Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

List of useful Game designing tools

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Vanamerax, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Note: This list is specifically for Game Design. For a full list of Game Development Tools, go here

For the sake of everyone's interest, here is a list of useful tools and applications that help you designing your game:

Project Management & Collaboration:
    - Trello: Team management and project planning
    - Pivotal Tracker: Per Project management, has a task point system and completion velocity tracking. Free for one user
    - Wigio: A free online group collaboration program
    - Base Camp: Project management and file sharing tool
    - Google Hangout - To discuss designs with a distributed team
    - Evernote: is great to easily write your game idea, code idea .. everything!
    - Podio
    - RealtimeBoard: Digital whiteboard for collaboration and project management
    - Padlet
    - Slack: Text based chat app that uses a channel system for team mangament and discussion

Diagram / Graph drawing:
    - MS Visio: highly recommended!
    - Lucidchart: Online program to draw graphs (technology trees or diagalogues)
    - yEd Graph Editor: Free cross platform graph editor
    - Dia: A free program to easily draw graphs (technology trees or diagalogues)
    - FreeMind - Free Mind Mapping Software. If you don't know what mind mapping is I highly recommend you learn!
    - DrawIO: Online free web program to draw diagrams, intergrated with cloud services like Dropbox and Google Drive

Writing:
    - CelTX: Free web-based scriptwriting tool
    - Scrivener: Writing tool

Image Editing:
    - Photoshop: Probably the most wide-spread option in the game industry
    - GIMP: Free alternative to photoshop, with plenty of features!
    - Inkscape - To draw mock-ups of UI's in real-time using Google Hangout
    - Paint.Net: Intended as a free replacement to the basic Paint program in Windows

3D Modelling:
    - Blender: Free 3D modeling with lots of great features
    - Sketchup: Free 3D modelling tool aimed at architecture. Can be very useful to quickly draw some level designs or layouts!

Screen Capturing:
    - ScreenPresso - For capturing screen shots, design ideas, gameplay, mockups, errors, ...
    - Puush: Capture screenshots of active window or a selectable area, automatically copies link
    - CloudShot: Screen capturing addon for dropbox
    - ShareX: Screen capturing software with lots of features
    - Open BroadCaster Software (OBS): An open source screen recorder with a lot of customizability and integration with streaming services like twitch and youtube.

File Sharing:
    - Dropbox: get up to 50GB for free when also installing the app on your smartphone! Also automatically syncs local files between multiple devices (referral link, get 0,5GB extra!)
    - OneDrive: get 15GB for free with your Microsoft account (referral link, get 0,5GB extra!)
    - Google Drive: get 15GB for free with your Google account (but online created documents dont use this free space)

Misc:
    - Articy: Draft: All-in-one game design tool
    - Audacity - Free Audio Editing & Recording Software
    - Moqups: UI/UX wireframing tool, free and web based
    - ProtoIO: Web based prototyping tool for (mobile) UI design

Oh, and don't forget that the old pen & paper also are extremely useful game design tools!

Other Game Design Resources:
    ArtStation is the new cghub, if anyone needs inspiration/ideas

A nice blog for game design:
    http://gamedesigntools.blogspot.com

Youtube channel with many Game Design topics:
    Extra Credits

If you have any suggestions, please comment and I'll add them to the list! :D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  2. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

We also use:
    https://wiggio.com/
    Wiggio is a completely free, online toolkit that makes it easy to work in groups.

DemaertelaereK, John3D and Teila like this.
  3. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Thanks, Ill add it to the list :)

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

- Pivotal Tracker: Per Project management, a lot like Trello but has a task point system and more organizational options as well as completion velocity tracking. Free for one user.

5. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Thanks, added!

6. PJRM

PJRM

There is http://www.icescrum.org.
    IceScrum is your free and open source agile tool: scrum, kanban, xp. It helps your teams to manage your agile developments.

I like this one. You can install and use it if you like.

7. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

8. Whippets

Whippets

Hezekiel112 and Danny-vda like this.
  9. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Teila likes this.
  10. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

11. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

Depending on your definition of "tools" it might be a bit of a stretch, but I'd say pen & paper.
    I'm serious. Ideas shouldn't only exist in your head, you should write them down.

I have a small notebook and a pen next to my bed. More than once I already got up in the middle of the night to write stuff down. That way I can reconstruct my thought-processes from months ago today.

Edit:
    @superpig, you don't happen to be a ninja, do you? o_O

12. randomperson42

randomperson42

Yes he does.

