Search Unity

Is unity 5.6 usable?

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by wojwen, Apr 1, 2017.

1. wojwen

wojwen

So unity 5.6 is out and it supports daydream natively. I've heard that beta had big performance issues in VR. Is it a problem with this version as well or is there any other reason not to switch?

2. ScottF

ScottF

Vice President, Platforms

The known performance regression in 5.6 Beta was fixed in builds F2 and F3. I would recommend using 5.6 but will let the community chime in if there might be other concerns.

Claytonious likes this.
  3. Captain-Awesome

Captain-Awesome

I just upgraded my project from the 5.4 technical preview, to 5.6. And it seems to run really well. Except for my screen fade out/in method doesn't work anymore (using GUI.DrawTexture to draw a black image over the screen). Still works perfectly on my computer in the editor, but not on my phone.

But I don't care because I'm too excited about Unity's new splash screen that looks like it will never lose head tracking (a Google Play rejection reason if you ever wanted to have your game show up on their Daydream store).

4. dadude123

dadude123

I don't see as many bugs in 5.6 as I saw in other Unity versions when they were new.
    In fact, I have yet to run into a single new bug.
    It runs really well for me.

The only thing however that's still not fixed is the problem where all UGUI elements suddenly dissapear (in the game view, not the hierarchy) sometimes when you press Ctrl+Z or save the scene.

5. TimurB

TimurB

What do you mean (I don't see any difference in splash screen since beta)?

6. Captain-Awesome

Captain-Awesome

TimurB, it seems different to me coming from 5.4 technical preview, going to 5.6.

Maybe the 5.6 beta/non beta splash screens are the same?

7. cvasquez-coiron

cvasquez-coiron

Actually, we are having issues with Unity 5.6.0f3 (64-bit) developing for daydream, texture artifacts in some 3d meshes... but working fine in Unity 5.6.0b11 ...

8. ScottF

ScottF

Vice President, Platforms

Have you submitted a bug and if so can you post your case ID?