Search Unity

Learning Store Item Pricing

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by vanshvyas, Apr 11, 2017.

1. vanshvyas

vanshvyas

Hello Designers,
    i am posting these thread to get some knowledge or idea about the store items pricing in games .
    As i am a fresher game designer i need to know that how to pricing of the items are decided in game.
    Below there is a list of some thing i want to know :-

1)store item pricing between coins(in game) and Real money.
    2)Store item pricing for the different items in game which can be bought through coins(in game currency).

Thanks .

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

You can't just magically know how much items should cost. There're million of factors to consider, like how easy to get these items, how easy to get money, is there a way to lose items, do they break with time or not, can they become obselete with time/progression or they're not leveled and every item can be useful at any time to any player, etc. Since you asked about real life currency to in-game money, it means game is multiplayer (or very very strange singleplayer), so is there player-market in game or NPC shops or both? In case player market, then players will decide themselves, you don't need to bother with prices, just like in real life. The easiest approach is usually - create some formula which will use item stats and usefulness and give you price in result, but it doesn't always work, it all depends on complexity of those stats and game itself. In other words it's all very personal, there's no universal formula.

vanshvyas likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

This question entirely depends on your game's design and your goals with regard to these store items.

You need to pay attention to what you can buy with coins vs real money, the value players get there, the rarity of both getting coins and such items within the game outside of your store, the benefit of these premium items vs normal items, etc. No one can just tell you how to value your entire items and coins market like you're basically asking, especially while you've provided no information.

vanshvyas likes this.
  4. Habitablaba

Habitablaba

There are loads of single player games that have a real to in-game money conversion. And just about every genre of single player game has it. Everything from Candy Crush to Sim City, Roller Coaster Tycoon to Fire Emblem.

I agree, though, that there is no "silver bullet" that can be used to determine prices for items in the in-game store.
    One strategy is to offset the income / spend amounts for in game currency.
    By this I mean that if you spend $1.00 of real money to get 10 fake bucks, you then sell your in game item for 7 fake bucks. This means the player will always have a small balance of fake bucks, but not enough to buy an item... which will incentivize them to buy more fake bucks.

vanshvyas likes this.
  5. vanshvyas

vanshvyas

Thanks for the reply. That was too useful for me is there anyway from where i can learn to make different formulae for pricing.