Search Unity

Games Lonely Mountains: Downhill - a downhill mountain biking game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by DerWoDaSo, May 21, 2017.

1. DerWoDaSo

DerWoDaSo

Hey lovely Unity-Devs,

We'd like to share our new trailer for our latest game Lonely Mountains: Downhill with you:

"We" means Daniel and me (Jan) with our two-person indie studio Megagon Industries. Our game is is a Downhill Mountain Biking Game for PC focusing on responsive and fun controls, an open track design (not open world!) and an untouched nature in a beautiful low poly style.

Features:
    • Custom Bike Physics: We developed a custom bike physics system to achieve very tight and fun controls while still incorporating the feeling of driving a downhill bike through rough terrain.
    • Seamless Tracks: Ride all the way down from the top of the mountain to the valley in one seamless ride with no loading times.
    • Open Track Design: Play it safe and follow the trail or take the risk and go cross-country to find the fastest way down.
    • Visit the world: Take your bike all over the world and experience a beautiful nature untouched by men. No audience, no barrier tapes – just you and your bike.
    • Secret Locations: Explore the mountains to find secret locations and unlock new skins and gear.
    • Beautiful Low-Poly Style: The game combines low poly art with modern lighting and post-effects to achieve a stylized and unique look.
    Further Features: (Most of them not yet implemented so please take them with a grain of salt...)
    • Weather System: Ride your bike through wind, rain and snow.
    • Dynamic Day & Night System: Start your ride in the middle of the night and feel the sun rising when you reach the valley.
    • Ghosts: Play against your own ghosts in your hunt for the best-time.
    • Replay & Share System: Rewatch your best actions and your funniest fails and share them with the community
    • Rider & Bike Customization: Customize your rider and bike after your own taste.
    • Unlock & Progression System: Strive for the best times to unlock new game modes, modifiers and tracks.
    So, what are your thoughts? Feedback is always appreciated!

All the best,

Jan & Daniel

2. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Looks fun

I laughed at the middle of the trailer

DerWoDaSo likes this.
  3. Arkade

Arkade

Great, now I don't have to actually go mountain biking -- I can just fiddle with the computer more.

Didn't need exercise anyway.

g r e a t.

<slow clap>

yeah yeah I'm only kidding. It looks FANTASTIC!
    I am actually a mountain biker and *always* think of creating a MTB game while riding. Got a few bits done but I guess I'll be putting those aside now that I can get my fix when I can't get out on the trails. Great job. Voted on greenlight. Best of luck!

btw, it wasn't clear to me whether the video actually *is* gameplay. The website top video shows controls suggesting it's left stick steer. Right stick camera? Some less 'promo' video that shows actual gameplay would be really useful!

Thanks and good luck again!

DerWoDaSo likes this.
  4. DerWoDaSo

DerWoDaSo

Thanks a lot! We will make some "real gameplay" videos, however all scenes are made in the game, besides the changed camera perspective no extras here. The following image is directly taken from our current version of the game:

lonely_mountains_downhill_steam_ingame_002.jpg

The game perspective is changing a little bit, depending on your speed and movement direction, to always make sure you see a little bit ahead. A few people seem to dislike the perspective, however all the people we had it actually playing liked it so far.

We want the controls to be as simple as possible, so basically anybody can just pick up a controller and start playing. Therefore we decided not to have explicit camera controls. Left stick to steer, trigger to accelerate & brake, A for sprinting - that's it. However we will probably continue to iterate on that for a while. Also keyboard and mouse controls are not that easy to solve.

Arkade likes this.
  5. pcg

pcg

Every time I see this art style it makes me want to try something similar. Looks fantastic.
    Looking forward to seeing those gameplay videos.
    Have you thought about a mobile version? The app store is saturated with the usual physics bike games but this looks like it offers something different. You'd have a paying custom here.

6. PhilippG

PhilippG

Love the visuals! Good luck :)

7. carking1996

carking1996

Voted on steam for ya

8. DannyHellfish

DannyHellfish

Thanks everyone for the support and the nice feedback. We're greenlit since yesterday!

Mister-D likes this.
  9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Great work on the trailers. Very nice cinematography, staging and motion.
    I'd love to see some of that applied to the game if it didn't detract from gameplay.
    Thumbs up smiley! :)

10. khos

khos

Very nice look and feel so far, well done.

11. DerWoDaSo

DerWoDaSo

theANMATOR2b and PhilippG like this.
  12. frankslater

frankslater

Love the visuals as well, and the whole mood and feel of it. The music is a good match as well. I wouldn't try downhill biking, but I think you got a fan here. ;)
    I probably should not click on the demo, need to hit the hay..... Well, maybe just little .... what can go wrong, right? :D

13. frankslater

frankslater

At the 1st checkpoint in 9.9 :D

9.7!

Attached Files:

14. macdude2

macdude2

Check out the discord. 7.1 is the current record for that checkpoint.

15. frankslater

frankslater

Uh, and here I thought I pretty quickly got fairly close to the best possible time. I constantly disappoint myself lately.
    I'm not even going to attempt to get near that 7.1. :)
    Getting down passed 3 checkpoints in the demo was my goal, and I'm just going to leave it at that for now.