Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightmap backing stuck?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Todd-Wasson, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Is Unity stuck at 7/11 Light Trasport with 21 jobs to go or am I just not patient enough? It did about 100 jobs before this. I've restarted Unity three times. It very quickly runs through the jobs again and gets stuck with 21 to go again. It's been probably 30 to 60 minutes on this one. Does anyone see something I'm doing wrong here?

Also, I'm having a lot of problems with the scene view when playing around with the lighting options. Several times I've had the terrain turn all black or turn overly white like it is in the picture here. Nothing gets messed up in the game view or the built version, that's all fine. Is Unity aware of this stuff already?

I don't try very often, but I have yet to successfully do light mapping like this. It always seems to hang at one of the jobs and never finish. I don't mind waiting for a long time for it to finish the job, but at some point it'd be nice to know if it's ever going to really finish or if it's just hung. In the picture below I'm just doing it real time for illustration, really I'm just wanting to bake the stuff into the scene but have yet to succeed.

I've Googled around for answers but with Beta 5 changing so rapidly, it seems everything I run across is out of date already. If anybody has some tips or tricks I'd love to hear them.

2. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

The only thing I've noticed in the task manager is that it looks like right when it gets stuck is when the second JobProcess.exe suddenly gets going. Before it gets stuck, the second instance of JobProcess.exe is at very low memory and CPU use. It's like the second one explodes into life and it gets stuck.

3. protopop

protopop

Wow that scene looks gorgeous!

I baked my landscape and objects at 2 texels per unit. You have 100 so maybe thats the culprit.

I don't have hard facts, but what ive infered from everything that ive read is that a) lightmapping is a work in progress and b) you bake lightmaps at very low settings now to simulate bake times and quality from beast. For example i also used non-directional lightmaps (i think the dual lightmaps fro U4 with one for near and one for far is gone)

4. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Thanks. :) This scene is done with World Composer (satellite data importer) plus SpeedTree and the House Collection on the asset store.

I'll give your suggestions a try, thanks.

5. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Meh, just tried 2 texels per unit and it did the same thing. Thanks for the idea anyway.

6. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

I turned off the water and houses (non-static) and it finished, but I got a couple errors:

Failed copying the texture from 'C:/Users/..../AppData/LocalLow/Unity/Caches/GiCache/37/3765786ff59b5ab900c9d694430d3bc0._comp_light.exr' to 'Assets/Water2/Lightmap-1_comp_light.exr'.

Failed copying the texture from 'C:/Users/..../AppData/LocalLow/Unity/Caches/GiCache/01/018f07ceaac5954005a80df1b317efdd._probe.exr' to 'Assets/Water2/SkyboxProbe-0.exr'.

Cippman and sivrikaya like this.
  7. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

After a bit more poking around it looks like lightmapping is still a bit of a work in progress with Unity, so I'll just make do without it or whatever I can get away with in the meantime. Things still look amazing without it, I just thought it would be neat to bake in the tree shadows around my lake scene:

Most of my scenery is not right in your face since you're supposed to be driving around on the water, so it's not as critical as it might be for other games. ;)