Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Isometric rope

Discussion in '2D' started by drHogan, Feb 18, 2017.

1. drHogan

drHogan

Hi guys,

I have a doubt. I have this Hot Air Balloon and I need to have a rope or chain that ties it to it's tower. All the mechanics are handled independently from the rope physics (i.e. max distance from the tower) but i need to have a rope that simulates reasonably well the fake isometric 3d of the whole scene.

http://giphy.com/gifs/3uvL389TYBUSk

Do you have any suggestion on assets that might handle that nicely?

Cheers,
    H

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Why not make it in 3D (a cinematic element) like the example your provided? Unless the rope will be interactive with player input, the physics can be baked into the animation.

3. drHogan

drHogan

Hi @theANMATOR2b I actually considered going for 3D, but the rope is going to be interactive. In this sense: the player can move the balloon around the tower in a certain range, the rope physics are not used to calculate the range or the movement, just there for cinematics. Any suggestion on assets from the store that might be used to achieve that?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I think - probably a real-time spline - that is renderable would be your best option.

5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

So your whole scene is actually set up in 2D? All in the same Z-plane (more or less)?

6. drHogan

drHogan

@theANMATOR2b looks like a way to go, my ignorance in that part is huge, but will have to make up, thanks!

@JoeStrout yep, containers (and colliders) are all in the same zero plane, but the sprites have a z position according to their y position, so to simulate the depth buffer.

7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Gotcha. Yeah, then a spline or a Bezier curve, perhaps rendered with something like Vectrosity, is probably the way to go.