Search Unity

Issue with specific graphic drivers

Discussion in 'Android' started by SnowedIn, Oct 2, 2015.

1. robertsze

robertsze

I can confirm now that this issue (graphical glitches and eventually crashes) is fixed now.

2. UrsHanselmann

UrsHanselmann

Did any of you guys upgrade to Unity 5.4 yet?

We are getting a few crash reports in running Unity 5.4.0f3 reporting the same stack trace:
    at libGAL.computeWLimit(computeWLimit:104)
    at libGAL.computeWLimit(computeWLimit:68)

3. robertsze

robertsze

We did not release a version with Unity 5.4 yet and never had been able to reproduce this ourself. (although we got thousands of crash reports related to this issue). Anyone else having crashes with this stack trace again?

@Unity: can someone confirm this issue is open again in Unity 5.4?

MrEsquire likes this.
  4. andrew210

andrew210

This issue is also just start to occur in 5.4 for us too (5.4 beta versions seemed ok, but 5.4.0f3 does have this issue) and our ratings our taking a beating for it

MrEsquire likes this.
  5. cabreak2

cabreak2

I can confirm that 5.4.0f3 has this issue. Mostly with Galaxy S3 mini and Galaxy Tab 3.

MrEsquire likes this.
  6. george-daters

george-daters

I can also confirm the appearance of this error on Android after upgrading from Unity 5.3.6 to 5.4.0f3. I have a Galaxy SIII mini and I can reproduce the bug. Still have to do some more testing to narrow the problem down

7. george-daters

george-daters

The fix made here seems to have not been applied in unity 5.4.0f3 nor 5.4.0p1. I downgraded back down to Unity 5.3.6p2 and the same project now renders fine with Galaxy SIII mini

8. shenhuili

shenhuili

@Unity this issue back again 5.4.0f3 p1 p2 all has this issue. Mostly with Galaxy S3 mini and Galaxy Tab 3.

9. robertsze

robertsze

Issues is back again in Unity 5.4.0f1-p3. Getting tons of crash reports on Google Play again. Is there any official who can give a statement about this??

MrEsquire likes this.
  10. robertsze

robertsze

Anyone?
    Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 17.14.11.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 17.12.10.png

MrEsquire likes this.
  11. cabreak2

cabreak2

Using a beta phase makes really no sense if beta versions work better than release versions. The issue is still present on Samsung Galaxy S3 mini.

MrEsquire likes this.
  12. robertsze

robertsze

Even worse is that this issue has been fixed for months already in the 5.3 branch and suddenly reappears in the 5.4 release. Looks like strange things are going on with managing multiple branches....

But even more worse is that again we don't get any reply or statement, not to this thread, not to submitted bug reports. Left in the dark... and players complain and complain day by day..

MrEsquire likes this.
  13. phpnato

phpnato

@Unity this issue back again in 5.4.0 p3. Mostly with Galaxy S3 mini and Galaxy Tab 3. Please fix it!

MrEsquire likes this.
  14. cabreak2

cabreak2

It seems like they are deliberately ignoring this issue for some reason.

15. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Unless they have a bug report they always ignore, even if issue is critical

16. robertsze

robertsze

Submitted a bug report months ago and opened it weeks ago again. Forum post, Bug reports and mail to Unity staff directly with not a single reply for weeks. Unity, please invest in your QA and Developer Relations departments, how should we deliver working products to our customers if there is no way to get a critical bug fixes at all?

MrEsquire likes this.
  17. robertsze

robertsze

18. cabreak2

cabreak2

I have seen that report. But I think it's a completely different bug.
    I have tried Unity 5.4 (all patches) and the beta Unity 5.5 (the latest version) and the game stil crashes on Samsung Galaxy S3 mini. Galaxy Tab 3, ...

EDIT: I'm not sure it's a different one though.

19. robertsze

robertsze

Thats because the bug report just went to open again. The issue first came in Unity 5.2, was fixed in Unity 5.3 and is now open in Unity >= 5.4 again

20. stevenatunity

stevenatunity

I've been testing on a Samsung S3 Mini Value Edition and the screen glitches (and crashing when using a Scroll Rect) are still present in v5.4.2p1.

The good news is that v5.5.0b9 works fine - although we have a little wait until full release ;)

Anybody else tested the betas of v5.5?

