Search Unity

Loading Screen Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Democide, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Democide

Democide

This is the thread to put in all information, announcements and questions into one place. This first post will be updated as we go along. Feel free to follow or reach out to me on twitter at @mnerurkar.

What is Loading Screen Pro?
    You need a loading screen between scenes of your game? That's what this asset does. It's incredibly quick to include in your project and the visuals of your loading screen are yours to design as you wish using the Unity UI system! And if you don't want to do that, you can use one of the included ones!

Also as bonus, this asset includes the Health & Progress Bar Pro asset! Find out more about it here!

• One line integration into your project
    • 8 pre-designed loading scenes and more to come...
    • Show preview info (text and image!) about the scene being loaded
    • Can display random game tips
    • Easily extendable

INTERACTIVE DEMO
    Play around with the different loading screens and see how it works in practice

The loading screen is currently still available for a cheap launch price. As I add more features, functionality and prefabs to it or the progress bar, the price will increase accordingly. So grab it now!

More coming soon, stay tuned.

2. HeathC

HeathC

I bought your asset but I need an easy way to use it with Playmaker... can you please cook up a playmaker action to load scenes with?

3. Democide

Democide

Sure. Can you send me the basic playmaker Load Scenes action?

4. Democide

Democide

Here's two very simple playmaker actions! Just copy & paste them into their respective files with the names given above the code blocks. That should do it.

Note that I did not have a chance to test them yet so if there's anything wrong with them, please let me know so I can fix it.

LoadLevelScreenPro.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    1. namespace HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions
    2. {
    3.     [ActionCategory(ActionCategory.Level)]
    4.     [Tooltip("Loads a Level by Name. NOTE: Before you can load a level, you have to add it to the list of levels defined in File->Build Settings...")]
    5.     public class LoadLevelScreenPro : FsmStateAction
    6.     {
    7.         [RequiredField]
    8.         [Tooltip("The name of the level to load. NOTE: Must be in the list of levels defined in File->Build Settings... ")]
    9.         public FsmString levelName;
    11.         public override void Reset()
    12.         {
    13.             levelName = "";
    14.         }
    16.         public override void OnEnter()
    17.         {
    18.             if (!Application.CanStreamedLevelBeLoaded(levelName.Value))
    19.             {
    20.                 Finish();
    21.                 return;
    22.             }
    24.             LoadingScreenPro.LoadScene(levelName.Value);
    25.             Finish();
    26.         }
    27.     }
    28. }
    LoadLevelScreenProNum.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    1. namespace HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions
    2. {
    3.     [ActionCategory(ActionCategory.Level)]
    4.     [Tooltip("Loads a Level by Index number. Before you can load a level, you have to add it to the list of levels defined in File->Build Settings...")]
    5.     public class LoadLevelScreenProNum : FsmStateAction
    6.     {
    7.         [RequiredField]
    8.         [Tooltip("The level index in File->Build Settings")]
    9.         public FsmInt levelIndex;
    11.         public override void Reset()
    12.         {
    13.             levelIndex = null;
    14.         }
    16.         public override void OnEnter()
    17.         {
    18.             if (!Application.CanStreamedLevelBeLoaded(levelIndex.Value))
    19.             {
    20.                 Finish();
    21.                 return;
    22.             }
    24.             LoadingScreenPro.LoadScene(levelIndex.Value);
    25.             Finish();
    26.         }
    27.     }
    28. }
    Edit: corrected script

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  5. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

How to disable Random Game Tips, "showRandomTip = false" in the LoadingScreenConfig does not work?

EDIT: My fault, found it. Great asset! ;)

6. Democide

Democide

You need to edit the settings in the config asset, not in the script. I assume that was the issue? Also thanks for the kind words. If you've got time to write a review that'd be really appreciated :D

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  7. alebhayan_1983

alebhayan_1983

Dear Democide,
    I have just purchased your product "LoadingScreen Pro". It is very nice. Great job !.
    However, i have a quick question. I would like to make a loading function that does not divert to the loading screen.
    I would like to stay on the same scene but show a loading progress bar down and then immidiatly progress to the next scene. Can you help me with this.

