Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Livity - The Live Coding Tool for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by bamboo, Aug 12, 2013.

1. bamboo

bamboo

Change running code on the fly!

Livity is now available on the Asset Store for the promotional launch price of only $25.00!

Live coding, code completion and code navigation for each supported language is sold as a separate package but all the remaining features such as syntax highlighting and typing assistance with smart indentation for all languages (including c#), easy access to a variety of commands through the command palette, quick asset navigation, markdown wiki capabilities and more are included in all packages.

Get it while it's hot and thank you very much for your support!

Livity for UnityScript
    Livity for Boo
    Livity for C#

Livity (All-in-one)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. ZJP

ZJP

Hi....

3. nuverian

nuverian

Until then, I'm sure you can share what this is all about :)

4. PatHightree

PatHightree

Interesting!
    *subscribes to thread*

5. bamboo

bamboo

Hi,

Sorry for the lag, have been really busy with "final" touches :)

I've just posted a video at the top that should give you an idea what is all about.

Cheers,
    bamboo

6. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Wow Bamboo...really fantastic!

7. bamboo

bamboo

8. User340

User340

I still don't understand exactly what it is. Is it basically a script editor built in to Unity (like SI2)?

9. nuverian

nuverian

GREAT work bamboo! That's the power of having an IDE inside unity and seems that you are going to nail it. There is space for so many great things in there on the ground you've allready set.
    I was prepared to see live coding only, but then I've seen that you are actualy also making a nice IDE with more features that such an ide can support.

If you are going to focus on the live coding I have a suggestion to make:
    to make variables changes graphically, as seen on http://livecoding.io/ were you hold control for example and a gui opens depending on the variable type (slider, color picker etc)

On the scripting side and since you are going to have intellisense, it would be great if you could also support info for function arguments.

Well done! It's going to be great

10. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Congratulations on the release Rodrigo! :)

I had the privilege of checking Livity while still on Alpha and let me say, it's a game changer.

Since he's a very shy guy, let me add that Rodrigo is the creator of the amazing Boo language and was one of the key developers for Unity until recently. Now he's taking as a personal mission to finish some stuff he's started back in his Mono Develop contribution days, providing a truly powerful code completion solution for UnityScript (.js), Boo and, soon, C# too. I won't even mention the real time debugging, editing and monitoring features, the video shows it all. Also, considering how quickly he has developed Livity, you can only expect more amazing things to come for this package.

So if I were you, I'd take advantage of the promotional release price. Like: as soon as it's live! ;)

Edit: not in the AS yet, fixed

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  11. CorruptScanline

CorruptScanline

Looks pretty cool. Is this related to the "official" unity code editor you were working on?

12. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

I also think this could be a huge learning tool for people just beginning to code. (Like myself)
    With various code commented out then uncommented to make active and modify etc.

Fine work again from Brazil

13. bamboo

bamboo

Hi _Daniel_,

It's a built in script editor that can monitor the text buffer for changes to @live functions and recompile them on the fly. It doesn't have to recompile the whole project or reload it so the updates are nearly instantaneous.

Just to be completely clear, the video has no cuts other than the obvious ones marked by transitions and there are no reloads. You can really just change code on the fly. It's a lot of fun :)

14. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Holy S***. Looks amazing. This just got bumped to the top of the shopping list!

And how do I do that? I don't see any Asset Store link nor word on the pricing.

15. bamboo

bamboo

It's a fork.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  16. bamboo

bamboo

It's currently pending review on the Asset Store. It should be available soon. MaDDoX advised me to only publish the video once the package was available but I couldn't resist...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  17. bamboo

bamboo

Thanks, nuverian!

I'm very excited with all the possibilities and yes, info for function arguments is definitely on my plans.

Also thanks for the livecoding suggestion and link, makes a lot of sense, consider it added to the roadmap :)

Cheers!

18. bamboo

bamboo

Thanks for your kind words, Breno!

I should have followed your advice and published the video only after the package was already available on the Asset Store but as you can see I couldn't resist... I'm sorry :)

19. User340

User340

@bamboo: Thanks for the info, looks good!

20. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Reminds me of this

And bamboo, you owe us all a pair of pants! Cos we all wet ourselves! :)

21. LearningThis

LearningThis

Looks interesting. I want to learn C# maybe something like this could help.

22. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Haha yeah you got me, I was sure it was already live in the Asset Store ;) Anyways, I'm sure you'll recoup the impulse-buys really soon, this thing is a must-have!

As for my words, just some honest justice-making ^_^ And thanks for the national tap in the back pixelsteam! heh

23. SL-Paul

SL-Paul

good work but will wait for the C# version :)

24. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

I'm subscribed, this is something I use antares universe for and can't live without, I'm addicted to live coding.

25. bamboo

bamboo

Bret Victor's work is amazing and it was indeed a great inspiration. I take it as a great compliment that it could shine through Livity. Thanks!

About the pants... sure :)

26. bamboo

bamboo

Thanks for your interest.

I'm focusing on UnityScript and Boo for the first release. C# code completion and code navigation features will come soon after that and C# live coding some time in the near future.

27. bamboo

bamboo

Thanks, I understand :)

28. sicga123

sicga123

Any hint as to price?

29. bamboo

bamboo

I'm very happy to say that Livity is now available on the Asset Store for the promotional launch price of only $25.00!