BrandyStarbrite and superpig like this.
  13. superpig

superpig

I can neither confirm nor deny that I may be a ninja :D

14. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Teila likes this.
  15. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Thanks for the suggestions! Updated the list

Haha yeah that is what I thought. Suggestions coming in quicker than I can keep up with :)

16. Teila

Teila

Great thread! Thank you.

17. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

tjmaul likes this.
  18. LaneFox

LaneFox

19. Robota

Robota

www.evernote.com is great to easily write your game idea, code idea .. everything!

20. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Other - FREE - useful tools:

* Google Hangout - To discuss designs with a distributed team
    * Inkscape - To draw mock-ups of UI's in real-time using Google Hangout
    * ScreenPresso - For capturing screen shots, design ideas, gameplay, mockups, errors, ...

and the #1, #2, and #3 game design tools? .... pencil, paper, and a whiteboard.

Gigi

TheSniperFan and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  21. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Thanks for the suggestions! updated the list :)

22. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Community generated content! Love how people are collaborating in this forum. Let's sticky this for a few days and see where it goes.

Gigi

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  23. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Cloudshot, a program that will make your impr pant button a uploader of photos to dropbox with some cool options like direct links ^^
    https://cloudshot.codeplex.com/

24. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Thanks Gigiwoo! :D

Updated the list, also started categorizing stuff

Gigiwoo and Kirbyrawr like this.
  25. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

TortoiseSVN - Free Source Control for Windows
    FreeMind - Free Mind Mapping Software. If you don't know what mind mapping is I highly recommend you learn!
    Audacity - Free Audio Editing & Recording Software
    Anim8or - Free Very easy-to-use 3D modeling program. The first one I used to learn with.
    Blender - Free 3D modeling. I think most people are familiar with this but I did not see it on the list.

I am sure I have many more if I take a look around my hard drive.

Are you wanting only free tools? Or beneath a certain price?

metaldc4life likes this.
  26. gurayg

gurayg

I've tried many diagram graph drawing software but this one tops on my list. A cross platform freeware.
    yEd Graph Editor
    Also a cross-platform and free for batch image manipulation and file viewer.
    XnviewMP

27. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Thanks for the suggestions! I will also add 3D modelling tools to the list, now that you mention it.

Of course free programs are always welcome, but Im also adding paid services/applications to the list (I think I will improve indication between free and paid programs soon)

Thanks! That graph editor does indeed look very nice, better than the other alternatives I've seen so far! Updated the list

28. superpig

superpig

Be careful that this doesn't become a general-purpose list of 'any tool for game development.' This is supposed to be the game design forum...

Gigiwoo and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  29. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

In that case, scratch all except FreeMind from my list.
    Mind Mapping is very useful in design.

The others are definitely for content creation and the admin/management tasks associated with game development.

30. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Yeah I know, although I think some quick modelling/sketching can also belong in the list. Some of the other programs could be doubtful however.

31. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

^ This. A curated list needs ...curation ;).
    Gigi

32. superpig

superpig

Yeah, I think it's fine to include some quick '3D-sketching' tools and things like that, just best to keep it design-focused.

If anyone wants to start a thread for more general-purpose art tools in the External Tools forum, go for it!

33. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Sure, let me copy over the thread and start trimming this one down to essentials

34. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Though here is one that is good for design.
    http://www.chatmapper.com/

Helping with story and conversation even thought mapping I think.

35. ManAmazin

ManAmazin

Dont know if it was mentioned here but another one for streamlining thoughts and building the backbone of the game that i have used is https://workflowy.com/

has android app (i believe iOS too) for easy access on the go

36. Xian Youang

Xian Youang

My suggestion for project management & collaboration is web Kanban board with real-time collaboration features called online Kanban Tool. The idea behind it is simple - you visualize your tasks using coloured cards and placing them on a virtual whiteboard that is divided into columns (workflow stages like: backlog, to do, doing done...). You share tasks with your team, prioritize, schedule (it has calendar) track working times (app has time tracking), analyze (check out analytics and time reports) and improve the performance. In addition Kanban Tool allows you to share comments and files (integrations with Box, Google Drive... ) and receive notifications about changes. My team loves it.

