Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

List of useful Game designing tools

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Vanamerax, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ckombo

ckombo

Thanks, this may be just what I'm looking for. I'm in Zimbabwe so I need to stay up on ways to work remotely with people.

SAOTA likes this.
  2. sluice

sluice

Really interesting thread. Thanks for taking the time to put this up together!

For file sharing, we use Copy.com, it's easy as dropbox but free and you start with 15GB. The good thing, is when you invite people you both get (the inviter and invitee) a 5GB bonus.

For managing Tasks and Team, we like to use planbox.com. Though this solution is far from cheap.

One note, can also be a nice alternative for Text collaboration.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  3. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I've used Asana (www.asana.com) for collaboration/project management
    OmniGraffle (https://www.omnigroup.com/omnigraffle) is a great graphing chart app alternative to MS Visio for Mac People.

I honestly can't believe MS Excel isn't on that list now, probably the most important design tool in my toolbox.

Google Docs / Google Spreadsheets also for a free version and also collaborative doc sharing / editing

4. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

For me, an invaluable tool is OneNote. It comes pre-installed with Windows 8 (though I think you can download it from somewhere aswell), and it's free. You can make interactive to do-lists, game design documents, plans and text documents in general. The only thing it might lack is support for images, but if you needed images, I'd say use MS Word :)

Also, fantastic thread!

5. Zoladay

Zoladay

So many tools, good!

6. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

I've started designing mechanisms with UMLet, an open-source UML sketching programme, and I heartily recommend it. It's aimed at making quick UML sketches, so it doesn't allow you to generate code from any diagrams, but it's very lightweight and easy to use.

7. khanstruct

khanstruct

Cacoo is another collaborative diagram program. It has some handy templates and chat.

8. babygames

babygames

all suggestion are good. i recommend MS visio is good for desiging.

9. elmar1028

elmar1028

That may sound weird, but Twine can be a good tool to produce stories with multiple choices/endings.

10. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

A screen capturing software that people forget about is QuickTime player. File > new screen recording, full screen at a decent frame rate with no water mark.

Unfortunately, I pretty sure its Mac only.

Robota likes this.
  11. Magpul

Magpul

What about Sculptris it's free program for sculpting, and Simplygon for making LOD

12. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Another neat resource is The Game Design Forum.

While it's not interactive at all, and hasn't been updated since 2013, it has some great dissections of classic games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Super Mario World. The ideas contained in said articles are themselves a wealth of knowledge, and provide some good principles for your own designs (the idea of mutations on a base challenge, NPC sociology, and metonymic time are all exceptionally useful.)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    GarBenjamin likes this.
  13. Bulslayer90

Bulslayer90

MakeHuman : http://www.makehuman.org/ is a great tool for small teams or single individuals like myself that are still fresh to 3d modeling and need human characters.

Linux Multi Media Studios is also nice for sound and music even if you are a noob like me, it comes with a pretty good library of sound clips and beats you can make for games.

Beside that like others I can't stress Pen or Pencil and Paper enough, my 3d modeling teacher grilled in our heads to always draw it on paper before trying to put it in the computer.

MoonbladeStudios likes this.
  14. bestellenpreis

bestellenpreis

Thank you for this big list of great programs.

15. MBennettDev

MBennettDev

Machinations is pretty useful to test out mechanics. Found out about it in the book "Game Mechanics - Advanced Game Design", which I also recommend.

16. larku

larku

khanstruct likes this.
  17. antislash

antislash

if you re in free Tools :
    pixologic SCULPTRIS , too bad there won't be a new version

and FWIW : adobe CS2 is totally free (abandonware) ans makes 99% of the job..

Kellyrayj likes this.
  18. antislash

antislash

19. larku

larku

It'd make things easier if you describe what the products are to save people following links to stuff they may have no interest in. Maybe edit your posts giving some indication of what they are.

