Search Unity

Is Hack and Slash still a viable tutorial?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by michaelcapone, Jul 15, 2015.

1. michaelcapone

michaelcapone

I have been looking around at tutorials lately to create a 3D single-player RPG game in C# with a real-time battle system (not turn-based). There are a ton of tutorials out there, but there are even more unfinished, poor-quality tutorials. Many tutorials do not contain a sample of the game the author is building towards to give you a good feel as to what you are aiming for. I do not want to waste time going through a tutorial series only to find out it ends abruptly.

I believe the Hack and Slash tutorial series is what I am looking for. However, I believe it was created in Unity 3. Is this still a valid tutorial I can use to learn to create the type of game I described above? I know the author of Hack and Slash is working on an update for it to Unity 5, but I am looking for something that is finished (even if it is in Unity 4).

Is Hack and Slash still viable using Unity 4.6 with it, or do you have a suggestion for a more recent tutorial series which is complete, and perhaps provide the user with a glimpse as to what the finished product would look like before they get started?

Thanks!

2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

It might help if you included a link to the tutorial you want people to review. At this point, no one knows which tutorial series you are actually referring to.

3. Senladar

Senladar

4. softwizz

softwizz

Doesnt look like it is relevant as the link supplied by Senladar is 404:
    However there is a version for Unity 5 that looks like it was started (and ended) 3 months ago:
    http://burgzergarcade.net/tag/hack-n-slash/

5. Acissathar

Acissathar

Not sure where you got the "ended" part from. He is still continuing with his Unity remaster(?), but through YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/BurgZergArcade/videos). Granted the last one was a week ago, but that is much more recent than 3 months ago at least.

6. Nubz

Nubz

Either if you do the old ( I would dl 3.5 for the old version) or the new one you will learn a lot from Petey.

So many things I learned from himover the last 5 years its crazy.

7. softwizz

softwizz

I assumed it was abandoned because I just checked their website and the only video with the tags 'hack n slash' was the one linked to and that was the only video on their site for it, I didnt check youtube for more videos as I foolishly assumed they would also be on their website.

I couldnt find them on youtube

8. superwendel

superwendel

9. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Hey, I just heard about this thread.Everything should still work from the original series, but you may have to do little extra work.

Things like the guiTexture for example. There is no guiTexture, but you can create an Empty GameObject and then just add the guiTexture component.

Keep in mind that we now have a new Particle System, and GUI system to take advantage of since the creation of the original series.

Hope this helps :)

JamesArndt likes this.