Search Unity

Is the linux version recommended for a newcomer?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by A_Savvidis, Oct 9, 2016.

1. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

This is my first post on Unity forums so please forgive me if I post this on the wrong section

I am a 3d/VR Designer with some basic programming knowledge as well and I am thinking of focusing all my time on learning Unity 3d to make a carrier turn out of it

I am a linux mint 18 user and although I do have a windows partition I do prefer working with linux
    Should I start with the latest linux beta or stick to a maybe more solid/dependable windows version of Unity 3d?

Thank you for your time

2. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

BTW I guess Daydream is what caught my attention the most. Is the linux version Daydream ready?

3. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

It has been really stable for me. There are some annoying issues that do pop up here and there. For instance, right now there's a bug where custom menu options stop working after you hit play and they are only available again after a restart.

I could be wrong, but I think the latest versions have the same features as their Mac/Win counterparts :)

4. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

Well the simple drag n drop (for example to get a material to a gameobject) does not work on my mint 18

5. arcooke

arcooke

Does it completely not work? I have a similar issue in Mint 17, but it does actually work, you just can't see the drag and drop visual cues (like the drop target doesn't highlight as you hover over it).

kmare likes this.
  6. Odd-Redesign

Odd-Redesign

The Linux Editor is just as usuable as the Windows and Mac versions.

However, to be able to differentiate between an error and wanted behavior, it might be practical to use one of the other versions for some time and then start using the Linux Editor again.

I'm am sure the Linux Editor is just as newcomer friendly as the other versions. It's just that, well, some of the drag and drop stuff and some other interface bugs might be confusing if you don't know how the feature should behave normally.

Sometimes you need to drop it on a specific area for it to apply. For example, if you drag a material on an object in the inspector, make sure to drop it on the empty space at the bottom (where Add Component sits).

7. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

I've tried that. It does not work... The only way to do it is grab the material and drop it on the name of the object on the hierarchy view... (I didn't had any problem doping materials on windows Unity)

Also...
    1. I installed monodelevop
    2. I installed Unity
    ***Script editing works
    3. Ununstalled monodevelop
    ***Script editing does not work
    4. Reinstalled monodevelop
    ***Still doesn't work
    5. Setup Unity not to use the build in monodevelop but point to the standalone monodevelop
    double clicking a script opens monodev but does not open up the specific script....

Will check more into this matter

8. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

Dropping materials to the scene objects works, but really bad. You have to be really close to the object and even then, the material also gets applied to all objects you moved your cursor above.

9. sirvela

sirvela

As for the monodevelop, I prefer using gedit or kate for script editting because they are lighter. My monodevelop editor works perfectly and I still doesn't use it. You're not forced to use any specific editor at all when it comes to text files.