Search Unity

Is the linux build of Unity stable? Where/how do I download latest build?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jperk, Jun 12, 2016.

1. jperk

jperk

Okay, so first what is the latest build for Unity 3D in linux? Is it stable & include all the features from PC/Mac versions? In other words, can I develop and compile games in Linux? Secondly, where & how do I download Unity 3d for Linux Mint?

Also, is Unity 3d (linux version) more stable than Unreal Engine4 (linux version)? I ask because both seem to be in a beta experimental stage. I'd rather opt for the engine that can have me developing and compiling games in Linux without having to resort to Windows or OSX.

OAO_Yuan likes this.
  2. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Yes, the editor is functional and stable enough to develop games on. There are a few issues though, such as buggy mouse control when playing your game in editor and high CPU usage (up to 100% on a single core). And yes, you are able to do anything you can on other platforms.

It does seem more stable than Unreal Engine 4. In Unity's Linux editor, everything works, although you might see occasional issues. UE4 (in my experience) has much bigger problems, where some things won't work at all or require effort to get them to work, but overall, UE4's editor does seem to run smother and feels more responsive.

You can download it from this thread: Unity on Linux: Release Notes and Known Issues
    Scroll to the bottom to get the latest version. Since you're using Mint, you should download the .deb file.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    z3ntu likes this.
  3. jperk

jperk

Okay, I installed the package for unity editor 5.4. But how do I launch it? It does not show up in search.

4. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Odd that it doesn't show up, but you can type /opt/Unity/Editor/Unity into the terminal to launch it.

I'm not familiar with Linux Mint, but in Ubuntu I sometimes have to log out before new applications show up in the search.

5. jperk

jperk

I was able to get it working. I just had to restart the computer after installing the package. Everything works pretty good from what I've tested. Haven't done any extensive work, but the interface seems stable enough. Asset store loads, etc.

6. routitsm

routitsm

The Unity editor is stable and works well except for some minor occasional UI glitches, like a menu won't close. Nothing major. Most issues I experience are to do with script debugging in MonoDevelop: the debugger keeps detaching, variable values won't show, and the immediate window is almost useless. I am not sure if the problem lies with Unity or MonoDevelop, but that's where most of the pain comes from for me (I am using Ubuntu)

7. orb

orb

It's always MonoDevelop. It sucks on any platform. Try Visual Studio Code instead - it's very stable and should have Unity support out of the box even on Linux, and debugging with an extension.

8. cemugurk

cemugurk

I have tried to work VS code and unity on ubuntu but I could not get work. Do I need to edit Editor Args? I tried with "$(File)" or $(File) nothing works (project not loading on vs code as well)
    upload_2017-7-18_11-33-30.png

9. orb

orb

The settings look correct, so all it should take is a restart of the Unity editor to be on the safe side. Is VSCode in your path, i.e. does "code" from a terminal run it?

10. cemugurk

cemugurk

It was snap version. Now tried with normal version(from apt). but nothing firing up :( i have installed mono-complete and vscode dependencies from vscode. any suggest?

11. orb

orb

On other platforms VSCode is recognised automatically when you select it, so it doesn't even offer an argument to use. Since VSC really works off the solution found in the directory, perhaps "$(ProjectPath)" works? The example in the manual also uses quotation marks around it.

12. cemugurk

cemugurk

Yes you are right. I deleted snap version and standart one, just reinstalled from apt. Then argument offer gone but still no project to loading :(

13. orb

orb

Does VSCode open the solution if you point it at the directory though? That's a passable temporary workaround. It should probably also be reported as a bug.

14. cemugurk

cemugurk

Thank you orb!

Removing all and re-installing all dependencies did the work! Solution loading with no errors and intellisense working.

15. orb

orb

Awesome! Hopefully you don't have to suffer MonoDevelop ever again :)

I think VSCode is at the point where they could bundle it with Unity now, at least on macOS and Windows. For Linux they should perhaps set up a repo with binaries and have an optional all-in-one package which depends on their Unity, VSCode and other packages, like build-essential or the *-desktop packages do.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi all, i wanted to ask you if all the exporter work on linux, especially the nintendo. Many thanks!

17. mysticfall

mysticfall

As to IDE of choice on Linux platform, I'd suggest you to check Rider as well. Even though it's a commercial product, it offers tons of productivity features that can make the experience of developing C#/Unity projects on Linux much easier.

18. Tak

Tak

No - due to platform vendor limitations, not all platforms can be published to from every platform. For example, most of the console SDKs are only available for Windows.

19. Joseph-Ferano

Joseph-Ferano

Yes, I've been using it and it's great. It even weaned me off of vim + omnisharp, which was no easy task.

mysticfall likes this.