Search Unity

Keyboard making "Invalid sound" in custom editor windows?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by Futurerobot, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Futurerobot

Futurerobot

I'm having a problem with a custom editor window we created for our game, hope this is the right forum for it.

I was using an Event in OnGui() in order to accept a keyboard input for it, which works fine, but whenever the window is selected it seems like any keyboard input is considered invalid. Pressing a key makes the standard "please don´t do that..." sound a mac makes ("DUN!")

The input is still registered though, so that part works. Just need to get rid of the annoying sound (without muting the mac).

2. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

I know I'm 5 years late, but since this post is the first I stumbled when looking for this particular issue, here's the solution.

When the EditorWindows doesn't have an active control listening for keyboard inputs it makes this "invalid sound". This is normal. What happens when you capture these events through code? It still makes the sound because even though you are capturing the key pressed (through Event.current.type and Event.current.keyCode) you are not telling Unity "hey! I'm using this key!"

TL;DR solution

To solve this issue, simply call Event.current.Use() to tell Unity you are using that key stroke for something.
    Cheers!

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Whoa, that works! And here I've been hitting the mute button all this time.

--Eric

4. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Glad I helped ;-)