Kind regards

M Alebhayan

8. Democide

Democide

Hey. Thanks for the purchase. Unfortunately that's not something the loading screen currently supports and it's not super simple to describe to you. I'll see if that's something I can add in the future but I can make no promises..

9. Stankiem

Stankiem

Hmm, I've followed the instructions and implemented this however it just loads up the loadingscreenpro scene but never proceeds to my 2nd scene. No errors or anything.. Is the newest version still working ok?

10. AlphaGTR

AlphaGTR

Interested in your plugin; would it be easy to change the white circle loading (0% to 100%) from white to gray?

11. Filhanteraren

Filhanteraren

Hi purchased your asset and really like it so far. My question is if its possible to have different loading screens in your project. I want for example like to have one type of loading screen when I load between menus, and a different one when loading between levels and so on?

I figured I might just change "loadingSceneName" var from another script, would that be the preferred way?

12. DennisHobbs

DennisHobbs

Hi,

Ive just purchased your loader, your demo works OK in 5.6.2F1, but I was thinking that I could just put PS-LoadingScene_1, into my project and that would autorun my main scene called ShopVR, when I try to run the scene I get a loading screen displayed that does not seem to load the scene defined in the build setting and I get an error that LoadScreenPro directly tried to load a scene without an name or id.

I have both scenes in the build manger and the scene name in the Loadingsceneconfig I dont have a scene loader at startup as I only have one sceen but it takes a while to load, hense needing a progress bar.

Will you plugin do what I need or do I need towrite my own a async routine.

All the best
    Dennis

13. UDN_449900de-7c34-4a67-83eb-fa8501bf0413

UDN_449900de-7c34-4a67-83eb-fa8501bf0413

Hey i was thinking, is it possible to add more images then 1? Like a slide show?

14. Democide

Democide

Yeah, that is doable. It will require some changes to the existing system. For one you'd have to extend the definitions for each scene to hold more than one image, and then you'd need to change the part of the loading screen that accesses that to either control a slideshow or show them all at the same time.

It's not something that will work out of the box.

15. Democide

Democide

Sorry for replying only now. For some reason the Unity Forum didn't notify me of the post, or I missed it. Are you still having trouble?

16. Democide

Democide

Yes, changing the colors of things is pretty trivial. All you need to do is open the loading scene and change the visuals.

17. Democide

Democide

That is in fact how I'm doing it in the example scene. If you take a look at that you can see that the different buttons first set the loadingSceneName and then start the loading process. That's probably the quickest way to do it. An alternative would be to have a version of the LoadScene method that can take a custom loadingScene and that then ignores the var if that value is not null. I hope that helps!

18. Democide

Democide

You can not load the Loading Scene and then have it auto-load another scene. At least not without changing anything. The easiest way would be to add a third scene, that's the first scene in the Build Settings. This scene is practically empty. All it has is a script that, on Start loads the LoadingScene with the appropriate parameters. That would then very quickly load the Loading Screen and display a bar as you want.

Note that this requires you to set up a third scene. If that is not a feasible option you can modify the LoadingScene script so that it loads a scene by default when it's opened. Just check the line where the "tried to load scene without name or id" appears and around there you should be able to instead set a default name or id. That would be another option but requires you to make changes to the script, which may be troublesome if you want to update.

19. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

I tried your webdemo, and at each fade-in there is a lag where the background image is half visible, and Unity does some work, then the background image finally (after like 0.5 s) becomes 100% opaque.
    So there's a lag.

This doesn't look professional. Are you going to change that?

I also think that what one requested - autoloading another scene after X seconds or a button press - is required for many people.

In any case, thanks for the webplayer, this way people can rule out problems before purchasing, that's good.

