Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the word Unity trademarked?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Denisowator, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Denisowator

Denisowator

Can I use the word "Unity" (capitals, meaning and all that) for commercial use? Or is it trademarked or legally protected in some way?

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Sort of depends in what context. For example there is something called "Unity" healthcare. There are probably many others. If you're in the same industry it's more of a problem. If its anything to do with software I'd probably steer clear for the most part, you don't want to be trying to or creating the impression that you're somehow associated with Unity technologies.

Denisowator likes this.
  3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

4. Denisowator

Denisowator

That's all I needed to know, thanks. :)

Now, who exactly would I contact to get Unity's permission? And does "product" also relate to games? Or just physical items? Because right after, it starts listing physical items including "merchandise".

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

What do you want to use it for? Some uses are permitted in the branding guidance. For example you can use it on a game to indicate it was made with Unity. You can also use it in a tutorial to indicate the tutorial is about Unity. And so on.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  6. Denisowator

Denisowator

I want to use it as part of the game's title.

7. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm pretty sure you're going to get a no-go for that sort of thing. That could easily be confused with it being an official Unity product, which would go against the branding guidelines.

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This. You can't imply that your game is sponsored, supported, endorsed or developed by Unity. Having Unity in the title of the game is likely to do one of those things.

Ryiah and zombiegorilla like this.
  9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

The guidelines already give you an answer on that, it is no. You could follow up with Unity, but that answer will undoubtable be no as well. Permission means you would need to enter into a licensing agreement with them, which there is really no reason they would. Better to save the time and not bother.

wccrawford, Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  10. mysticfall

mysticfall

I don't have any plans to make a game with 'Unity' in its title myself, but I found it a bit too restrictive if it's really prohibited to do so without an obvious intention to promote the game using Unity's popularity.

Quick search on Steam reveals such games like <Unity of Command> or <Assassin’s Creed Unity>, which of course can hardly be regarded as an attempt to exploit Unity's brand value.

I'm not a lawyer nor working at Unity Technology, so I'm not trying to give any definitive answer. But I'm curious to know if such an usage is indeed prohibited by the company.

P.S.: If it's really the case, I might consider starting my own game engine project named 'THE' - Totally Horrendous Engine. Good luck naming your games without the word :D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That is the difference. The game titles you mentioned bear no relationship to Unity, and do nothing to the brand.

It doesn't sound like the OPs intention. It sounds like they want to make Unity Game Engine: The Game. In which case they really do need Unity's permission, and they are unlikely to get it.

12. mysticfall

mysticfall

Sorry if I have missed something. I thought the OP just said it will be a part of the game's title?

angrypenguin likes this.
  13. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I interpreted this to mean they wanted to use the name of the engine. If they just want to publish Alien Unity, a game about a communist uprising on Mars, then they probably don't need permission from Unity.

That said, it might still be worth going through the official registration of a trademark, just so that the lawyers can make it clear who has rights to use the words in which contexts. From memory we had a long thread about No Man's Sky and Sky having a similar legal wrangling. No Man's Sky was restricted from using the name to create a TV show, broadcasting network or similar. And they were restricted from shortening the games name to 'Sky' in any of their marketing material.

theANMATOR2b and Denisowator like this.
  14. mysticfall

mysticfall

@BoredMormon Oh, I understand now. I missed that part initially, so I'll put my THE project on hold until what the OP meant becomes clear. :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  15. Denisowator

Denisowator

Pretty much.

I was specifically referring to the engine.

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

Bonus points if the visual scripting language is a fungeoid.

https://esolangs.org/wiki/Fungeoid

theANMATOR2b and Denisowator like this.
  17. mysticfall

mysticfall

Urg... I feel like I have some fungi growing in my brain just by reading the description. But I'll probably be safe, since my dream of making a new game engine has been killed prematurely by @Denisowator 's clarification :p

Denisowator likes this.
  18. Denisowator

Denisowator

Behold is it I! The destroyer of dreams! The breaker of hopes! The ruler of the undergoouuun.... I'll leave now.

mysticfall likes this.
  19. Ryiah

Ryiah

Here's a video with esoteric language demos and the first is Befunge which originated the fungeoid languages. He describes it as a cross between Forth and Lemmings.

mysticfall likes this.