Search Unity

Livity - The Live Coding Tool for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by bamboo, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Arkade

Arkade

Hi,
    In case this asset is still being developed and/or someone else suffers the same problem, here's a bug report...

Symptom: The errors below (various "Invalid editor window") are output and game won't run.
    Cause: Having docked the Game window (after having it undocked while having second monitor plugged-in).
    Workaround: Undocking the Game window removes errors.
    Reason not a solution:
    Project now *requires* undocked Game window!
    Removing Livity from the project does not fix (produces other errors about Livity DLLs not being found)!

This is a lovely handy asset but its bugs can be kinda insidious. Do hope Rodrigo is ok whatever happened to him!
    Thanks, Rupert.

Code (csharp):
    1. Invalid editor window Livity.Text.UI.Editor.Popups.ListPopup
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    3. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    4. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:CheckWindowConsistency() (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\WindowLayout.cs:55)
    5. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:MaximizePresent(EditorWindow, View) (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\WindowLayout.cs:461)
    6. UnityEditor.EditorApplicationLayout:FinalizePlaymodeLayout() (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\EditorApplicationLayout.cs:82)
    8. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/Editor/Mono/GUI/WindowLayout.cs Line: 55)
    10. Invalid editor window Livity.Text.UI.Editor.Popups.TextPopup
    11. UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    12. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    13. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:CheckWindowConsistency() (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\WindowLayout.cs:55)
    14. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:MaximizePresent(EditorWindow, View) (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\WindowLayout.cs:461)
    15. UnityEditor.EditorApplicationLayout:FinalizePlaymodeLayout() (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\EditorApplicationLayout.cs:82)
    17. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/Editor/Mono/GUI/WindowLayout.cs Line: 55)
    19. Invalid editor window Livity.Text.UI.Editor.Popups.ListPopup
    20. UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    21. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    22. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:CheckWindowConsistency() (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\WindowLayout.cs:55)
    23. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:MaximizePresent(EditorWindow, View) (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\WindowLayout.cs:461)
    24. UnityEditor.EditorApplicationLayout:FinalizePlaymodeLayout() (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\EditorApplicationLayout.cs:82)
    26. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/Editor/Mono/GUI/WindowLayout.cs Line: 55)
    28. Invalid editor window Livity.Text.UI.Editor.Popups.TextPopup
    29. UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    30. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    31. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:CheckWindowConsistency() (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\WindowLayout.cs:55)
    32. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:MaximizePresent(EditorWindow, View) (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\WindowLayout.cs:461)
    33. UnityEditor.EditorApplicationLayout:FinalizePlaymodeLayout() (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\EditorApplicationLayout.cs:82)
    35. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/Editor/Mono/GUI/WindowLayout.cs Line: 55)
    37. Invalid editor window Livity.Text.UI.Editor.Popups.TextPopup
    38. UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    39. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    40. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:CheckWindowConsistency() (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\WindowLayout.cs:55)
    41. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:MaximizePresent(EditorWindow, View) (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\WindowLayout.cs:461)
    42. UnityEditor.EditorApplicationLayout:FinalizePlaymodeLayout() (at C:\BuildAgent\work\d3d49558e4d408f4\Editor\Mono\GUI\EditorApplicationLayout.cs:82)
    44. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/Editor/Mono/GUI/WindowLayout.cs Line: 55)

2. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Now that this asset is on a 70% discount I'd really like to give it a try but apparently it's "abandonaware" at this stage. Too bad for such an innovative plugin!!

3. Nutter

Nutter

I'm the same, was tempted by the discount but not if it's bugged.

4. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

It used to be a solid plugin but then the author just let it collect cyber dust. It's time to add some Love back into this package.

5. dualite2

dualite2

I'm waiting update for Playmaker.
    The developper need to wake up.

6. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

I bought this plugin at the start of the madness sale after seeing a demo and seeing how it could increase the productivity of my workflow by twofold but I for the life of me cant get it to work. I'm not using playmaker nor any plugins that could interfere with it. I am sad now seeing how it seems abandoned. I will try working with it some more to try and get it working.