Some questions:
    1) Your asset can fade a canvas and its contents, is that correct?
    2) Can you include a sample scene that includes particles on the camera?
    3) I have a persistant screen that plays music and which holds my inventory with DontDestroyOnLoad. How would that work when I use your asset?
    Should Ioad my persistent screen and from there, your LevelLoader?
    4) Does your example actually do something when the progressbar appears? Like doing some arbitrary work that would show us where / how we should pre-load the scene?
    I think this would be important just for debugging so that you can see yourself where problems might occur.

Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  20. Democide

Democide

I assume you're talking about the fade from black on the loading screen? That's because the loading starts ASAP and doesn't wait for the fade to end. That's easily changeable though, if you want to lengthen the load time by the fade time.

And in regards to your question:

1) In fact no, the asset does no manual fading on the game scenes. There is support for a fade in the loading scene (which is done via a simple black overlay). In the web demo I've added manual fading on the "game scene"

2) I'm not sure what you mean by "particles on the camera". Are you referring to particles in the game scene? Or the loading scene?

3) Since it's set to DontDestroyOnLoad it would simply remain and keep playing in the background. Depending on how your game is set up it might make sense to load that first and then the level loader.

4) Again, not quite sure about the question. Can you rephrase?

Thanks! I hope that helps :D

21. Spinehair

Spinehair

Hey! Love the asset thank you for providing, and for adding the progress bar framework in the asset as well, very helpful!

One question, Moving my Player to the scene loaded after the screen is done, to a specific spawn point in the new scene... is this already supported somewhere or do i have to code my own MoveGameOBjectToScene section within a child class?

22. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

I'm interested in the asset. But I'm wondering why it is at a v0.8. Is this considered a beta release?
    Thanks.

23. Democide

Democide

Hey Spinehair: That's not supported yet. It's something you would have to do manually but it may be something I can add. I'll note it down.

TTTTTa: Not beta. It's very stable and works well. I just wanted to have more loading scenes in there than I had so I went with 0.8 for the release. Haven't really found time to add more and update to 1.0.

ArachnidAnimal and 600 like this.
  24. sonicviz

sonicviz

Hi,

I have a few questions after buying this.

I just bought your asset and immediately struck a project build error because of a class name conflict.

Would you be able to namespace your project please?

Also, why is the text on your asset description exactly the same as the pdf in this asset?
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/98505

eg: The example loading scenes are built using the Unity UI but you can create 3d loading scenes if you want with no difficulty. All the source code is included so you can extend the assets as much as you want!

among others.

I have the same use case (for VR) as the question above, but cannot understand your answer:

"You can not load the Loading Scene and then have it auto-load another scene. At least not without changing anything. The easiest way would be to add a third scene, that's the first scene in the Build Settings. This scene is practically empty. All it has is a script that, on Start loads the LoadingScene with the appropriate parameters. That would then very quickly load the Loading Screen and display a bar as you want.

Note that this requires you to set up a third scene. If that is not a feasible option you can modify the LoadingScene script so that it loads a scene by default when it's opened. Just check the line where the "tried to load scene without name or id" appears and around there you should be able to instead set a default name or id. That would be another option but requires you to make changes to the script, which may be troublesome if you want to update."

I don't find any "tried to load scene without name or id"

Could you please explain more clearly how to do this?

ty

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  25. sonicviz

sonicviz

Okay I got it working using an empty scene loader.

I think you should include an example for this use case as it's quite common and you completely skip over it.

26. sonicviz

sonicviz

Update:
    It doesn't seem to work fully in my context. I have a scene that's loading a large number of audio files and meshes via prefabs. It's an IL2CPP UWP project, and the loading scene only shows very quickly. There's a long load time between when you start the app, then a quick load screen, then it goes to the main scene. I'm assuming here the initial long load time is Unity loading prefabs/assets, then it loads the scene elements proper and there's not much of them so it's quite quick.

How can I test if the loading scene is correctly monitoring memory loading off all assets?