MrEsquire likes this.
  21. robertsze

robertsze

>> Anybody else tested the betas of v5.5?
    Sure not ;)

We really would prefer getting this fix in the 5.4 branch too as I bet there are new regressions in 5.5 once it is released. (and as this issue has been fixed in 5.3 and 5.5 it would make sense fixing it in 5.4 too, wouldn't it?)

22. stevenatunity

stevenatunity

@robertsze sorry, despite my username I don't work at Unity :)

I'm developing my second game and it is vital it works on as many devices as possible (it's a trivia game, so it should appeal to users who have low spec phones). I bought a Samsung S3 Mini Value for testing purposes.

Due to the glitches (and the no cameras rendering message constantly showing despite having no need for a camera) I have been unable to move to v5.4.

I thought it was good news that v5.5 didn't appear to me to have the glitches (although still the no cameras rendering message!), and I was wondering if others had noticed the same.

Apologies if you thought I meant that v5.4 shouldn't be fixed, or if you thought I had any control over this.

23. Unity-Nikos

Unity-Nikos

Unity Technologies

This is fixed in 5.4 too now and should be available in 5.4.4p1 and 5.4.5. 5.4.4 Patch 1 should be released around 11th January. Apologies for the long wait on this one.

cabreak2 likes this.
  24. Kmess

Kmess

I'm still seeing this issue with Unity 5.5.0p4 - has this been pushed to 5.5? If not, when will a patch be available?

Device -
    1. Galaxy Tab3 Lite (goyawifi)1
      Manufacturer: Samsung
      Android version: Android 4.0.3 - 4.0.4
      RAM (MB): 1024
      Screen size: 600 × 1024
      Screen density (dpi): 160
      OpenGL ES version: 2.0
      Native platform: armeabi-v7a
      CPU make: Marvell
      CPU model: PXA986
    at libGAL.computeWLimit(computeWLimit:252)
    at libGAL.computeWLimit(computeWLimit:68)

25. cabreak2

cabreak2

Congratulations Unity, for not being able to keep a bug fixed. Do you have test units that prevent these type of bugs ? I mean, do you have any test units at all ?

Ogien and MrEsquire like this.
  26. mobadu

mobadu

Hello Unity,

Are you planning to fix the issue or do you have some workaround?
    Unfortunately bug is still present in 5.5.1p2 and lot of users with Galaxy Tab3 7.0 Lite is complaining. It crashes on Android 4.2.2

Code (CSharp):
    1. Caused by java.lang.Error: signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1 (SEGV_MAPERR), fault addr 728dc014
    2. Build fingerprint: 'samsung/goyawifixx/goyawifi:4.2.2/JDQ39/T110XXUANI7:user/release-keys'
    3. Revision: '2'
    4. pid: 19508, tid: 19574, name: UnityMain  >>> com.xxxx.xxxx <<<
    5.     r0 60bc7d20  r1 0000041d  r2 00000000  r3 00000000
    6.     r4 00000003  r5 728dc014  r6 00000003  r7 60bc7d20
    7.     r8 60bc7d14  r9 00000024  sl 60bc83ac  fp 728dc014
    8.     ip 5c9bfebc  sp 60bc7d00  lr 5c8f7aac  pc 5c8f7b60  cpsr 2f393351
    10.        at libGAL.computeWLimit(computeWLimit:252)
    11.        at libGAL.computeWLimit(computeWLimit:68)
    Issue with flickering on Vivante devices is actually fixed but it's a different bug.
    Now it only crashes on random situations (without weird GPU behavior like flickering).

Please give us some feedback because unfortuantely Galaxy Tab3 is still a huge user base.
    @Unity @Unity-Nikos

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  27. george-daters

george-daters

I can confirm this issue in Unity 5.5.2f1 with Galaxy SIII Mini VE I8200 (Android 4.2.2). I've remained on Unity version 5.3.6p2 since August due to this issue and yesterday decided to try to upgrade Unity

As mobadu said, the graphics used to flicker (with e.g. Unity ~5.4) but now the application just crashes randomly.

MrEsquire likes this.
  28. Ogien

Ogien

OMG I have been working on this for a month now, thank god I found this thread. So my option is to go back to 5.3.6p2 or download the 5.6 beta?

29. Ogien

Ogien

Going back to 5.3.6p2 5.4.4 p1 is going to be tough, none of my scenes will open, any other suggestions?

