competition.

EA et al, can bring their offerings and studios to bear through this market.

On the up side, Valve will be under the gun to streamline their app submission/publication process. Of course, Apple (conversely) will be under pressure not to lay the same restrictions on developers (as they do with iOS), with several other viable distribution channels not making the same demands on developers :)

Just my thoughts,

Galen

38. bigdaddio

bigdaddio

I think this is pretty cool. Some people are arguing that apple will take 30%, I have dealt with boxed software in the past, the developer would be happy to get 15-25% of the store price. The store pays what 40-50% of the list? Distributor gets a cut, don't forget you have to cover returns and such.

This is nothing but fantastic news for all but the middlemen.

39. taumel

taumel

It was obvious that they would go this route. I've mixed feelings about it...

40. Dreamora

Dreamora

5 years ago, now there are enough large platforms serving the digital platform already.

I go with Taumel here, I've mixed feelings on where apple is going with their OSX platform too ie how viable it remains as a freely usable thing and not a closed box thing controlled by some controlfreaks with an air of premium trash greed.

41. bigdaddio

bigdaddio

No one says you have to go the app store route, you can still make your product, put up a web page and paypal. Steam still exists, as well as stores, amazon etc.

42. Dreamora

Dreamora

You can still at the time, yes.
    But you don't believe that apple keeps the world open if this store really lands, do you?

They never were about open platforms otherwise OSX were a real OS, not a "works primarily / only on our hardware" system.
    To them it would actually give the power to get rid of hackintoshs completely if they bind the store to itunes and that to your hardware serial

43. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

I'm 100% happy with the Mac App Store... as long as they continue to allow apps to be installed/purchased outside of the store. For instance, I can't imagine buying an Xcode 3rd party control through the store... or a simple 3D game model... the App store will probably never be able to categorize and specialize to the degree that, for example, TurboSquid needs to be.

But for the "typical" consumer... someone looking for a fun game or a neat work processor the App Store model works well. It makes it much easier for "your mom" to buy and install apps. So it, in effect, expands the market and because all developers get the same 70/30 deal, it levels the market... both good things for indie's. For that reason, I'm excited.

44. minevr

minevr

Say hello for Mac Store....

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

46. Dreamora

Dreamora

haha "no marketing fees"

Yeah we know how that model works out on the iOS ^^

47. bigdaddio

bigdaddio

Oh come on guys, do you think that MS will sell Office or Adobe will sell the creative suite via the app store? This is a secondary way to get software from smaller publishers and devs. There is no way Adobe will give apple 30% of anything. They will not lock down the mac to only app store purchases, they wont kill hackintosh, If they wanted to then none of your iTunes songs would play. I think you guys are seeing bogeymen everywhere. I actually think that apple tolerates hackintosh because many of the people who try end up purchasing a mac.

48. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

Well Apple are not going to update Java anymore :( the doors are closing :(

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/21/apple-discontinuing-java-installation-packages-for-mac-os-x/

Very up setting :(

49. Moonjump

Moonjump

$99/year for the Mac Developer Program, same as iOS. I had hoped that one subscription would cover both, but it appears not. I hope we find out soon what the Unity position is, although we know from recent experience UT think before they act, which is a good thing. It is just frustrating waiting.

50. chilton

chilton

There's nothing to be concerned about here. Unlike the iPhone, there's nothing in Unity that uses some forbidden language to build things. So while I'm sure it's going to require going through XCode at some point, I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt there would be anything preventing Unity based content from getting through.

-Chilton