Live coding, code completion and code navigation for each supported language is sold as a separate package but all the remaining features such as syntax highlighting and typing assistance with smart indentation for all languages (including c#), script navigation, easy access to a variety of commands through the command palette, markdown wiki capabilities and more are included in all packages.

Be sure to get it while it's hot and thank you very much for your support!

Livity for UnityScript
    Livity for Boo

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  30. dstew

dstew

This looks good! Will get the Boo version C# version (when it comes out, assuming they will work together).
    I've always wanted to learn more about Boo and I think this will help me do it that.

I will wait to see if my currency strengthens a bit. It's been sinking hard and fast lately. :x

31. nuverian

nuverian

Bought it since I'm always after a good IDE for JS. So here is my feedback, question etc so far:

Regarding the live coding, and the editor in general, do I have to "refresh" each time I save a script, and do by "refresh" you mean get out and refocus on the Unity window or mean something else?
    I am a bit confused as of what and when is saved.

--EDIT--
    Nevermind about refresh. Got it, sorry
    --END--

Regarding the editor I miss direct shorcuts for Save, Undo and Comment Line(preferably to CTRL + / to toggle). I'd also like to see bracket highlighting and those vertical lines to show indentation (I don't know how they are called really). Find and Replace for simple refactoring would be great too although I think that with Livity we can have actualy good refactoring.
    Oh yeah, "Cut Whole Line" (SHIFT+DEL for example) and CTRL+[ and ] to move line left and right, is something I am personaly very addicted to in Sublime. I have some more suggestion but I'll stick to them for now :)
    (Although I see that on SHIFT+DEL we get a log that "Command 'Delete' not found" so I guess it's in your plans already?)

I get a "Could not resolve expression.." or "Could not determing location" when GoTo: Definition when said definition is on another script. I guess that's not yet supported?

Finally, I'd like an option in the editor to disable "Opening with Livity" when double clicking a script just in case.

With that said, WELL DONE on both the editor and live coding. Im hooked already regardless my big post :)
    Livecoding in unity is really cool to say at least

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  32. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Ow, I was hoping the editor would be able to cover all 3 languages. So why seperate the editor by the individual language? Will you release a future version which would cover all 3 languages?

33. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

If there's one guy who can do it, that's the one ;) Needless to say, I've hinted towards this VS+Resharper killing feature the very first time I saw Livity running heh

That one I can answer 'coz he already told me - yes :)

34. sinoth

sinoth

Looks awesome! Will be an instant purchase when the C# version lands.

35. samim23

samim23

Amazing, this is a game changer for me. Will purchase when the C# version is out!

36. bamboo

bamboo

Thanks, dstew!

All packages with the same revision (0.1.1, 0.1.2, etc) are compatible with each other and can be simply installed on top of each other in any order.

Finger crossed for your currency :)

37. bamboo

bamboo

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, Nuverian, all your suggestions make a lot of sense and I intend to address all of them.

Undo is currenly bound to ALT+Z on Windows and CTRL+Z on OSX and in fact Livity allows you to define your own shortcuts or even completely take care of keyboard handling for very advanced customizations, I'll be documenting that soon.

Keep the suggestions coming :)

38. Adrian

Adrian

This looks really cool and will definitely be useful to experiment more easily!

Is there going to be a combined package on the asset store that includes all three languages supported by Unity? I used to do a lot of Boo but have switched over to C# because of the lacking tools support and missing documentation. I probably won't buy the Boo version as a separate package but would be happy to have it included in a combined one.

Now I have to wait for Unity 4.2.1, since I'm stuck with 4.1.5 until the property drawers get fixed…

39. PatHightree

PatHightree

C# = insta-buy

40. neoxeo

neoxeo

Instant purchase when the C# version is out !!!

41. mgear

mgear

in the C# train also {F5}

42. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

c# indeed.

43. Jaimi

Jaimi

Can't wait for the C# version. Bring it on! :)

44. dstew

dstew

I'm going to buy it in a few minutes. Don't know why the Canadian dollar is tanking but from what I read it won't get better for a while.

To everyone, give Boo a shot. I'm liking the improved readability of it, compared to C#. My keyboard's {,}, and ; keys have stopped bleeding. :)

----
    Rodrigo, will there be any issues when using Livity and using libraries from different languages? I remember that C# scripts and UnityScript / Boo scripts would work but had to be in a subfolder or something. (maybe that's been fixed in 4.x)

45. PatHightree

PatHightree

I'm wondering if this isn't actually an insta-buy situation for Unity.
    Live coding would be a great new feature and a great way to differentiate itself from the competition.

46. fmarkus

fmarkus

Bought it. Amazing. Completely changes the way we create. Love it! Can't wait for a c# version too!

47. bigSky

bigSky

Any plans for 3.5.7? I bought it, because I like the idea, and the implementation, with the understanding that I can get to it when I upgrade, but for now - is there anything stopping it being made available for us second class citizens?:wink:

48. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Will purchase when the C# version is out!

49. Santtu-S

Santtu-S

C# and You my good sir have a buyer - I hate the ancient MonoDevelop that comes with Unity.

Two questions tho :

If this is a fork of Unity's own in-unity-ide, will we have a possible (free) competitor on the same field in the future?

What about step debugging and breakpoints - are You planning to implement these if possible (I studied, and tried to port the MonoDevelop Unity bridge Xamarin Studio until I started to cry - near impossibility, hack after hack to get it to work)?

50. bamboo

bamboo

Thanks, I'm very glad to hear it! c# version is coming.