20. antislash

antislash

ok, then, sculptris is a free sculp tool edited by pixologic (zbrush), i gues it was a test bench to try some new techniques for sculpting (dynamic tessallation).
    is is very simple to handle, very user friendly and if you know how to make custom brushes you can really achieve nice things.
    btw, it has a simple paint tool very useful when you want to paint or sketch colors on a model..BTW is allows to paint ob bump map witch is very useful to refine some détails....

Clara IO is an online modeling and rendering tool very close of 3dsMax easy to handle.

21. larku

larku

Thanks :) - I meant no negativity at all in my comment. I was just trying to aid all readers.. I'm being picky again, but it'd be much better if you edited your original posts and added the info there - context with content (yes I'm an annoying arse :) ) - of course you're within every right to just ignore me... That's what my wife does!

22. antislash

antislash

no pb i've put my magic shield on

23. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Not sure if anyone has pushed this link on here or not, but this guy gives away a few awesome assets that are noteworthy:

https://github.com/prime31

I use his 2D character controller a lot

24. tedthebug

tedthebug

We started using Twine (www.twinery.org) at college to work out story flow since it is used to help make choose-your-own adventure type stories but I found it was also useful for plotting simple logic flows for coding as well. I.e instead of just having "do you go left", "do you go right", you can also include stuff like "do they have the red key (y)" "do they have the red key (n)". People also used it to help map out environments & flow through structures so that each new Twine page was a new room & where they linked to indicated where there were doors/thoroughfares.

TonyLi and elmar1028 like this.
  25. recursive

recursive

My company has been using Phabricator for project management, since it is free to install on your own server (we host it in an AWS EC2 instance), and they also seem to be spinning up hosting here, although it may be pricy for some: http://phacility.com/pricing/. Integrated wiki, task tracking, can host or monitor source control, and has support for code review, design mockups, (memes and image macros) and seems to be constantly updated. Was spun out from Facebook's project management system, so there's pedigree there.

It's also nice the documentation has a since of humor.

26. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

iamthwee likes this.
  27. ryschawy

ryschawy

I wonder if donjon (http://donjon.bin.sh) should be added to the list. It's main purpose is content generation (prototyping), but if you think about drafting a prototype of your world it does a pretty good job.
    ThomasR

28. Clockworkelements

Clockworkelements

These are all great list of game designing. It gives an advantage for use to enjoy our game which are we need the most.

29. deCalle

deCalle

how about MEGA as a hoster? 50gb plus syncing software. Alltime full encryption...

30. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Skype and TeamViewer... anyone?

AND WHERE THE F%#K IS BLENDER?

Also Sketchup Warehouse is a great place to get 3D models.

31. elmar1028

elmar1028

Blender fits more a 3D artist rather than a game designer.

MetaDOS and theANMATOR2b like this.
  32. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Oh and fix OneDrive, it comes with 5GB free now.
    Really the only thing going for OneDrive is its seamless Windows integration, that's why I love using it :)

33. qwetdgxfbgxbvxcn

qwetdgxfbgxbvxcn

Mark for this.Thanks a lot.

34. NoobTaco

NoobTaco

35. GodOfGame87VN

GodOfGame87VN

OllyDebugger is one of my favourite tool. As its name, the tool's used to fix bugs of applications. I'm using it for my private MMO. In particular, OllyDebugger's discussed on many gaming forums.

36. jtsmith1287

jtsmith1287

Asana.com is a fantastic tool that hooks into Github nicely. You can schedule tasks, use gantt charts sync with google drive and dropbox etc. It allows for infinite isolated projects and infinitely nested tasks (if you so desire) and can assign owners and due dates to each one. If you use the Github hook you can add the task ID in the commit message and the appropriate task on Asana will be updated with commit details for easily discussing code reviews or just showing that you fixed a bug or something. It's what my team uses and it works incredibly well.

37. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Just looked at the list and realized there is no Visual Studio! Visual Studio is very useful and should be included!

