Search Unity

Loading Screens for Mad Level Manager - Powerful and easy loading screens

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by genail, Nov 18, 2014.

1. genail

genail

Loading Screens for Mad Level Manager

Almost every game needs a loading screen. Even if your scene has only a small amount of resources to load, there are devices that will freeze your game when you try to load your level.

Mad Level Manager: Loading Screens is an extension for top-selling Mad Level Manager (required!) asset that makes use of one of its core functionality - it extends all your defined game levels with an additional scene that is in this case a Loading Scene.

With Mad Level Manager: Loading Screens you can:
    • Work in Unity Pro
    • Work in Unity (free) with emulated asynchronous loading
    • Use NGUI, uGUI or built-in GUI system to create loading screen visuals
    • Display loading progress as a loading bar (again NGUI, uGUI and built-in)
    • Optionally wait for a player interaction after the loading is finished (messages like "Press anywhere to start")
    • Use 3 included loading themes as you want!
    Themes

Purchase

Mad Level Manager: Loading Screens is available for purchase on Unity Asset Store for a price of $15! Please remember, that you are required to own Mad Level Manager to work with MLM: Loading Screens!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. genail

genail

Loading Screens are getting an update to 1.1!

1.1 version will fix some issues and add some features needed by many game developers. Here's a list:

1. Ignore Object By Name - It's a common practice to create for example a _Music object and execute on it DontDestroyOnLoad(). Loading screens are destroying all known objects on shut down, so you most probably want to ignore these persistent objects to the ignore list.
    2. Set Time Scale To One - Loading screens are setting time scale to 0 until the game is visible. Now you can choose if it should set it to 1 (default behavior) or keep it still at 0.
    3. Notify on level load and level shown - You can now SendMessage() to any object when the level has been loaded and when it became visible.

Loading Screens 1.1 will be released in 1-2 weeks from now depending on the duration of Unity team review process.

Cheers!
    Piotr

RoyalCoder likes this.
  3. genail

genail

Loading Screens 1.1 is now available!

Asset Mad Level Manager: Loading Screens 1.1 is now available in the Unity Asset Store. Read more to learn about new features in this version.

Don’t Destroy Objects

This is the most important improvement introduced in this version. Until now Loading Screens 1.0 has been destroying all scene objects after the loading is completed. There are cases when you don’t want all objects to be destroyed like audio or some other management object marked with DontDestroyOnLoad(). Unfortunately currently there’s no way to tell if a game object has been marked that way, so in 1.1 We’ve introduced Don’t Destroy Objects field. Just fill it with persistent object names and Loading Screens script won’t be destroying these objects no more.

Notifications on level load and on level show

You may want to get notified when the level is loaded and when it is visible to the player. Please remember that the level can be loaded and hidden from the user until he/she will press the screen (“press anywhere to start” for example), that’s why there are two separate notifications instead of just one. The good example to use notifications is to start the music just before the level is shown.

Fixed iOS support

Usually iOS textures are imported very differently that on the other platforms. Loading Screens 1.1 is fixing this difference.

New Boogaloo font

The new Mad Level Manager version is introducing the new, better Boogaloo font created using BMFont. Loading Screens is using it by default.

How to upgrade

First please make sure that you have the latest Mad Level Manager package imported into your project! If not, you may encounter visual or compile errors.

In order to upgrade the package:

1. Open Unity 3D,
    2. Go to Window -> Asset Store (Ctrl + 9) from the main menu.
    3. Click on the purchased content icon.
    4. Use the Search field to find Loading Screens.
    5. On the right you will find the Update button. Click on it.
    6. If you’re not seeing the Update button, this means that you have the latest version downloaded to the local storage and you may need to press the Import button to make sure that your newest package is imported.

4. RoyalCoder

RoyalCoder

Hi Piotr, I'm using Loading Screens for Mad Level Manager plugin, and I am very very satisfied ;) ...I want to suggest you a feature that in my opinion will be very usefull for Loading Screens : the possibility to show random text like: tips, hints, quotes etc. during waiting !

5. genail

genail

Hello Dorin,
    Great suggestion! Thanks! :) I will try to implement it in the next version!

Cheers!
    Piotr

RoyalCoder likes this.
  6. RoyalCoder

RoyalCoder

Hi Piotr,
    Any news about my suggestion with random text during waiting ?!
    Thanks in advance !

7. genail

genail

Hi!
    Yes, it will be released with the next version next week :)
    Currently I have some issues to deal with that are related with the release of Unity 5.

Cheers!
    Piotr

RoyalCoder likes this.
  8. RoyalCoder

RoyalCoder

Hello Piotr,
    Thanks a lot for this great feature implementation, work's perfect like expected ;)
    Keep up your good job !

genail likes this.
  9. RoyalCoder

RoyalCoder

Hey @genial ,

What is this method CheckIgnorePointer ? Causing me this issue:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MadLevelManager.MadPanel.CheckIgnorePointer (System.Boolean& ignorePointer) (at Assets/Mad Level Manager/Scripts/Mad2D/MadPanel.cs:409)
    MadLevelManager.MadPanel.UpdateTouchInput () (at Assets/Mad Level Manager/Scripts/Mad2D/MadPanel.cs:280)
    MadLevelManager.MadPanel.UpdateInput () (at Assets/Mad Level Manager/Scripts/Mad2D/MadPanel.cs:265)
    MadLevelManager.MadPanel.Update () (at Assets/Mad Level Manager/Scripts/Mad2D/MadPanel.cs:256)

Thanks !

10. genail

genail

Hi Dorin!

"Publish the package" they said. "This is a small change, it does not require any testing" they said... :)
    What Unity version are you using? I'm hacking in to Unity API and it seems like something it does not work.

To fix this please replace MadPanel.cs:408

if (EventSystem.current != null) {
    to
    if (EventSystem.current != null && uGUIGetLastPointerMethod != null) {

Cheers!
    Piotr

11. RoyalCoder

RoyalCoder

genail likes this.
  12. shashwatanand

shashwatanand

Hi
    I am having This Error Meassage
    Assets/MLM Loading Screens Addon/Scripts/Editor/LoadingScreenInspector.cs(138,32): error CS0310: The type `string' must have a public parameterless constructor in order to use it as parameter `T' in the generic type or method `MadLevelManager.MadGUI.ArrayList<T>'
    Thanks in advance and your Mad level Manager is Really very good.

13. genail

genail

Hello @shashwatanand,

I don't see on line 138 anything that may be causing that issue? Do you have the latest version of loading screens installed in your project?

Cheers!
    Piotr