Search Unity

LumenLights - Set lights with Lumens or Watts

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by HemiMG, Apr 28, 2017.

1. HemiMG

HemiMG

Asset Store Link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/88391

I'm please to announce the release of LumenLights. This asset allows you to set the intensity of Unity point and spot lights using Lumens or Watts and Efficiency instead of Unity's less realistic and guess work prone light setup. The hope is that the asset will make it much easier to create realistic lighting scenarios. No more having huge warehouses lit by a single 100 bulb. Archviz folks may also find it useful.

Limitations of all real time lighting mean the the light must always eventually clip to 0, and Unity's setup of separate range and intensity mean that it will not be as accurate as it could be, but you can see from the screenshots below comparing LumenLights with a pre-rendered test scene that it does a pretty good job getting things right.

Because the real life range of a light can result in a massive radius on the light, which may be bad for performance, there is a way to reduce the radius of the light and adjust the intensity to match the calculated value. This is, unfortunately, a partly manual process at the moment. I don't know if that will change because the increase in intensity needed for a given decrease in radius seem to vary wildly and not be something easily calculated.

The asset also has presets for a variety of different light color temperatures and the option to change the white balance on those values.

The comparison screenshots are below:
    Direct5.png Direct25.png Direct60.png Direct100.png Direct250.png

2. HemiMG

HemiMG

Hi everyone, I'm anxious to get some feedback on the asset. To that end, I've included 5 vouchers (Edited to remove used ones) for it below. It would be great if people could give the asset a try and provide an honest review on the asset store, or feedback here in the thread about how well it works for your needs.

ASV-GU7Q-FMCM-CAD4-EKXF-KFDK
    ASV-H6VN-FMYK-KJFT-K7KD-NFT4

It may also help if you reply when you use one, so people don't have to try all of them to get to one that works. Although I have no idea how fast they will go. It could be that they all get used up before anyone can reply.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  3. HemiMG

HemiMG

There's still two voucher codes left. I'd really like to know if this asset works well for people.

4. davidsperkins

davidsperkins

I'm going to give this a try.
    Does this handle energy conservation when you change the angle of a spotlight?
    Also, can this be over or underdriven with an "art direction" slider?

5. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Idea is cool but from the images, 250W feels more like there is an stadium floodlight in the kitchen. May be 250W LED.

6. contempt

contempt

Did I miss the vouchers? I have been working on VR simulations to simulate lighting and displays in archviz for a large entertainment company this sounds perfect for my lighting needs.

7. HemiMG

HemiMG

Spotlight are probably less accurate than point lights. If it doesn't suit your needs in that regard, let me know and I'll go back in and have a go at making them more accurate. In fact, I'll probably do that anyway. There is a numerical value you can enter to adjust multiply the intensity by to increase or decrease it from whatever is set. This is also useful if you want to shrink the calculated range of the light. For now, you'll need to manually match the intensity (the instructions tell how I do it) as I couldn't find a consistent numerical function to handle it with the way Unity's lights work.

That may be, but it matches up with LuxRender, so I reckon it's at least as accurate as they are. There are a few things that may be contributing to that appearance though. The first is that the kitchen is really small. I reckon my kitchen would be pretty bright with a 250w lamp as well. The other is that no tonemapping is on the image, that decreases the blown out look quite a bit. But matching the tonemapping of LuxRender with the tonemapping of Unity isn't really possible since they use different methods. So for calibration and comparison purposes, I left it off.

They all got used up. Nobody provided any feedback though. The pessimist in me thinks that it's because people didn't like it. But without feedback I can't improve it. And since I've seen several people want real world lighting values in Unity, I'd really like to make the asset as good as it can be. I still have a few voucher codes that I'm allowed to create, so if you can provide some feedback (positive or negative), then I'll generate one for you and PM it to you.

8. KMSHotline

KMSHotline

Hey I'd really like to to test this out. I am actually working on a mobile VR app that is specifically centered around exacting wattage. I think this is a great idea and I am sad you didnt get any feedback. I would be happy to provide some and encourage you to keep developing this!~

9. HemiMG

HemiMG

I'm sorry for the late reply, I've been dealing with personal issues that kept me away from the forum for a while. I'm about to head to bed now, but I'll try to remember to PM you tomorrow.

10. Hypertectonic

Hypertectonic

I would like to try this out, and provide feedback! I do archviz things and having at least a lumen approximation would be pretty useful at least as guiding values! BTW have you tested area lights or emissive intensities too?

11. Binary-Soul

Binary-Soul

Hi there, just found this and was wondering if this is an on-going project, has been abandoned or if there is some other updated asset that provides this kind of functionality.

12. GabrielGunis_NM

GabrielGunis_NM

Hi, is there any documentation about Lumen Lights available online? I haven't found any description or explanation of the features. Thanks!

13. DotTeam

DotTeam

Sounds like usefulness of the asset can't be overestimated.

14. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

@HemiMG This looks super useful for my project. Does it work with URP?