Search Unity

iOS builds keep getting canceled

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by Adrian, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Adrian

Adrian

So I'm trying out cloud build with a pretty simple Unity project. I've set up Mac builds which work great but the iOS build keep getting canceled. Out of then iOS builds only a single one succeeded so far.

The last five builds or so all seem to stall during compilation in XCode, these are the last lines showing up in the log (before the build times out and it gets canceled):
    Any idea what could be going wrong? I've looked through the forums but couldn't find anything related to this and there's no error message to go by.

2. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

Our build process will automatically cancel a build if it becomes unresponsive for too long (which varies based on which step of the process it's in). In this particular case it looks like it was canceled after one of the clang steps in Xcode ran for over an hour without any output. Are you performing any modifications to the generated Xcode project? Or including any very large libraries of code that might take a longer-than-normal amount of time to compile?

3. AquaGhost

AquaGhost

Also getting a 100% cancel as of this morning. Were there settings changed on your end?
    /BUILD_PATH/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.1/gems/excon-0.37.0/lib/excon/middlewares/expects.rb:6:in `response_call': Cannot re-publish existing finished build attempt. (Bvr::API::Errors::RequestFailed)

4. unitychrism

unitychrism

AquaGhost,

That error is something that we're aware of and looking into. I'll post an update here when I have more info.

5. AquaGhost

AquaGhost

@unitychrism for some reason the latest build went through. Not sure if you put in a fix already.

6. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

@AquaGhost: yes a fix was deployed for that specific issue. Sorry for the troubles.

7. Adrian

Adrian

I don't modify the XCode project and don't do anything special during the build process.

The project doesn't contain any native plugins, my own utility library with 20k loc, ProceduralToolkit from Github with 10k loc and the project itself has about 1k loc. Compiling from a cleaned XCode project takes about 70 seconds on my 2012 MacBook Air 11".

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  8. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

@Adrian: and you're building with IL2CPP? What version of Unity / XCode are you building with on your local machine? Will investigate this more on our backend as that compile step shouldn't be taking that long so something else must be up.

9. Adrian

Adrian

@dannyd: Yes, using IL2CPP. Using Unity 5.3.4p1 and XCode 7.3. Thanks for looking into it!

10. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

Looking at your builds I'm not seeing anything that looks like it would obviously cause this issue. My guess is that it's related to the XCode version. We currently only support Xcode 7.0, but are in the process of getting XCode 7.2 rolled out (and then 7.3 soon after that).

11. Adrian

Adrian

Hey, seems like it's only the debug build that's working for me. Finally tried to make a release build yesterday and the build also gets stuck, although at a different file than the cloud build. Turning off optimizations makes the build work again (I tried all the optimization levels but only turning them off worked). Should I try submitting a bug report for the issue?

12. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

@Adrian: yes filing a bug would be the best thing to do in that case.

13. kelloh

kelloh

I'm also seeing my iOS builds get cancelled, without a clear reason why. It definitely builds locally with a clean checkout.

The last couple lines in the compact log looks like this:

17: [xcode] /APPLICATION_PATH/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/actool --output-format human-readable-text --notices --warnings --export-dependency-info /BUILD_PATH/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Unity-iPhone-dguhyaoggxpwfwdwduanjzqxtckb/Build/Intermediates/ArchiveIntermediates/Unity-iPhone/IntermediateBuildFilesPath/Unity-iPhone.build/Release-iphoneos/Unity-iPhone.build/assetcatalog_dependencies --output-partial-info-plist /BUILD_PATH/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Unity-iPhone-dguhyaoggxpwfwdwduanjzqxtckb/Build/Intermediates/ArchiveIntermediates/Unity-iPhone/IntermediateBuildFilesPath/Unity-iPhone.build/Release-iphoneos/Unity-iPhone.build/assetcatalog_generated_info.plist --app-icon AppIcon --launch-image LaunchImage --compress-pngs --enable-on-demand-resources YES --sticker-pack-identifier-prefix .sticker-pack. --target-device iphone --target-device ipad --minimum-deployment-target 6.0 --platform iphoneos --product-type com.apple.product-type.application --compile /BUILD_PATH/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Unity-iPhone-dguhyaoggxpwfwdwduanjzqxtckb/Build/Intermediates/ArchiveIntermediates/Unity-iPhone/InstallationBuildProductsLocation/APPLICATION_PATH/laserwartremoval.app /BUILD_PATH/kevin-watters.laser-wart-removal.default-ios/temp.QjV97b/Unity-iPhone/Images.xcassets
    18: Build was canceled
    19: publishing finished successfully.
    20: Finished: CANCELED

Any ideas on how to more thoroughly diagnose what's going on here?