Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Blender Suitable For Level Design (Object Placement)?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by JVGameDev, Jan 14, 2017.

1. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

Hi! My role on the team is object placements.Will Blender be suitable for this? Sadly, the Unity editor is not an option.

2. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Curious I am.....why is the Unity Editor not an option? Part of the Unity editor is meant for exactly that(and does a decent job of it).

Blender can do it, but it will take more work. You will need to come up with a system to get your levels from Blender to Unity. And you will have to work around Unity wanting to import all the meshes etc... since all you want in this instance is just object placement. If you don't, you will have lots of wasted space due to Unity using all those duplicated objects. And part of this is taking those objects and turning them into actual functional prefabs in Unity.

Now, if you were talking about just level geometry, then Blender would be perfectly fine for that. But your post mentions "object placement" so I assume you don't mean just level geometry.

3. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

Well the reason the Unity Editor isn't an option (and trust me, I wish it was) is because I joined a group for level design, and I just found out they are using Unreal Engine. The reason I posted the question here though is because I have been using Unity for a few years now and I'd rather get answer from you guys.

4. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Hmmm, I understand the issue with using the Unity editor then. By the same token, the UE4 editor works similar to the Unity editor in this specific instance. You should be able to directly use the visual level editor in UE4 once the objects are created(called "blueprints" in UE4).

Xaon likes this.