Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Issue with Unity 5.6 BETA version - failed to load window layout

Discussion in '5.6 Beta' started by frodoe7, Jan 1, 2017.

1. frodoe7

frodoe7

when trying to create a project with Unity 5.6 BETA version
    it always makes this error " failed to load window layout" , I have windows 10 64bit
    this below image describes the problem

skyflashde likes this.
  2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

@QA: I submitted a similar issue a while ago as:
    (Case 825848) WindowLayout errors when switching between projects

Error messages are, but not limited to:
    • Removed empty DockArea while reading window layout: window #11, instanceID=8856
    • Removed unparented EditorWindow while reading window layout: window #19, type=UnityEditor.FallbackEditorWindow, instanceID=8872
    • Error while reading window layout: window #9 is null
    • Failed to load window layout: System.Exception: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown.
    • Failed to destroy editor windows: #7
    • Failed to destroy views: #10

3. frodoe7

frodoe7

I don't understand you --anyway
    how to solve my problem ??

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi frodoe7,
    Could you please file a bug report for this issue and reply in here with the case #?

5. plmx

plmx

I had the same problem as @frodoe7 - when trying to open, or even create a new project (which means I couldn't get into Unity at all).

What I tried and which did not help:
    • Uninstalled Unity 5.6.0b4 again, reboot, reinstalled 5.6.0b4 - no change
    • Deleted all Unity folders in %appdata%/subfolders - no change
    • Start Unity as an Administrator - no change (when not starting as Administrator, I got another error message when trying to create a project: "Project folder or disk is read only". It's not.).
    What I did next, which did help:
    • Uninstalled Unity 5.6.0b4. Reboot. Reinstalled Unity 5.5f3. I could now create new projects and open existing without problems (in the same location where Unity 5.6.0b4 gave the above errors about read-only-ness during create, and on the same project about the window layout).
    • Uninstalled Unity 5.5f3. Reboot. Reinstalled 5.6.0b4. SUCCESS!! I could now create new projects and open existing ones also with this version.
    Conclusion: Uninstalling/reinstalling the beta as well as deleting folders/starting as Admin did not help, but installing 5.5f3 in between and then the beta again did work.

@LeonhardP I filed a bug report, the ID is #872008; not sure if this is worth following up on though.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  6. Marble

Marble

Same thing happened to me. I won't duplicate the bug report, but you're not alone!