Search Unity

iOS Native Crash Reporting Preview Build

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by quixotic, Aug 9, 2016.

1. quixotic

quixotic

Administrator

EDIT: We are no longer doing preview builds, as this feature is now released in 5.6.

What's this?

iOS native crash reporting! Have a game you're going to release on iOS? This will help you see crashes as they happen (across all your iOS builds and devices) and symbolicates the crash dumps so you can debug them.

What version of Unity?
    We have preview builds available for 5.3.5p8 and 5.4.0f3.

How do I get it?
    Send an email to: perfsupport@unity3d.com

What's Unity looking for?
    People to partner closely with, so we can get feedback. Is it useful? How do we make it better?

What's next?
    We're working on native crashes for OSX, and then will be doing them for Android. We also plan on having a public preview build, once we've gotten some initial feedback.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  2. liortal

liortal

I am interested in switching our current crash reporting service. So far i have evaluated a few options. It would be interesting to check out this option as well.

I have a few questions, i hope this is OK:
    1. Is this currently integrated (in preview) with Unity cloud build? do you have preview builds available there?
    2. What type of crash reporting is currently available ?
    3. How do you define native crashes? are these crashes that occur in native user/engine code? (e.g: a plugin we create or buy that uses Objective-C , Swift or C++ code) ?

3. thomasn_unity

thomasn_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, thanks for your interest.

Cloud build integration is in the works, but isn't available at the moment. You would have to use a custom preview build we provide for now.

This solution captures native crashes on iOS, which includes crashes in native user code, engine code and plugins. If you're using IL2CPP and have the "Fast but no exceptions" setting enabled, it will also capture crashes due to uncaught managed exceptions.

For the reports, we are currently showing the native stack trace of the crashed thread. Also, if the crash was due to an uncaught managed exception, we show the managed stack trace of where the exception originated along with the native stack trace.

We are not currently able to capture out of memory "crashes" where the application is killed by the operating system.

Here's an example of what a report for a crash due to a managed exception looks like:

4. aazhari

aazhari

We tried sending an email but received an email delivery error. It was suggested that we look into https://support.google.com/a/unity3d.com/bin/topic.py?topic=25838 but that link doesn't work either.

We would appreciate if you could point us in the right direction.

Thanks.

5. quixotic

quixotic

Administrator

Thank you for letting us know, I'll look into that. And sending you a message directly to get you in the right direction.

Edit: perfsupport@unity3d.com is now fixed and able to receive external emails.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    aazhari likes this.
  6. amjaliks

amjaliks

What about latest Unity 5.4.1f1?

Start with iOS 10 we get a bit more of mysterious crashes. And without meaningful stack-traces we can only guess how to fix them.

7. thomasn_unity

thomasn_unity

Unity Technologies

8. amjaliks

amjaliks

Do you plan to keep it up-to-date with Unity versions? We try to switch to latest Unity versions as soon as our own development process allows.

9. Thomas-Su

Thomas-Su

We are using Unity 5.3.5p7. I can get the errors on the debug build. But I can not get the errors when we make the IOS distribution release build. Do we need to change anything when we make the distribution build? Or should I get this Unity build?

10. Mazyod

Mazyod

I would really like to know if it is possible to log handled exceptions? Does the service allow that?
    We have parts of the codebase which if reached, we can recover from, but would like to register as a severe exception anyway.