Here is the error I get whenever I try to live code:

Code (csharp):
    1. System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'D:\Unity\Project\Temp/Livity\Temp\SB97F5C0.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    2. File name: 'D:\Unity\Project\Temp/Livity\Temp\SB97F5C0.dll'
    3.   at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:LoadFrom (string,bool)
    4.   at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom (System.String assemblyFile) [0x00000] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/Assembly.cs:520
    5.   at Livity.Features.LiveCoding.CSharpProvider.CompilationResult.get_GeneratedAssembly () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    6.   at Livity.Features.LiveCoding.Framework.Internal.LiveCodeTracker.OnCodeChange (Livity.Languages.ParsingResultSnapshot parsingResultSnapshot) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  7. JRuby

JRuby

Is there a way to have this plugin not update as you are in the middle of typing? Live coding is great but I only want changes to be evaluated when I'm DONE typing. Otherwise you get things like typing "internal" being parsed as "int" and throwing an error.

8. Dosetsu

Dosetsu

Is this package still supported by the author?

9. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

Nope seems abandoned. A dang shame at that too. I tried my hardest to get it working but it simply won't. I ended up uninstalling it from Visual Studio 2013 Professional Edition as it started causing 'UnhandledMemoryException' errors for the plugin dll that you can download. I ended up losing about 30 minutes worth of good coding. Very sad seeing how this was peddled during the madness sale. Would have loved for this to work out. If anyone else starts having random crashes in Visual studio, the culprit is probably the plugin if you are using it. Happened to me after about 5 days of using it with no issues.

10. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

This brings up an important point.

In the eyes of both the buyers and sellers of assets, Unity's asset store serves both the role of being a Representative for asset makers and an official seller of assets to the customers. This middle-man role is similar to Amazon, Apple, etc. The asset store is making quite remarkable revenues for Unity taking 30% from each sale. The most lucrative hardware maker is Apple and they are only making 20% profit. In this case, Unity is essentially printing free money by selling these assets, it doesn't have to touch one line of code and all of the support is handled by the asset makers. Great business model. Amazon works in a similar way but it does a lot more work and it really respects its customers. If one buys something from their store and it breaks, they actively replace the product and to ensure that sellers are offering the quality that its customers are paying for.

The Asset Store has grown over the last 2 years and has become very successful. This is a great thing and it benefits both the asset makers and buyers. As the number of assets in the asset store increases exponentially, those in charge of running the asset store need to adopt a better standard of quality assurance to its paying customers. It is a well known fact that many developers prefer to buy from the asset store instead of the asset maker's own website because they trust that Unity will act in their behalf should there be any problems with the asset. The active promotion and selling of known "Abandon-ware" over the long run will be very detrimental to the confidence and trust of those who are supporting the asset store ecosystem.

twobob and _MGB_ like this.
  11. rhodnius

rhodnius

Is there a way to remove livity from a project? i did and now i cant use my project because of this error

Code (CSharp):
    1. Internal compiler error. See the console log for more information. output was:
    2. Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
    4.   at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
    6.   at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    8.   at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    10.   at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespace (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    12.   at Mono.CSharp.GlobalRootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    14.   at Mono.CSharp.Driver.LoadReferences () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    16.   at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Compile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    18.   at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

12. rhodnius

rhodnius

Only way i found is to reisntall it, and leave it there :(

13. Jaimi

Jaimi

I was able to do this once, but I can't recall the exact steps. I believe it involved hand editing all the project files.

14. rhodnius

rhodnius

Thanks for your reply!

Dang, thats not that good, and also doesnt seem to sound straightforward to do :(

15. rhodnius

rhodnius

@Jaimi Thanks! that worked out!, here is what i did, in case it helps someone else:

1. Closed Unity
    2. Deleted the entire Livity folder in Assets folder
    3. Edited manually all the .booproj . csproj .unityproj and deleted all the lines that related to Livity
    4. Saved all edited project files
    5. Opened Unity, first time it would give you a bunch of errors that say that some files couldn't be found, just close Unity and open it up again and it should be fine.

Cheers,

Rhod,

16. nomax5

nomax5

I found this Asset in the Wrong way!

So guy invents a new programming language
    Guy works for Unity for almost 4 years
    Guy leaves Unity and releases an IDE Asset on the Asset Store

Why have I only just found out about this?

