Search Unity

Is there a way to export models or UVs from unity?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jschultz2353, Jul 21, 2017.

1. jschultz2353

jschultz2353

I'm an animation student so I'm familiar with programs like maya and mudbox, however I'm currently at an internship where I am learning how to use just the basics of unity (not doing any scripting/coding, I'm just working on visuals). The game that I am working on already has models that someone else created, but my boss told me to look through them and see if any of the models needed to be re-textured. All of the models are weirdly shiny and attempt to look real but it just comes off as very fake, so I decided to take the art style in more of a toon shading/matte color type of direction. However, having only ever textured using maya and renderman I really have no idea what I'm doing in unity. I want to export UVs so that I can make diffuse maps in photoshop but I don't know how to do that or if it's possible. I also thought if I wanted to edit some of the models I could export them from unity and open them in maya but it seems like that isn't possible either. Is there a way to do this? The team I am working with is very small and the other people are programmers who don't know anything about graphics so I can't really ask for help. As far as I know I don't have access to the original fbx files or maya files which is unfortunate, but the textures do have diffuse maps on them so I know whoever made them in the past must've had UVs. Any recommendations for what I should do? Do I need to find the original fbx files?
    Thanks in advance for any help! I am very clueless!

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

1. Some paragraphs would be nice :)

2. You do have fbx files (or you should). Unless I'm missing something, can't you just grab the files from your assets in your Unity project?

3. jschultz2353

jschultz2353

As I said I am clueless... the one guy I'm working with sent me an asset package.. I don't know how to get the models out of there. When I export it exports as a .unitypackage instead of as an fbx. I'll keep trying things though.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Find your models in Project view, then right click and click show in explorer.

5. jschultz2353

jschultz2353

Just found a way to get them to open in mudbox so I can go from there!

6. jschultz2353

jschultz2353

Thank you.

AcidArrow likes this.