Update:
    It could be related to
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/blackout-in-additive-scene-loading-in-wmr-headset.509171/
    https://github.com/Microsoft/MixedRealityToolkit-Unity/issues/862

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  27. Democide

Democide

Hey @sonicviz, sorry for the delay. Let me get back to all your questions:

1. Class Name Conflict

What class gave you a conflict? I did namespace most of it but for convenience I kept the parts that users directly interact with via script out of the namespace - specifically LoadingScreenPro and LoadingScreenTrigger and LoadingScreenProBase. But to be honest, I could have still put most of those in a namespace without breaking anything.

It's a bit iffy adding a namespace now since it might break people's code if they update.

2. Text reptition

Honestly, I have no idea. Since my loading screen pro was released in April 2017 and the asset you linked to was released in September 2017 I assume they just copy & pasted some of my text? I could just be a coincidence.

3. Loading explanation

The text I referred to has since been changed to be more readable. It's now "Directly loaded a scene with Loading Screen Pro without setting target Scene index or name"

It is in Line 83 of LoadingScreenProBase. It's being hit if you load the Loading Scene directly. In these cases there's no info for the LoadingScreenPro which scene to load so it's stuck there. If you want you can put in a default case here to always load Scene X when the LoadingScreenPro scene is loaded directly, and then put the loading scene as your first build scene.

So game starts, game loads loading scene. Loading scene knows what to do by default and loads your first scene.

Alternatively, if you don't want to fiddle with the code there for Asset Update reasons:

Game Starts, loads scene A. Scene A is empty and only start the Loading Screen on Start(). Loading scene is loaded and has been given a target scene. It then loads your first scene.

Either of these approaches is valid. I'd go with the latter, since that would allow you to use that first scene to display some icons/intros if you want, do controller checks, savegame stuff. Whatever.

I will consider putting in an example scene and script for that. Good idea.

4. Loading Scene / Large Assets

There is unfortunately very little I can do about that, I think. As you describe it it looks to be based on the way Unity is loading things.

28. gfnfhhfdhfd

gfnfhhfdhfd

Just purchased this. I get this compiler error:

Assets/PS-ProgressBar/Scripts/ProgressBarPro.cs(104,26): error CS0117: `Utils' does not contain a definition for `EaseSinInOut'

29. gfnfhhfdhfd

gfnfhhfdhfd

OK that's fixed now. However, I have another thing I need to do:

I want to add a fixed amount of time to the loading screen which will either: 1) make the entire loading animation longer, or 2) pause the loading animation for a fixed amount of time. Any ideas on how I can do this easily?

30. Democide

Democide

Depending on when and how you want to do it, you could change the behavior after load to "Continue Automatically" and then set the "timeToAutoContinue" to the time you want it to pause. Both are options on the Loading Screen script in the actual loading screen.

31. ashleebeggs

ashleebeggs

How do I fix the error: Assets/PS-ProgressBar/Scripts/ProgressBarPro.cs(104,26): error CS0117: `Utils' does not contain a definition for `EaseSinInOut' ?? Thanks

32. ashleebeggs

ashleebeggs

How did you fix this?

33. Democide

Democide

So the issue you describe is based on the fact that Utils wasn't properly namespaced and thus could sometimes cause this issue. I've just pushed an update to the asset store that fixes the issue mentioned above and should also fix this namespace issue. What I also can recommend is that you delete the playful systems folders and re-import the entire asset. This might also solve the issue since it's possible that installing an update without deleting the folder might cause this.

34. ashleebeggs

ashleebeggs

Great thanks so much!

35. eblumrich

eblumrich

I am trying to figure out this asset.

I look at your documentation:

1. Select a scene from those included or create your own
    2. Add your intended scene to the Unity build settings (there's a handy button on the LoadingScreenPro inspector that takes care of that for you)
    3. Edit a single line in the LoadingScreenConfig script to the name of your loading screen
    4. Replace all calls to load a scene in your game with LoadingScreenPro.LoadScene(string) or LoadingScreenPro.LoadScene(int)

Steps 1 is easy.

