Search Unity

Linear Level Design Vs Random Gen Mobile

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by QuackProductionz, Jun 21, 2017.

?

Linear or Random

1. Linear

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Random

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. QuackProductionz

QuackProductionz

Hi all i have an odd question i am currently making a temple run inspired game and
    cant decide if i should go with random gen level design like objects will appear randomly on map or if i should go with more linear path like players will know whats coming and will have too prepare for it
    from a design process linear seems easier to make but random gen could add some replay ability .
    As of right now i have it random and I have noticed sometimes my models i make will randomly spawn in the wrong position it only really happens if game is going on too long and sometimes at the start which do you guys think would be best taking development time is no no longer then 4 weeks I dont want to spend too long on this should i go with the linear design or stay with random gen.

2. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Personally, I'm a fan of random as no 2 games are the same and if your random spawning script is done right, it can save so many hours of work. Basically you just have to write 1 good script and make good prefabs to spawn instead of doing everything by hand.

However, I'm against procedural generation in large 3D games as the worlds they create become bland and boring. However, for simple mobile games I believe random is the way to go.

QuackProductionz and Schneider21 like this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

A sophisticated mixture of both. Check out Minion Rush for a good example.

Martin_H and QuackProductionz like this.
  4. QuackProductionz

QuackProductionz

Thanks for the replies il take that all into account and will look into that minon game also