Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Unityscript/Javascript discontinued?

Discussion in '2017.2 Beta' started by hangemhigh, Aug 5, 2017.

1. hangemhigh

hangemhigh

Every menu to create Javascript is missing Unity with Unity 2017.2.0b5. Is the support for Javacsript removed?

If so, why isn't this mentioned in the release note or blog?

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep they're getting rid of it. Start doing C# and get a head start. It's not hard and the forum will help you. Any difficulty is purely just unfounded fears.

Nexoan and Migtymike like this.
  4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

UnityScript will continue to work in 2017.2. We removed the menu item because we would like to avoid new users picking it up, but you can still add new UnityScript files to your project by other means.

Ryiah and hangemhigh like this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I see, so you're probably just going to let any remaining numbers decline after 2017.2 and then decide at a later date for final removal?

6. Rennan24

Rennan24

Can't wait until all the Boo and "JavaScript" cruft is finally removed, I don't even understand how they managed to keep it alive for this long lol. Especially since managing 3 languages is already hell, they also had to document it, test it, and make sure the IL2CPP stuff works fine with it... Actually, is "JS" and Boo supported by IL2CPP, they should compile to IL right? That must be a major headache if they have to test all that. Please Unity, don't listen to those who wish to hamper progress, C# for all!!! :p

But in all seriousness, dump Boo and "JS" once and for all and just have a way to convert existing Boo or "JS" code to C#. and its kind of annoying when everyone conflates Unity's "JS" with actual JS... No more questions about why their JS code isn't working with Unity ;)

7. CDF

CDF

Finally :D

8. hangemhigh

hangemhigh

Thanks everyone for your input. I am a C# guy and glad that Unityscript is dead.

This post is made just to just confirm that Unityscript is dead.

CreeperPower618 likes this.
  9. j-borden

j-borden

Long Live C#! In my mind, I can't fathom how someone would actively CHOOSE to use Javascript over it anyway...Javascript is not something you write...it is something that other frameworks generate for you :p.

Solaris_1 and TrongGiang like this.
  10. MitchStan

MitchStan

Oh for goodness sakes, get over yourselves. Unityscript had a function at one time, to help newcomers learn to program with Unity. I started on it back in 2006. And I know Fortran, cobol, c, c++, modula-2 and a boatload of other languages from before most of you were born.

I switched to c# two years ago when the writing was on the wall that unityscript had no future.

C# is great, but stop making asses of yourselves with all this celebratory trash talk about the death of unityscript. It's silly.

Zorinthar, pahosler, OdainO and 10 others like this.
  11. j-borden

j-borden

I don't understand this reason. Is there something inherent about it that makes it more adept at helping newcomers? I jumped into Unity at version 2.6 back in my university days and immediately went for C# (though honestly I can't remember if I'd started working with C# before or after that point).

My apologies for being a troll as well, I got caught in the mob mentality ^^; Also I love C# and dislike Javascript adamantly so I am heavily biased.

**EDIT** P.S. The fact that the Unity team was able to maintain three different languages for scripting is an amazing feat, so well done! I can imagine that a lot of employees are celebrating about the death of it, but for a different reason (they have less to maintain)

Rennan24 likes this.
  12. MitchStan

MitchStan

For me what made unityscript easier was simply it was less verbose. Unityscript does a lot of the explicit coding for you behind the scenes which is not a good thing for understanding what is really going on but that's what made it easier. It comes at a cost though. You don't really fully comprehend all that is going on and the further you go the deeper you get in a sort of black box.

I agree that for the sake of development it's great that unity no longer has to devote resources to maintain three languages.

protopop likes this.
  13. Rennan24

Rennan24

I would be inclined to agree with you if it was called Unityscript, as you and many others who realize that its not Javascript. The root of the problem is that its named Javascript! So as much as people will say it helps out beginners, I'm pretty sure it does more harm then good, because many people, including myself, were drawn to it because its "Javascript" and if Unity didn't end up doing so well they could go to the Web, or they might even be coming from the web hoping to make some cross platform games. But then when they start programming in it they realize its a lot different from Javascript making Unity's "Javascript" seem very weird. Unity probably did it to garner more attention towards the engine back then since Javascript is such a popular language, but since Unity is so widely known now, they have no real reason to keep "Javascript" lol...

All in all we didn't make asses of ourselves, Unity made asses of the people trying to learn "Javascript."

P.S. Unity's "Javascript" is much more verbose than Boo and yet tons of people still came in wanting to learn "Javascript" so saying people chose "Javascript" because it was less verbose and easier to learn seems wrong to me.

hangemhigh likes this.
  14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Lets be a tiny bit fair for a moment though. Javascript is an implementation of ECMAScript. So it technically could maybe (it is stretching it a bit) call itself Javascript. However to be super fair, Javascript really is widely understood as being the web version everyone thinks it is :p

On the other hand it could've been devious marketing tactics back when the company could've used the cash! As it's reasonably harmless we shall let Unity live for now... we won't pitchfork them YET!

It would have possibly created a bit less friction to call it "a derivative of Javascript that feels familiar to web and Actionscript developers."

And it's a pretty familiar although incompatible feeling. Still, out with it, since it is kind of pointless when we have C#

CreeperPower618 and Rennan24 like this.
  15. superpig

superpig

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

On the contrary it isn't silly at all. With the death of UnityScript newcomers will have a much easier time because C# often will make a mistake known instead of UnityScript which often allows it to pass through the compiler when it has no chance whatsoever of working correctly.

From my brief exposure to UnityScript my conclusion has been that the syntactical sugar you're referring to here only hides minor functionality that was never difficult to begin with. Worst case if you weren't able to understand the concept now you could always just put it off till a later date when you can understand it.

Four languages. They have a visual scripting language in R&D. In my opinion it will be the best choice for a new developer who isn't interested in the programming aspect of game development. May even be good for someone who is but we'll see.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Rennan24 and hippocoder like this.
  17. MitchStan

MitchStan

We are in total agreement on all points. I just felt that the "ding dong the witch is dead" chorus with no intellectual discourse was obnoxious. But that was like yesterday. Today, don't care.

CreeperPower618 likes this.
  18. superpig

superpig

On second thoughts, removing the menu item is a bit premature, and is just going to make things pointlessly awkward for people who are still finishing up stuff that is UnityScript-based and can't transition to C# immediately. I'm going to bring the menu item back, but rename it to 'UnityScript (deprecated)' and put it in the 'Legacy' submenu.

no00ob and Rennan24 like this.
  19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

@superpig Could be an idea to alter the default Unity template for new UnityScript files as well, to add a comment or link to authoritative info.

20. protopop

protopop

Thank you:) I'm all for learning C# but the crowds have been really derogatory towards people like me who use UnityScript.

Like MitchStan said its less verbose, and as a web designer it was super easy to come in from JavaScript-ing.

insoluzioni likes this.
  21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Please be nice to each other so I don't have to press negative buttons :(