Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning C# by Developing Games with Unity 5.x - S (eBook) available for free today 29th March 2017

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by packtpub, Mar 29, 2017.

1. packtpub

packtpub

Hi folks,

I'd like to let you'll know that the eBook version of "Learning C# by Developing Games with Unity 5.x - Second Edition" by Greg Lukosek is available for free today.
    The eBook can be claimed here: https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning

What You Will Learn:
    • Understand the fundamentals of variables, methods, and code syntax in C#
    • Get to know about techniques to turn your game idea into working project
    • Use loops and collections efficiently in Unity to reduce the amount of code
    • Develop a game using the object-oriented programming principles
    • Generate infinite levels for your game
    • Create and code a good-looking functional UI system for your game
    • Publish and share your game with users

Don't miss this book!

Thanks
    Sherwin

2. Clancento

Clancento

i bought your book, i have a question.
    where do i get the assets for the game mentioned in the book? Cant find your package anywhere.

3. lukos

lukos

Procy2 and Dosorvet like this.
  4. BLSLHF

BLSLHF

Thanks for writing this excellent book. Very helpful, except I spent 4 hours googling player.unitypackage on chapter 9. :'(

Dosorvet likes this.
  5. besu9

besu9

same here. the player.unitypackage ruined it!

Dosorvet and Beta4 like this.
  6. besu9

besu9

great book BTW!!

7. RobotManufacture

RobotManufacture

Procy2, rebaut and mckmck like this.
  8. RobotManufacture

RobotManufacture

It is not a good book for newbie actually. It gives no clue starting from CircleCollider2D on chapter 9.

9. mckmck

mckmck

Hi - I enjoyed the latest edition (unity 2017). However this problem is still not resolved. It is so unclear what you have to do. Are we meant to be downloading from Unity or Packt? I tried the Packt code download and unfortunately there is no Player.unitypackage. There is a _macos folder but chapter 9 appears to have no relevant code files or packages.

The GitHub repo for the 2nd edition does have a Player.unitypackage but this is for a green alien and not the robot.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  10. Beta4

Beta4

I agree, this is BS on both the writer and publisher to to make sure this content should be ready to go, that way we're not having to look for the files and then finding out they are not even downloadable and wasting a couple of hours on finding out if you are doing it wrong...pft! How can the writer not double check to make sure that all files were available for the audience that is buying the book. Support your readers and they'll keep supporting you.

EDIT: I am refering the Learning C# 7 By Developing Games with Unity 2017 - Third Edition

11. Beta4

Beta4

SO TRUE! WHAT A WASTE!

12. rebaut

rebaut

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  13. danielqk

danielqk

Hi Lucos, with unity 2017, can I use this book ? Since I was written with version 5.x. If I follow the book to create game from chapter 9, do I have any problems? Thanks

14. danielqk

danielqk

Hi Lucos How to play the game in this book? After imported all unity package files, can not find any scene to start in order play game?? Can not build player game for PC also ? There is no instruction inside the book and book web page.