Search Unity

iOS Build Size Debugging

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Retr1buti0n, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Retr1buti0n

Retr1buti0n

Hello,

To preface, I've been reading the stickied threads concerning the 5.3.x build size increases and the IL2CPP build size improvements, but I've tried the solutions listed in these threads to no avail so far. I believe the issue is more that my assets may not being properly compressed, or that other assets are being included that I am not aware of. I've made sure that Enable Bitcode in my XCode project is disabled, but this was an ongoing issue I was seeing before 5.3.x so I'm confident it's not any of the typical use cases users are seeing where builds were becoming bloated after 5.3.x.

When I build for iOS, I'm looking at the complete file size output in the Editor.log to see a total size of 144MB currently:

Textures 34.8 mb 24.1%
    Meshes 5.4 kb 0.0%
    Animations 85.0 kb 0.1%
    Sounds 4.2 mb 2.9%
    Shaders 209.9 kb 0.1%
    Other Assets 2.5 mb 1.7%
    Levels 94.5 mb 65.5%
    Scripts 2.3 mb 1.6%
    Included DLLs 5.2 mb 3.6%
    File headers 434.5 kb 0.3%
    Complete size 144.3 mb 100.0%
    However, once I publish that build to my device (either by Running via XCode or Archiving and distributing to TestFlight), the build size is 336MB. TestFlight shows that the compressed build size is closer to my original Editor.log output of 144MB, but then shows the App Store size is what is getting published to my devices of 336MB.

My question is: Is this use case common? Should I be expecting that large of a file size increase when the build is uncompressed? And if so, is there any way that I can get more details of what is exactly forcing the increased build size?

I have very few plugins and external dependencies, consisting of:
    • DeltaDNA (+Smart Ads)
    • FacebookSDK
    • NGUI
    I am making sure to compress my textures using PVRTC format where ever possible, so I'm assuming the uncompressed build size is mostly occurring due to these assets not being compressed. I've tried looking around to get a better sense of what could be contributing to the build size, but the most common answer is obviously to reduce the size of your assets. I don't believe I can compress my art assets down much further resolution-wise, and I'm already leveraging PVRTC in most scenarios.

Any other ideas or areas I can dig into for a better idea on what is the most contributing factor(s) to my build size?

Thanks!

2. _Paulius

_Paulius

Mobile Developer Unity Technologies

We've found that local and testflight builds tend to be much larger than the final app downloaded from the App Store,
    as they include debug symbol files and architectures which are not included in the app when downloading from the App Store.

'Estimated App Store file sizes' in iTunesConnect provides a fairly accurate estimate, but if you want more details you can use this formula to calculate an approximate app size after archiving it in Xcode and unzipping the archive:

'zipped app(without binary) + 'binary text partition' + 0.2* 'binary data partition'
    (just run 'size' on the binary inside the app to get partition sizes)

3. Retr1buti0n

Retr1buti0n

I checked the Install Size that is posted on TestFlight for the App Store file size estimations, but they are all very close (within a few MB) of the build size that is pushed down to my device via TestFlight or pushing to it manually. The 'Compressed File Size' shown is 131MB.