Search Unity

Linux Editor slated to launch in 5.6

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mosaic_school, Nov 15, 2016.

1. mosaic_school

mosaic_school

"And with the Linux Editor now in experimental build and also slated to launch in 5.6, dropping the 32-bit editor frees up time and resources that will help us to make this exciting new offering a success."

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/11/15/end-of-support-for-32-bit-editor-for-windows/

So is that an official announcement that the Unity3D Linux Editor ships officially with 5.6?

Would be awesome news since we are currently evaluating to switch to Unity3D. However since a Linux Editor would be a requirement this was so far was a deal breaker...

knobby67, kiriri and LukaKotar like this.
  2. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

I was just about to post the same. Hopefully the bugs that were introduced in 5.5 beta are fixed. I guess they were fixed, since they are also switching to SDL2 on 5.6 on Linux.
    In my understanding it will be either 5.6 or 5.7. The editor already i̶s̶ was very stable with a few bugs so there might not be that many issues to hold the release back to 5.7.

3. Cygon4

Cygon4

That would be great news indeed!

I hope when Na`Tosha's SDL2 project is done she and Tac will have some time to take care of all the bugs introduced with 5.5. The 5.4 release was pretty good already.

4. libgradev

libgradev

Ditto :)

5. mosaic_school

mosaic_school

They updated the post:
    "Edit: A previous version of this post mistakenly suggested the Linux Editor would be in the official 5.6 release."

Well, was too good to be true obviously. Guess we won't switch to Unity after all.. :-(

6. libgradev

libgradev

Yeah I saw, shame. Back looking at Godot at the moment as we need to know our engine won't 'disappear' part way through development!

Still hopeful that one day Unity3D, UE4 and all others... All our workstations are Linux and after the experience we have had compared to Windows we're never going back.

kmare, ma1onso and mosaic_school like this.
  7. Swiftpaw1

Swiftpaw1

Hoping to see the release of the Linux editor with 5.6 as well. Does anyone know how to access the newest builds? Is there a git URL or something? This page just links to 5.1, over a year old now.

8. aroskuski

aroskuski