37. PandaLaaaabs XD

PandaLaaaabs XD

Guys, I'm a newbie in game development.
    super newbie, I mean Like NEWBIE.
    I know some programming languages like C and HTML or Visual Basic
    But I dont know where I can download the animator thingy .
    please guys I need help T_____T
    I'm just a sole developer I'll try something like Rock, paper and scissors Game with some graphic design and simple
    code. It's just a sample program and then I will try the average ones :)
    Thank you guys very much you're all big help ^_^

38. ArmandoR

ArmandoR

Hola soy nuevo desarrollando para unity y estoy teniendo problemas con cosas muy sencillas alguien que pueda ayudarme

39. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

Just points from my professional work:
    • Project Management : MS Project
    • Diagram / Flowcharts Tool : MS Visio , I highly recommended it, have tried everything I could get my hands on with the hope to find a cheap alternative but nothing compares so far to Visio.
    • Writing : MS Word , everyone should have it installed on their computer even if they are not designers. There is also the free, web version now but it isn't as good but a decent substitute for smaller projects. Also, I highly recommend to store and organize your concept, pitch and design documents etc in a MediaWiki. It is wonderful to work with, extensions can further improve it and even the bosses at Sony Entertainment was really impressed when they saw what we were doing with it. A small benefit is that you can create and share accounts with restrictions when there is people outside the company that need your GD or other document. No more sending word files every time you update stuff, they just login to their account and read ;) I am never gonna make another game design document in Word again.
    • Image Editing : Photoshop is a no-brainer here, but I also recommend that people consider Illustrator.
    • 3D Modelling : Game designers do not model stuff, takes too much time from their primary tasks but there is a mountain of tools for people that are interested like Blender (my fav) Maya, 3D Studio and so on... We also got the dedicated sculpting programs that every artist should look into.
    • File Sharing : Professionals keep as many of their files as possible in a closed network for security reasons. If you send something, get a mail, encrypt the files and give the receiving party the password separately over a call or similar. The Wiki was an exception but we kept it under some extra security.
    Lots of pens and lots of paper. Most professional designers that I know typically carry a small notebook and some pens with them wherever they go in case they get a good idea. The pens often got different colors so that it is easier to make advanced sketches. A tablet with a pen can of course serve the same purpose, I even got a keyboard dock in my bag :)

Another recommendation is to get an external hard-drive or something similar that you can store and organize your reference material on. It is worth gold and every good designer or artist typically carry one around. It is a pain to find something that is organized by other people but it is a breeze to pull something out of your own drive while you talk about that "thing" in Halo XX. Just make sure that you are allowed to have an external device with you when you work for other companies, some do not allow it.
    It is a good idea to have your own copy of a program that allows you to take screenshots of the screen and something that can download any video stream from the web. There is a lot of resources out there that you might want to store for private use.

karmadir likes this.
  40. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Kind of surprised no one had already mentioned this, although I also want to ask if anyone has a better option.

41. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Oh you I came across Visio, forgot to add it to the list I guess. Thanks!

42. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

Its the king of the hill within at what it does but I personally hate the default settings with a passion. I always have to make several changes before we get along, but it is a love story when we do :D

Anyways, the closes alternative that I found to Visio was Lucidcharts and I use it together with Google Drive. I dislike subscriptions but it is definitely cheaper then Visio... on the other hand, Visio is a one time purchase and you can stick with a single version for a very long time. Depending on what you do, Illustrator might also be an optional program for the task.

43. RespawnDespair

RespawnDespair

Recently i stumbled across draw.io, far superior to Lucidcharts if you ask me (and my team).

44. makoto_snkw

makoto_snkw

I use padlet.com for my character design and ideas.

It looks something like this.

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 9.29.54 PM.png

45. nuverian

nuverian

I use RealtimeBoard for a collaborative whiteboard to drop sketch, post ideas and it's awesome:
    https://realtimeboard.com/

Cheers

Alphageek likes this.
  46. Petethegoat

Petethegoat

I'd strongly recommend getsharex.com as a superior screen capture program for Windows at least. It's insanely feature rich and customizable, just a really good program. :)

47. BigDaz

BigDaz

Isn't it a bit naughty to post links under the heading "for everyone's interest" to sites where you personally benefit from referrals?

48. superpig

superpig

Are you talking about the Dropbox and OneDrive links? Users who use them to sign up get the space bonus as well, so I don't think it's so bad. Might be more ethical to put a note next to the links, though.

JoukeSeinstra and BigDaz like this.
  49. QualixInteractive

QualixInteractive

I recommend Podio for project management of all sort. It has a sharp interface plus android/iOS app that works really well.

Go take a look https://podio.com

50. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Well, the people signing up via those link doesn't have disadvantages compared to a regular signup. As superpig said, both parties even get extra bonus space, so it benefits both. A note to indicate a referral link wouldn't hurt though.

I also updated the list

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.