Search Unity

Looking for a little advice on game design

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Eegxeta, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Eegxeta

Eegxeta

So started designing a game, but I quickly realized I had created something that I simplify don't have the skill, experience, or fiscal means in which to make. I have tried to shelf it and work on something smaller and have worked out a few much smaller projects that are achievable, but I am continually drawn to my original project. The design is well past the point where it could start being developed (as in I have a few pages worth of stuff on the world generation mechanics alone and I have worked out all but the finest details of the major gameplay elements) and I would love to be able to take it to a development company, but I doubt I would be able to find anyone who would take me seriously.

One way or another I'm going to make this game I'm just wondering if anyone has some advice on how I could make it sooner rather than later.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Well, it may be obvious, but one possibility is to be the game's producer rather than developer. In other words, you come up with the money, and simply hire it done. You get to be the designer (as much as you want to) in this scenario, but don't have to do any coding, artwork, etc.

Of course this requires a substantial amount of money; typical budgets for AAA games are in the million-dollar range. And you said you don't have the fiscal means. So, that's probably not something you can fund out of pocket. So, as with any other business, you could look for investors. That's not going to be easy, but if you really do have a great idea and a well-thought-out business plan, you may be able to find someone willing to buy a stake in it.

Then there's crowdfunding, but that's not as easy as it used to be (and even in the good old days, it wasn't very easy for somebody who wasn't already widely known).

The easiest approach is probably to build up to it in stages — keep paring it down until you have some fun part of the game, and then develop that (or hire it done). Release that, start building a community, and use that to help fund the next part. Be patient and expect it to take a while, but you'll get there eventually.

3. Teila

Teila

Or, you could learn as you go. Start with your game. Use every resource to learn, whether that include buying assets and modifying them to suit your purpose, or going through tutorials from Unity or Youtube channels. Face the fact that it will take a long time, but think of it like writing a novel. The game will grow as you go and so will you. You will be amazed what you learn next. :)

The journey is really the adventure so make the decision to go on the journey.

JoeStrout likes this.
  4. Eegxeta

Eegxeta

Being patient stinks I want it now... *sigh* Thanks for the advice. I actually have planned out step one in building up to it make a android game and the craziest it will get would be tilt controls. The best part is on a small phone screen I can get away without getting someone who knows what they are doing for art and just do it myself!

JoeStrout and Teila like this.
  5. neoshaman

neoshaman

Focus on asset last, and dare I say even polish, learning to make a game is tricky, just having a complete game is an achievement, so do that first, then work on making a good game then a polish game. But yeah strip bare any idea you have. What is the genre you are targeting?

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I was faced with the exact same situation. My biggest fear wasn't that I couldn't complete my "dream game" but instead that I would complete it and it would be a failure due to non-technical reasons (unable to get greenlit, failure of promotion, etc). So I decided to build a much simpler game from beginning to end, which I believe is key, as once you have your game playable there is about 2/3 of the actual work still to be done IMO. There's a lot to learn and do besides just getting the game to function.

That was over a year ago, since then I've started a number of smaller projects, and completed one which is now successfully on Steam. Now I'm using things I learned to help work on my "dream game" which I've invested a lot of time and money into building out, still learning as I go.

Don't have money? Well I'm spending a little here and there as I go, so it doesn't hurt all at once. With the big model creation expenses I've put most of them up on the asset store to help offset the costs. Don't have the skill? Forums and examples help, as well as a bit of trial and error.

JoeStrout likes this.
  7. lizifox

lizifox

i would say: simplify your game concept (dont bother with assets, sounds, ... just a single level + the basic gameplay that makes your game) and try to build a simple working prototype as soon as you can.

it will give you a good sense of how strong your gameconcept is. if it is, build further on that, a step at a time. if it's not, put it on the shelf and try a better concept.

this way you will quickly gain some skill and get a feeling of what games are within your reach.

8. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Pretty much this. Identify the little bits and pieces that you can work on and then tackle those one at a time.

That's what I try to do, anyway (in the piteously small amount of dev time I have). Next up: figure out how to make a "splatter" shader that wraps around 3D objects as described by JoeStrout!

JoeStrout likes this.
  9. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Playmaker was a huge stepping stone for me to be able to learn to structure projects.

Before using it, the idea of making a larger picture from all these tiny puzzle pieces of knowledge was beyond daunting.

I can't recommend it enough for emerging devs.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  10. MystiqueGaming

MystiqueGaming

You could ask someone to collaborate with you
    If you're not down for that then i recommend you start making your game and whenever you are stuck with a problem go to the internet

it can also be due to lack of concentration so think of what makes your concentration and focus better

I like to listen to music when making games to focus
    You could try playing chess or reading a book b4 making the game

dont spend all the time making your game
    Watch TV or play other games or read the forums and tutorials and then when you think you can make the game then do it

If your game is vast i can also collaborate

11. MystiqueGaming

MystiqueGaming

First make a working prototype (dont mind the sound, the quality of your asset, the glitchy script)

make a working prtotype and then admire your amazing work and then a few hours play the game you made and then try to polish the game step by step

For eg in Racing gamr

1. Make a working prototype with one track, one car, one opponent and a system that checks you was the winner
    2. Test this prototype
    3. play the prototype
    4. Make the main menu of the game
    5. Make the ace cars (at this point you should improve your graphics, sounds and scripts
    6. make The tracks
    7. Make many opponents
    8. Make the credits
    9. Post the game
    Following all this you should be done by 5 years if you are alone