In step two:

I am assuming you are saying that I need to add the loader screen to the build. I duplicated one of your scenes, re-named it, and put it in my project's "assets" folder.

Step three:

"Edit a single line in the LoadingScreenConfig script to the name of your loading screen "

It would be extremely helpful if you told me where said line is. Understand, in the tutorial video you created on youtube, when you get to this part in the instruction, you are quickly switching between screens on a second-by-second basis, with no description of what file(s) you are working on, and what you are doing.

When I changed the string I THOUGHT you were referring to, and ran the loader scene, It certainly didn't open the target scene, when a key was pressed.

When I purchased the asset, I was sold on how "easy" I was told it would be to integrate. I've been working in Unity for almost two years, and I couldn't make head nor tail of this, after almost a month of trying.

Any clarification regarding how to implement this asset into a unity project would be greatly appreciated.

36. Democide

Democide

Hey Eblumrich,

thanks for reaching out and sorry you're having such trouble. I hope I can help you. So, let's get to it:

Step 2:
    Just copying the scene and putting it into assets does not do the trick. You actually need to add your loading scene to the build settings, otherwise Unity can not load it properly. You can find out more about the Build Setttings here.

Step 3:
    Before I get started, here's some terms to make sure we don't talk past each other:

The Loading / Loader Scene, that is the scene that displays the loading bar etc.
    The Target Scene, this is the scene you're trying to ultimately load

Now, the line that's being referred to is line 16 in the LoadingScreenConfig script:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. namespace PlayfulSystems.LoadingScreen {
    6.     public class LoadingScreenConfig : ScriptableObject {
    8.         // ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    9.         // IMPORTANT!
    10.         //
    11.         // This is the NAME of your loading scene. Change it to match your scene.
    12.         // Make sure that the loading scene is also added to your build settings.
    13.         //
    14.         // !!!EDIT HERE!!!
    15.         // ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    16.         static public string loadingSceneName = "PS-LoadingScene_5";
    Simply change "PS-LoadingScene_5" to the name of your loading scene. Note that this is the name of your loading scene (aka the copy of the scene you just made), not the target scene!

Also, not sure how you're doing when you say "and ran the loader scene". Please be aware that you can not simply load or open the loading/loader scene. You need to use LoadingScreenPro.LoadScene(TARGETSCENE) to start the loading process. The only place you ever need to put the target scene is in the line of code above.

Does that help? If not, please let me know what's unclear.

37. eblumrich

eblumrich

It helped, partially. I was with you, until I reached this:

"You need to use LoadingScreenPro.LoadScene(TARGETSCENE) to start the loading process. The only place you ever need to put the target scene is in the line of code above."

Where do I find this line of code? I don't see it in the LoadingScreenConfig.

38. Democide

Democide

It's not in the loading screen config. - it goes wherever you want to LOAD a scene from, some part in your code.

Using Unity you'd use UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager.LoadScene(TARGETNAME) or something like it. Instead of that you need to use LoadingScreenPro.LoadScene(TARGETNAME).

Granted if you want to load the scene without using code, there's also a loadingSceneTrigger script that you can trigger through a button.

39. eblumrich

eblumrich

I am completely confused. and unfortunately don't understand what the above means, in the context of your product, or the instructions given.

Where is this "some part of my code?" I need to know the document, and where such would be located.

"Using Unity you'd use UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager.LoadScene(TARGETNAME) or something like it. Instead of that you need to use LoadingScreenPro.LoadScene(TARGETNAME)."

Where do I do this? Again, I need to know the document, and where such would be located.

Please understand: I am not trying to be difficult - I am simply trying to find out how to integrate your product, as advertised.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  40. Democide

Democide

No problem! We may want to move this to e-mail - or better yet discord/skype - that might be quicker? If that's an option, please get in touch with the support mail (you can find it in the asset docs) and we can take it to a better medium.