Now I suffer from socionetaphobia which is a common affliction where the patient believes that almost everyone on the internet is a twat and is therefore unable to log into social networks without becoming depressed.

Despite my affliction I should have known about this asset, Why has it got 3 stars? What kind of crappy rating system allows that to happen?

Big breath

It's okay I've found it now.

I thought I'd post the bizarre route I took to find this asset and learn about its author:

Frustrated with mono I Googled "c# editor"

visited lots of forum pages where peeps were comparing Visual Studio and mono

noticed one tiny post where someone mentioned "I use Livity"

Googled Livity

learned " Livity is a 1981 reggae album by Prince Far I. Livity is a word used by Rastafarians to refer to the energy or life-force that flows through all living things."

Took a Guess that it was on the Unity Asset Store
    Searched the asset store - found it
    Meh seems like a good Idea but 3 stars
    Went to the dedicated Unity Forum
    Page 1 all about "Looks Interesting"
    Went to page 7 someone mentioned "abandonaware"
    Went to page 6 to find the last post by bamboo to check if it was still an asset.

I was about to leave and I noticed a post saying the guy who invented boo and worked for unity.... WHAT?

Googled "Rodrigo B. de Oliveira"

Bought the Asset - its a no brainer
    imported it
    is it working?
    what do I do now?
    double clicked a c# script (it opened in the Livity tab )
    I can edit it

When I start typing it pops up with interesting stuff to help me figure out WTF is going on

had it 5 minutes and I love it.

Thanks bamboo, for this and the other stuff you do.
    I nearly missed it...

17. smokingbunny

smokingbunny

i have actually just spotted this as well. shame that the last update was NOV 2013, which is a shame. though i have tried it on a friends and it worked fine in 4.6.whatever
    and so i got it, and like it. it does NEED updating, but so far im quite happy so far. i guess i have not hit any bumps like others have though, at this time ;)

but really its better than loading up monodevelop for me. my computer has a hard time already, so cutting that horse out is good.

nomax5 likes this.
  18. Vectrex

Vectrex

Unity: I know this was an official thing at one stage. WHY isn't it still? With Unreal blueprints breathing down your neck this is a massive upgrade to non-realtime text only. This combined with something like 'Blox 2' with live visualisation like Blueprints would be the ultimate.

Author: Please open source this. It's an incredible waste just rotting away. This is the future of coding and NO-ONE (yes, not even bloody Unreal) is anywhere near close to it.

CanisLupus and OnePxl like this.
  19. vidjo

vidjo

At this point I doubt the author even checks this anymore, it might be wise to try to reach him through email or something else with your plea.

I agree with Vectrex btw.

20. twobob

twobob

The Ode of DLL Hell

So Glad I didn't buy this.
    So Sad I need to type this.
    With our Open Source we smite this
    On your DLL I wipe this.

There should be a LAW that says abandonware MUST be made open source at point of abandonment. All DLL's must be unrolled - or your money back.
    What a great idea, someone should write that down!

Tinjaw likes this.
  21. Vectrex

Vectrex

Not such a crazy idea. When submitting a non-source plugin, Unity could require the source project also. So if they determine the author has disappeared, they can include the source.

twobob likes this.
  22. vidjo

vidjo

That would do wonders for the community

23. twobob

twobob

Aye. True that. And for once I don't even feel bad stealing the thread.

"Threads Dead Man, Threads Dead"

24. kurismakku

kurismakku

The promises of this asset are just amazing. Really sad to hear it is not longer supported...

25. haywirephoenix

haywirephoenix

Hi, I have already purchased script inspector and have just discovered livity. Please can you make a livity plugin for script inspector, the developer has already said he would be willing to do this. I will happily pay the full price of livity as would many others.

26. ChrisHandzlik

ChrisHandzlik

Necroing and stealing this one (sorry!) as I've created an asset that achieves same goal and I think you guys will find it useful.

You can get it on Asset Store

Arkade likes this.
  27. Arkade

Arkade

Nice. Bought your asset. Please link your Unity forum thread here!

28. ChrisHandzlik

ChrisHandzlik