1. We've introduced thread tags, search within a thread and similar thread search. Read more here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Learn how you'll soon be able to publish your games to China in four simple steps with Xiaomi. Sign up now for early access.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Get further faster with the Unity Plus Accelerator Pack, free for new Unity Plus subscribers for a limited time. Click here for more details.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We've released our first Timeline Experimental Preview, our new tool for creating cutscenes and more! To check it out click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Unity 5.5 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out all the fixes for 5.5 in patch releases 1 & 2.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Unity 5.6 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

iOS cardboard support broken?

Discussion in 'Virtual Reality' started by batmobile, Mar 15, 2017.

1. batmobile

batmobile

I just made a basic test scene consisting of a rotating cube and a sphere mounted in front of the camera.

Works fine in Android Cardboard VR and Oculus, but when I compile to Cardboard on iOS the left and right eyes have their cameras set up wrong.

The sphere is not even showing in one eye, and the eye disparity is way too large. Not even the Unity loading logo is showing right.

I am testing on iPhone 6S, using Unity 5.6 beta 11.

Any ideas ?

2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Can you provide a screen shot showing the disparity?

3. batmobile

batmobile

Sure, here are screenshots from the app. Both the Unity loading screen and the simple test scene, as described in the first post:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As mentioned, looks completely fine when running the same app on Android with the Cardboard SDK:

[​IMG]

Let me know if you need the project files.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  4. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Are you manually changing VR render scale in your code?

5. batmobile

batmobile

No, and observe that the problem happens already on the Unity loading screen before any of my code is executed at all.

The only script running in the test case above is the one rotating the cube, everything else are the default settings.

6. jabonz2048

jabonz2048

Hey everyone,

I am having exactly the same issue. I need my Unity Cardboard app to work in both Android and iOS. Using Android, the scene is rendered correctly, in iOS, I am seeing the issue with the rendering as batmobile is seeing. This is using Unity 5.6b11, and built in Cardboard VR support. This is both with a simple sample project, as it is with our more complex scene.

No settings such as VR render scale or any others were altered from default settings. We tried forcing the graphics API to GLES2, GLES3 or Metal, with no difference in the rendered scene.

I am testing whether going back to 5.5 and using the Google Cardboard SDK works better at the moment.

I can attach additional tests or screenshots if it is of any help.

7. batmobile

batmobile

I just tried the latest beta 5.6.0f1, and now the test scene wont even compile at all.

When the Cardboard SDK is enabled, I get:

Apple Mach-O Linker (ld) Error Group
    Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:
    "_gvr_controller_state_get_position", referenced from:
    LoadGVRPlugin(GVRPlugin*, char const*) in libiPhone-lib.a(ApiFuncGVR.o)
    "_gvr_controller_state_get_last_position_timestamp", referenced from:
    LoadGVRPlugin(GVRPlugin*, char const*) in libiPhone-lib.a(ApiFuncGVR.o)
    ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

I even tried to set up an entire new empty test project from the new Unity version, and it fails.

8. mattSydney

mattSydney

Exact same problem here

9. batmobile

batmobile

I checked different beta builds now, and anyone who need this to work has to revert to 5.6.0b10 until Unity addresses the broken VR-support for Apple's devices.