That said to help I need to better understand your setup. So, my initial question is:

Where do you load the new scene that you want the loading scene to be used on? (i.e.: What does it look like for the player)

And as a follow up: How is this accomplished CURRENTLY in your project? (i.e.: What did you do to make it work as is - no loading screen)

41. eblumrich

eblumrich

The scenes are currently loaded via the ORK framework.

The scene is loaded, when the player enters a "scene changer" object- the scene name is called through the blue highlighted box on the upper right- is this where I would put the code you are referring to?

upload_2018-11-14_13-20-14.png

42. f1chris

f1chris

The way my game is designed I have one MainMenu scene where I’m selecting my levels and kicking Loading Screen from there.

The thing is I have one mainscene and one additive scene for the level. Loading screen is working perfectly when loading one scene but in my case where i have one mainscene + 1 additive scene to load I can’t make it works.

Any hints ?

Thx in advance

43. Democide

Democide

@eblumrich: Well, the problem is that the ORK framework always uses the unity method, not the Loading Screen Pro method. We had this issue in the past and I think what you can do is use the LOADING SCREEN TRIGGER script that's included, and then use a more generic ORK trigger that uses the method from the loading screen trigger instead, if that makes sense. I Have little experience with ORK, so I don't really know.

And @f1chris: The Loading Screen currently does not support additive scenes. If you just want to load the scene additively, you could do so via the default unity methods. Alternatively if you want to load multiple scenes at once, you could change the script to give it an array of scenes and it then loads all of those additively, but that requires some changes to the loading screen. Maybe you can explain some more what you're trying to do?

f1chris likes this.
  44. eblumrich

eblumrich

Okay, so I wasted my money.

Not your fault- I integrated ORK after buying your product, so I'll have to mark it up to poor research, on my part.

Not the first time I bought an asset that I couldn't use.

Ah, well.

45. Erwin-j

Erwin-j

Hi,

I purchased your asset today but I ran against a rather weird issue.
    After using a button On Click() method that would call the LoadingScreenPro.LoadScene(0) it seems to show the loading screen at 100% after a while. So for some reason it looks like the loading screen is not triggered or shown after the click, but is after fully loading the scene. I can simply continue after loading and it will take me to the scene I wanted to load.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

46. Democide

Democide

@eblumrich: I'm not sure it's entirely useless, but I'm not sure how to properly integrate it, having no experience with ORK myself.

@OkamiXaR: Are you testing in a build or in editor? The loading behavior is different in editor (it has to load a lot more things) so delays that don't happen in a build can show up.

47. wuselrob3

wuselrob3

Hi,

I'm having issues with the latest update of Loading Screen Pro (Unity 2018.2.19f1)
    I have a "HorizontalSlimWithGlow" bar in my scene and everything worked great.
    After updating there are no references in the "Views" array anymore so I get NullReferenceExceptions on ProgressBarPro.cs#70

When I check the Bar and Glow child GameObjects, I can see that the associated scripts couldn't be loaded.
    ViewSizeAnchors, ViewColor, ViewPosAnchors, ViewColorWhileMoving)

There are no compiling errors. Do you know how I can fix the issue?

This plugin is really great by the way! :)

Thank you!
    Robert

48. Democide

Democide

Huh. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll have a look and see what's wrong. It might be something that happened in converting the asset to Unity 2018!

49. Democide

Democide

Okay @wuselrob3, this is strange. I've just opened the asset in 2018.2 but I have no such issues on the prefab you mentioned. Can you try again in a new, empty project and see if you have the same issue locally? If not then it's got to be something in the project you're working in.

You can also get in touch via the support mail you can find in the readme. That usually leads to a faster turnaround...

50. MateAndor

MateAndor

Hello! I purchased the asset and i have a problem.
    I created a "Splash" screen. In this on the Start() i load the loadingScene: SceneManager.LoadScene("Loading");
    On android build the splash screen show but the loading screen not show immediately i need to wait seconds to show and when the loading screen show its on 64%.
    I use UMA and i know the UMA Dynamic Character System loading time is slow on older mobile phones but its not looks good :/

I use Load Additively.