Search Unity

Lightmap errors after committing to source control

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by KDurzy, Dec 17, 2015.

1. KDurzy

KDurzy

So I am having an extremely frustrating issue with Lightmaps not appearing correctly on different machines. After I build the Lighting for a scene I commit the scene, LightingData asset, and new Lightmaps to our Git repository. When team members pull the new scene and lightmaps onto their machines and open them up it appears as if the lightmaps are wrong, jumbled looking, not all garbled like noise, but as if the UV information for the lightmap layout is just off center or something. Objects will have black lines running through them nead edges as if the LM was moved over a few pixles this way or that.
    I had found an old question with this very problem, from May of this year, that no one had commented on or attempted to answer ( http://answers.unity3d.com/question...erentoffset-between-each.html#comment-1113999 ). Since that was not getting any attention I thought I would post to this forum.
    Has anyone had any similar issues with any Source Control screwing up Lightmaps? Is there a new setting that should be checked somewhere that could prevent this from happening? I have been trying to figure out what is happening with this for a couple days now, to no avail. We are testing the latest Unity build right now, 5.3.0f4, to see if this problem still persists. If anyone can shed any light on this (pun sort-of intended) I would greatly appreciate this!
    Thanks in advance!

DChap and jeremyfp like this.
  2. KDurzy

KDurzy

We have confirmed the same thing happening on the latest version of Unity. We both upgraded to the new version, opened up the project and I baked the lightmaps, then commited my changes.
    This is now a work stopping problem for me.
    Also why do some scenes appear solid when viewed in "Baked" mode under the Scene tab, while others are transparent (as if the lighting was not baked yet)? Along with the lightmap garbling errors this is observed when a scene is updated after light baking on a remote machine.
    Error images posted below; errors on top, correct looking below them.

Attached Files:

jeremyfp likes this.
  3. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi! Are you switching between Mac and PC?

4. jeremyfp

jeremyfp

@KEngelstoft

Yes, the lightmaps are generated on a PC and appear incorrectly on the Mac. When re-baked (on my machine, the Mac) the lightmaps appear identical to what's seen on the PC.

Actually, the screenshots that KDurzy posted were both taken on PCs. Sorry, we were testing on both a Mac and a PC using 5.3.0f4.

KDurzy would bake on his PC, push the lightmaps to our repository, I would then pull them down on to both a PC and a Mac. Both machines on my end would exhibit these issues.

5. variablestatekieran

variablestatekieran

6. jeremyfp

jeremyfp

7. jeremyfp

jeremyfp

Scratch that, 5.4.0b1 is causing other issues so we won't be able to complete a test today. Perhaps we'll try again when the 5.4.0 final release ships.

8. Zxander

Zxander

SOLVED:
    After a lot of back and forth between our team and Unity we've solved this issue. It looks like the lightmap settings can be fixed if one is to select the _DIR lightmaps and change their type from texture to advanced. Then, turn on bypass sRGB samples. This will reimport the lightmaps and the artifacts will be fixed.

JamieVRcade and DChap like this.