Search Unity

Is the Linux editor still actively being worked on?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by LukaKotar, Jun 18, 2016.

1. syscrusher

syscrusher

Does Unity editor on Linux use gtk, qt, or both for graphics?

2. mischa2k

mischa2k

Linux Mint also worked a few months ago when I tried it. Almost all the Ubuntu programs run there too anyway.

3. Tak

Tak

Yes, it should work on any flavor/respin of ubuntu, provided that you have all the dependencies.

Well, we can only officially support Ubuntu, but we work hard to make sure it works everywhere.

Cygon4, Deleted User and YucelBrendel like this.
  4. Tak

Tak

Unity uses gtk for native windowing, menus, etc. (Although the bug reporter dialog uses an embedded qt, on all platforms.)

syscrusher likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you. :) I just installed Mint and download the "other Linux 64 bits" version of the editor installer. I must boot on Mint before that; the first thing I did after installation was booting W7 to be sure that everything was right. ;)
    Thank you! :)

6. syscrusher

syscrusher

Thanks. :)

7. Tak

Tak

The .deb installer should be fine on Mint (again, provided that you can satisfy the dependencies).

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you. Unfortunately, Mint doesn't offer any driver for my graphics cards so I had to switch to OpenSuSE. I still have to install the proprietary drivers though; if I don't manage to do it in OpenSuSE, I'll have to look for another distribution... So much time wasted...

9. Degra

Degra

The pre-installed open-source Mesa driver should definitely be compatible with your GPU and be sufficient to work with Unity.
    Which GPU do you have?

Linux Mint has Ubuntu's "Additional drivers" option, as far as I know, which makes installing the proprietary driver very easy. openSUSE is much more complicated in this regard, as it has to be installed manually, which can require a lot of steps.
    So if you want to stick with proprietary drivers for some reason, Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distributions like Mint, elementaryOS, etc. are your best bet.

If you got an old AMD GPU, then Mesa is your best bet, cause AMD stopped supporting anything older than Radeon HD 7xxx. If you got an Nvidia GPU, I can see why you would want to install the proprietary drivers, cause Mesa cannot adjust the clock frequency for any recent Nvidia GPU and is therefore quite slow there.

syscrusher likes this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Mesa? If you mean Vesa, it doesn't allow graphic acceleration.

My GPU is an AMD APU; the radeon installed in Mint is incompatible with the cards and there are no proprietary drivers available for me. Installing proprietary drivers manually is not difficult at all, provided you get the right ones! :D

11. Degra

Degra

Yes, Mesa.
    That's the name of the open-source graphics driver that comes pre-installed in basically 100% of all Linux distributions that are capable of displaying more than just the plain Shell, including Linux Mint and openSUSE.
    If it's a very recent AMD APU you should better stick to a distribution that gets updated more frequently, like Ubuntu or Fedora. Linux Mint's support of recent hardware is rather poor, as they value stability over up-to-date software, which includes drivers. The same applies to openSUSE Leap by the way, as it's focused on stability like no other.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed you would have more success with.

What I mean with complicated installations is like this guide, installing nvidia drivers on fedora, which is 4 long pages, and requires you to temper with a lot of stuff under the hood: http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

I eventually reinstalled Ubuntu 16.04.1 and this time it seems that my cards are fully supported. Installed Unity and started it; it works. I even managed to open a project that I had begun under W7, after removing all the .meta files. Unfortunately, it lags.

How do I know if all dependencies have been installed and I'm not missing something?

13. zeitona

zeitona

If the installation process for the .deb file went through OK, than you have all the dependencies. dpkg, the software responsible for managing packages in Ubuntu, will only allow a package to be installed if you have all dependencies for it also installed.

You can verify that unity is indeed installed by running this on a terminal:

dpkg -l unity-editor

which will return you something like this:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name Version Architecture Description
    +++-====================================-=======================-=======================-=============================================================================
    ii unity-editor 5.5.0xb2Linux amd64 Editor for the Unity Game Engine

As you can see from the header of the output, the first letter ('i') represents what you have ordered dpkg to do, in this case, you ordered dpkg to install the package. The second letter represents the current state of the package. Since this package shows an 'i' as the second letter, then we know it is installed. If you simply try to install the unity package and something fails because of dependencies. you would probably see something like this:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name Version Architecture Description
    +++-====================================-=======================-=======================-=============================================================================
    iU unity-editor 5.5.0xb2Linux amd64 Editor for the Unity Game Engine

As you can see, the first letter is still 'i', meaning you have the intention of installing the package, but the second letter is a 'U', which means Unpacked, meaning that the .deb package was extracted, but could not finish installation because something went wrong (probably missing dependencies). If that was the case, you can usually fix missing dependencies by running

sudo apt-get -f install

Deleted User likes this.
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah thank you. I thought dependencies had something with how the editor runs, not with its installation. Since I managed starting it and loaded a project, I suppose it has been properly installed. :)

15. vxdcxw

vxdcxw

Just to inform I successfully installed "5.4.1f" on Arch. Seems to work fine this far. Finaly my team can't use the "not on linux" excuse anymore. Thank you a lot. ;)

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Linux people we should all join in buying more subs, give Unity something to think about :)..

17. Cygon4

Cygon4

If they offered perpetual licenses again I'd be reaching for my credit card right now... :)

18. Kiori

Kiori

What's the reason for MonoDevelop as the default code editor instead of vscode?
    Given how fine vscode has become.

19. tswalk

tswalk

$MS hate, love the hate

20. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Haha, that couldn't be true since M$ also owns Xamarin, which in turn owns the MonoDevelop rights.

I think the main reasons VS Code isn't used yet are because:

A) Visual Studio is used on Windows and Visual Studio is used on the Mac. MonoDevelop is used on Linux. All three use essentially the same project format. Actually, Visual Studio on the Mac is a souped up version of MonoDevelop, which used to be called Xamarin Studio. So, it's probably easiest for the teams to just package up MonoDevelop on Linux since the three are quite similar to each other. I may be wrong about the exact reasoning here though.

B) VS Code doesn't seem quite mature enough to be used for mid to large scale projects. It will be nice when it's ready for that though :)

21. tswalk

tswalk

:D

well.. I for one love the hate, and I don't think many people could hate them as much as I do at times.. and I'm a fanboi. yes, that's a paradox of sorts. Perhaps a new word is in order like "Paradoi".

honestly though, it's "change." People hate that more than anything until they're exposed to it enough then begin to accept it. Like.. oh, subscription based services.

22. zevarito

zevarito

Does anyone found a link of Benchmarking Linux/Mac/Win for Unity-Editor ?

23. IWillPickAUsernameLater

IWillPickAUsernameLater

So, hi, I just stumbled into this forum today while trying to find out how I can start learning Unity in a Linux environment. There isnt much in the way of info on the official website ;)

This thread has me convinced that is still possible. So Im gonna necro here: its mid 2018, is the Linux editor still actively being worked on?

Years, later, C is still hidden away somewhere...

24. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

25. Furai

Furai

Are linux builds lagging a bit behind windows ones? It seems that there is unity 2018.2.2 and the latest we can get right now is 2018.2.1f1? Is this normal?

Btw, thanks for all the hard work on supporting Unity on Linux! This makes me extremely happy!