38. antislash

antislash

it was...4 posts earlier :D
    and yes it's usefull for source control...... when you can get it installed prolerly :/

39. DannyMen

DannyMen

40. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

If you use Unity Personal and you think its UI is too bright (like I do):
    You can, at least, use HazeOver for dimming the background when you test your game in the Play window.
    Just make sure it's not used as a tab but rather than an individual window.
    Then, you can dim the remaining UI in the back and focus.

41. skyscraperfx

skyscraperfx

For building, skyscraper and city layouts for fast concept designs generated in SketchUp Make Free version or Pro:

https://skyscraperfx.wordpress.com/

Soon SKyscraperFX Game Level Designer is coming out with some larger layout scale utilities. But for now the SkyscraperFX 2D-to-3D generator works good for very interesting urban FX and skyscrapers and can use AutoCAD to port 2D layouts for quick visual concept designing and overall macro scale game level design models between SketchUp and AutoCAD.

42. Salanyel

Salanyel

Xmind : http://www.xmind.net/

Xmind let you make diagramm and brain storm easily. I use it really often to organize my idea. There is a free version which is complete enough.

LittleRainGames likes this.
  43. Xelnath

Xelnath

44. LittleRainGames

LittleRainGames

I was just going to say Xmind, a great free mind mapper, but the guy 2 comments up beat me to it.

45. Lehar2010

Lehar2010

Very useful information.

46. LuneInteractive

LuneInteractive

Going to add the few mainstays I've used over my career below. Although it's an old thread it seems many keep turning up here, so I figure its better to keep them coming!

• Moqups - UI/UX wireframing tool, free and web based
    • Basecamp - Project management, chat, task tracking, designer friendly interface
    • Google Docs - Easily THE most valuable tool I have in my arsenal. We shipped games running live google doc spreadsheets to handle all of our game content data for a live game servicing over 5million players. I also use their sheets for relative calculators when balancing my game economies.
    • Playmaker - I use Playmaker to quickly evaluate ideas in Unity, it helps me communicate systems to the programmers that will eventually implement them fully.
    • Construct 2 - An awesome HTML 5 engine that lets you evaluate ideas really quickly in 2D space. I've used this for quick UI mock-ups to show interactivity.
    • Slack - While not a design specific tool, its a great chat app that our design team uses to manage our design discussions via the channel systems for project specific chats.

Hauhau and theANMATOR2b like this.
  47. jenny2325

jenny2325

Wow! That is long list. Thank you!

48. MERCURIUSFM

MERCURIUSFM

Thanks, good links here. I'd also say, for the purposes of getting past any sort of creative block, check out Oblique Strategies by Brian Eno.

You can use it for free on this website: http://stoney.sb.org/eno/oblique.html

There are also numerous software, app, and print versions.

HOW TO USE: If you are stuck creatively, simply look at a card in the deck and try to apply it to what you're doing. It's not always going to make sense, but it should help you think of new ideas. It was originally designed for musicians, but has since been used by all types of creatives.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  49. danmolitor

danmolitor

Hey all,

When I was working on my game, I had my brother send me an image swatch of colors following a gradient, and I had to use a color picker on each color to get the color code one by one. This weekend I had some free time and created this tool. Essentially, you can upload your own image or use the color palette and click anywhere on it to get the color code. The color code will show up on the right and you can just copy and paste all the codes in a line when you're done. I added a Color32 prefix for Unity developing.

https://colorpickerultra.com/

Since I've felt the pain of going one by one to get codes, I figured I'd share with y'all.

50. lizifox

lizifox

hi,

Please update the definition for Inkscape. Your description reads like it's just a silly Google Hangouts gimmick.
    Which it is not, at all! :)

Inkscape is a professional vector graphics editor for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It's free and open source.
    It's like illustrator. And ideal for anyone who doesnt want to pay the price of illustrator or uses linux.

You can use it to create buttons, images, backgrounds, mockups, logo's, ... any kind of 2D vector art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.