Search Unity

Looking for some input

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Steve_Stevens, May 30, 2017.

1. Steve_Stevens

Steve_Stevens

I have been in computers for a VERY long time.

2 of my favorite games were Wizardy and Ultima.

I have written several games over the year. Each one getting more complex.

The last "big" game I wrote was a web based RPG in perl. Unfortunately life took over and I was unable to get it into the masses.

Anyway, I have this top down game I am writing. I am kind of lost as to what direction I want to take this game.

It has AI for the main character(s) (you can have multiple), animals (they will be biome dependant), and NPC's.

When I get into the NPC part, I am not sure if I want this an RPG or more like Rim World.

Right now, you can build structures, collect resources, eat,sleep and mine a mountain.

You can create a grow area (which I am considering changing to a larger structure and call it a farm).

You really cannot control the AI, they just respond to the environment.

If anyone wants to take a look at the engine part of it, let me know.

Thanks!

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

What's the single essential experience that you want the player to feel?

Martin_H and theANMATOR2b like this.
  3. Steve_Stevens

Steve_Stevens

Honestly, I'm not really sure. I started playing with unity just to learn the coding and how the games work.
    Of course did the big NEWB mistake and went all 3D GTA style on my 1st one. lol
    This one is a much simpler 2D top down game.
    I don't KNOW anyone that would like that style game.
    My son is all into the 3D nuke the universe games so he's no help.
    And he's mad at Rim World style because his colony ate itself after building it for a month. lol

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Do any images capture your imagination in a way that could apply to your game?

For example, think what you will of the movie Prometheus, but the 2-3 seconds of the ship landing was a beautiful bit of cinematography that makes me want to play a sci-fi game like it:

Or any memories of playing Wizardry or Ultima? I remember the anticipation in Wizardry 1 of never knowing what would happen when I kicked open a door. Ultima broke ground by adding a layer of moral choice and consequences.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

I know what that's like. Sometimes you will find someone that refuses to touch a game only because it's 2D, retro-style, etc. As such, you can't get a lot of useful information out of them at times.

By the mechanics of your game, I am imagining a mix between an exploration-focused game and something with RTS or tycoon elements. Maybe something where you discover new land and build settlements in a way reminiscent to Civ, but where there is one player-controlled character.

Or maybe it could be more survival focused, like if you're controlling a character on a long-term espionage mission that includes making sure the friendly side has ample encampments, infiltrating enemy outposts, and also exploring/reconing landscape. I can see your concept heading a lot of different ways, and I like some of them.

I think you should nail this down before working on combat. You've actually made a lot without having a solid vision, which is both impressive and concerning. Do you have any ideas at all you want to run by us?

TonyLi and theANMATOR2b like this.
  6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

So I think this boils down to - do you want to create a more linear experience or one that is wide open with more replay value - like a civ/aoe game.

For every 5-10 people who don't like a game simply because of it's style - there is at least 1 that LOVES that type of game - simply because of its style.
    As a simple example - I really enjoy single player fantasy like experiences, but I'm turned off by co-op type games. Yeah - I'm different, and there are loads of people like me, and tons of people who are just the opposite, don't even consider playing games without co-op components firmly established in the core elements of the game.

Yeah - and those people aren't your audience either - so getting any information/feedback from them isn't much relevant to the game you are working on. That would be like asking a wrestler if it is more entertaining/effective to throw an overhand right or a uppercut. Wrestling and boxing are both combat sports but the wrestler knows nothing about throwing punches, and the boxer knows nothing about ground combat. :D

Agree - Strongly ponder on the experience you want the player to have in the first 2-5 minutes of the game - beyond any instruction/tutorial. The core of the game has to be easily identifiable to you as the creator - so it is completely identifiable by anyone who might be interested in playing the game.

TonyLi and Hyblademin like this.
  7. LMan

LMan

So the way I understand it, the game is played by feeding the AI different kinds of input/setting rules and getting it to act in a particular way that results in a net gain of resources.

You have to manage it- tell it when to eat/sleep- kind of like the Sims.
    You manipulate it to build an economy, investing resources + time to make more resources. This sounds like Harvest Moon, except for the "No direct control" part.

Presumably the lose state is having 0 of some kind of resource that pertains to the well being of the character.

But what about the win state? What is the goal to be realized?

8. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Sounds like a Macro Management game.

Macro Management games are games where the entire world is a packed full of automated systems that carry on with or without you and it's your job to make the proper nudges to lead the people to victory.

Very cool, not nearly enough of those out there.

For some examples check out:
    Dungeon Keeper
    Black and White
    Dwarf Fortress

From what I can tell, Macro Management games have two main gameplay elements. 1) Where ever you focus on has a positive effect on the building, and 2) the game needs to be packed full of clever and cool little Easter eggs for the player to discover.

In Dungeon Keeper you could always help out in some ways, such as picking up minions and moving them closer to the objective or pick up gold or smack workers around to make them work harder.

While at the same time there were lots of fun discoveries hidden in the game, like finding out that spider minions will eat fly scouts (because, of course they would) or dominatrix minions will go to the torture chamber and whip eachother.

9. Mercbaker

Mercbaker

I recommend you prototype continuously and only make a game when you are compelled to by an idea you cannot put down.

It seems you are making a game because it seems like a good idea? Or maybe bored?

As a developer I only commit to a project if the convection is there. As long as you have that element, you will most likely complete your project and it'll be worth playing.