Also I can confirm that 5.4.4 p1 does not have this issue, I used a backup version of my game and it works no problem, upgrading the same version to 5.5 breaks it :(

Anyone from Unity can help?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  30. mobadu

mobadu

In one of my games I narrowed down the issue becasue crash was at the same point. In this case, crash was caused by one of the particle effects. I switched it off and it's fine. Propably some renderer settings. It wasn't issue with shader as I was suspecting at the beginning.
    However in the second game crash appears randomly and I don't have any workaround.

Ogien - I can't imagine maintaining each game on different Unity version. It would be some mess.

31. Unity-Nikos

Unity-Nikos

Unity Technologies

Hi. Apologies for the delay. We don't seem to have any reports of this crash on 5.5. I could not find anything obvious too.

The best approach would be to create a small repro project or strip down an existing project and Report a bug in Unity editor, attaching the project and the repro steps.

Some info here https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/08/24/attaching-your-project-to-a-bug-report/

Also the crash stack trace may be more informative if you select Development Build and Script Debugging in Build Settings.

32. Ogien

Ogien

Thanks for your reply, I actually build a test scene and submitted a bug report to Unity,

https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?889696_k5eeffu4br4oi9o2

After that I changed every material to legacy diffuse and disabled anything I could in build settings. No luck. I have not yet tried disabling particle effects I will try that next

Also I build my games in Mac OS, I have not tried doing a build on Windows, however I am on vacation so I can't try that until Wednesday.

This cost me over 10K in revenue now + poor ratings, and I don't see that there is any hope of a resolution.

33. stevenatunity

stevenatunity

@Ogien I previously experienced the graphical glitch on my Samsung GT-I8200N (Samsung S3 Mini Value Edition) which has been patched by Unity.

I'm about to test my game, so could you please tell me how your game crashes so I can see if I also run in to this issue.

Is it just a case of playing the game and waiting and, if so, how long does it usually take?

I don't want to release a game with a critical error :eek:

34. Ogien

Ogien

For me it crashes on game scene load. The main menu works well because its not graphic heavy but as soon as I load the main game it tobmstones (force closes)

35. stevenatunity

stevenatunity

Thanks, I'm glad I know what to look for. Good luck in finding help to resolve this :)

36. Ogien

Ogien

I just received a message from Unity QA that they were able to reproduce the issue and it has been sent to development for a fix :)

37. mobadu

mobadu

Good news Ogien.
    Do you know when we can expect some patch release including this fix?

38. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

wow!, many years later... I would like to know about what issue is and which phones where effected?

39. Ogien

Ogien

So it turns out this issue was mine after all. This was not a Unity bug (well kind of)

I had a texture that would decompress to 8MB when running on the S3 (from 2MB). As soon as I changed the maximum resolution of this texture to 1MB it all started working for me.

This still does not explain to me why it worked on a crappy Samsung S2 but not S3 (which has way more memory). I am think the Unity Player is somehow less efficient on these devices but I am guessing this will never get fixed. My advice is purchase these devices and test on them always because they suck more :)

40. mobadu

mobadu

Actually in my case it's not texture compression issue becasue everything looks fine in this topic.

41. Ogien

Ogien

I am doing some more testing of my next release and the S2 is about as fast as the S3 on the same settings, maybe even a bit faster which is crazy because the S3 has much better specs. I still think Unity has performance problems with the S3, Galaxy Tab 3, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Amazon Fire 7th Gen, Apple iPad Mini gen 1 (and many others). I don't know if there is a certain ranges of GPUs but something is up.

I am not going to create a bug about this, because I just don't have 20 hours to spend on proving there is an issue. (if you don't prove it they just want to mark it as Won't Fix) But I did send a PM to Unity-Nikos and it is up to the Unity QA team to see if they want to pursue this on their own.

42. george-daters

george-daters

I've never been able to reproduce a set of steps that causes the crashes on Galaxy SIII Mini.
    I did today some testing with latest Unity version 5.6.0f3. I get rendering issues with skyboxes. Even creating a new project and putting in just a skybox causes issues. I've reported a bug here:
    https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?903140_hlel0n91skb9rvns

This is a new project with a skybox on Galaxy SIII Mini (the skybox is supposed to be checkered on all sides):

Screenshot_2017-04-19-19-35-01.png
    Again, only SIII Mini affected. Thought this might be useful to anyone that's had problems with "Vivante" GPUs and looking to upgrade Unity.

43. Le-Tuan-Son

Le-Tuan-Son

I have the same Issue. Can't reproduce since i don't have the devices.Unity 5.4.5p1 and 5.4.5p3.

Attached Files: