Search Unity

Lots of Crashes to Blue screen

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ytinu, Oct 23, 2009.

1. ytinu

ytinu

I am runing-
    windows Vista x64
    Unity 2.5.1
    Video Card:
    gForce gtx 260 (driver 8.16.11.9107)

It seams that at least 4 or 5 times a day, unity crashes to the blue screen of death. When I reboot and windows tries to deduce the cause of crash - it says something about how the Nvidia card failed a refresh.

I have run Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop and a few 3d games with no errors, so I assume its a Unity Problem. In addition, its not my code thats crashing to blue screen as I can run the same script after the crash that I was before and nothing happens.. it seems quite random.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Is their a cure?

Cheers
    T~

2. hungrytom

hungrytom

I have the same setup and the exact same problem..

Windows 7 64-bit
    Unity3D indie
    Geforce GTX 260

Only crashes when editing my game in Unity. I can build and run the game itself without problem and I no other app has resulted in crashes.

Driving me nuts.. Any ideas what can be done?

3. briancarroll

briancarroll

I seem to be having the same problem with a GTX 295, which is basically two GTX 260's in SLI. I get random BSOD's only in unity 3d, when running the editor (after pressing play, and it runs for a little while)

In addition the character customization demo just browsing it on the web, not even running the editor, causes my machine to BSOD after a few seconds.

I have tried just about every NVidia driver there is (180 series through 196.2) with the same result. I have also tried disabling SLI, and disabling one of the two adapters in device manager, same result. The problem happens in both windows 7 ultimate and windows vista ultimate

If anyone else is having the BSOD issue in the editor, could you let me know if viewing the character customization demo also causes the problem for you?

http://unity3d.com/support/resources/example-projects/charactercustomization

Thanks

Brian

4. andeeeee

andeeeee

Have any of you reported the crashes to UT using the Report Bug app?

5. Ralthan

Ralthan

I have a similar setup. Gateway 9800 series notebook (GTX 260, 4GB RAM, T9500 processor) running Win7 64Bit. I have experienced multiple blue screens while Unity was open. I was not sure if it was Unity or not as this is a relatively new Notebook and I was doing other things while Unity was open. Usually the Blue screen is in the nVidia driver. I upgraded to the latest beta drivers from their site to see if that would help, but alas it did not. I know there is a bug app when unity crashes (which it does a lot), but what app is there for when your blue screen? Where is that located? I'll fill it out the next time this happens.

Tony

6. briancarroll

briancarroll

Yes, I reported this some time ago (a couple of months) via the bug app in Unity. No response or a fix. Perhaps it is being worked on though. Yesterday, I also emailed support@unity3d.com with a reference to this forum thread.

Thanks

Brian

7. AdmiralAckbar

AdmiralAckbar

I've been investigating this issue on a machine with the following;

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    - Unity Pro
    - 2 GeForce GTX260 (running in sli mode)

I am able to edit/run unity projects and web players with out seeing any bluescreen crashes at present, I have attached a screen shot showing my display details and sli settings. Are there any additional details you could provide regardng your set-up? or anything about the bluescreen, for example if a dialog box is shown reporting a driver error.

Attached Files:

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

Technically seen Unity can't cause any Bluescreen, especially not on Vista+
    Only security software, drivers and hardware overheat can.

With something like a notebook, I would likely suspect the overheat aspect to trigger in first unless its a driver problem

9. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

Dremora is right.

I've seen graphics drivers and sound drivers cause blue screens on vista and 7 - so I suspect that you should check for the latest drivers.

Also the output of your event log at the time of the crash will help identify what is causing the crash.

10. Greenmoon

Greenmoon

What do you think can I run Unity on notebook :
    ASUS A6000 series ?? Graphic cars is : GeForce GO 7300
    Thanks for any reply

11. G-o-D933

G-o-D933

well, technically seen unity can't crash windows to a blue screen, but practically it does.

i have vista 64, nvidia 8800 with unity 2.6.1(f3 i think, the current, tried to reinstall today... and updated to newest nvidia drivers)

unity did run on this computer, so do dozends of 3d applications and even some games, no problem whatsoever. but the second i double click unity icon: bluescreen.

according to the number of users experiencing this problem it is obvious that unity has a problem with newer nvidia graphic drivers or some specific driver setting (although i would bet i never changed anything from default). actually being not able to start unity at all is a big issue for me, as i am working on a commercial project :(

@AdmiralAckbar: could you tell us, which version of the nvidia driver you use? i mean the nvidia version, the one from help/system information (should be something like 197.13), and what settings you have in 'manage 3d settings'

12. AdmiralAckbar

AdmiralAckbar

@G.o.D

The settings have not been touched so are default and the driver version is 8.17.11.9621

Hope this helps. If you have any further issues of this nature please email support@unity3d.com and our support team will give you any help you need.

13. thempus

thempus

I got the same problem here, unity3d 2.6.1 Windows 7 x64, geforce 260, almost one year using this computer with rare BSOD but now with unity, it is crashing everyday in the editor only, mostly when I switch applications while the editor is running a game.

14. Angelskye

Angelskye

Was Playing Milmo for the first time today after it forced me to download the unity player, after 18 hours I switched maps cause i needed a bow to progress further on 1 map, and was supplied insufficiant energy charges for the boss fight for megalithon, I went to spooky map and Unity player just went *DEATH TO YOU!!!*

Must have been my punishment for running from the boss battle... Now I cant login into the same account cause I get a bluescreen everytime... But I can login to a different account, and create a different character and I wont get a bluescreen!

I have:
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3
    System Manufacturer: AWARD System Model: AWRDACPI
    Processor: AMD Geode NX, MMX, 3DNow, 1.4 ~GHz
    Ram: 1152MB RAM

Display: Nvidia GeForce 6200
    DAC Type: Intergrated RAMDAC
    Unity Version: Supplied By AeriaGames @ http://milmo.aeriagames.com/ <-Uninstalled For Superstitious Reasons... installed file in add/remove was 1.46MB

Unity Web Version Info: Re-Downloaded From "Unity Web Player for Windows" Download Page >Installed file is 1.36MB in add/remove
    Web Version: Current
    Unity Plugin version: Was 3.3.0f4
    Unity Engine version: not installed

Installing Unity
    Pro Version:
    Unity Plugin version: Was 3.3.0f4
    Unity Engine version: not installed
    Webplayer Settings:
    Shared: 0
    Testing: 0

Unity Pro Did help... for about 10 minutes. Then I BlueScreened again on the same account... Guess im going to uninstall "Unity Pro" Untill people fix this Blue screen of death...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  15. surmav

surmav

I'm getting blue screen with Unity Pro also.
    Running Windows x64 ultimate sp1 OS,
    HD6970 2gb.
    I have fresh OS and latest drivers. Without unity i didn't get BSOD at all, i was able to run 3d applications, work with no problem. After i installed Unity Pro i ran into lot's of Blue screens, later OS couldn't even boot so i booted as "Windows last known good configuration" and uninstalled Unity, after that i didn't get blue screens at all till now.
    Very weird issue, it can't be related to my system configurations because i can run everything else fine besides Unity, even tried to work with UDK, no problems.

I really hope Unity community can find what causes this issue, its depressing.

16. TheDiamnodMaster

TheDiamnodMaster

I am using windows 7 Ultmate 32 bit and when i run somegame like CS portable or Rushteam or even combat extreme it will crash i use IE and Google Chrome, the result are the same blue screen please i need help i wanted to play these game.:confused::cry:

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  17. TheDiamnodMaster

TheDiamnodMaster

did u try to install u win7???

18. Dantus

Dantus

This forum is for Unity developers and not for gamers. Please get in touch with the developers of the game to get support.

19. TheDiamnodMaster

TheDiamnodMaster

nope plus i can't find it lol
    /QUOTE]

20. Dantus

Dantus

Again, this is a developer forum and you are replying to a very old thread. Get in touch with the developers of the game that doesn't work correctly!