Search Unity

Inventory Pro - uGUI - Performance - Mobile support & More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jorisshh, Mar 8, 2015.

?

What should I build next?

1. New currency system

14.1%
  2. Improved serialization / saving for web

10.8%
  3. Better properties for items (percentages, base values, etc)

27.2%
  4. Controller support

15.4%
  5. Unity 5.1 networking (multiplayer)

36.9%
  6. More modular build to simplify extending

25.1%
  7. UFPS Multiplayer (Asset integration)

11.5%
  8. Core GameKit (Asset integration)

4.1%
  9. Dialogue system (Asset integration)

21.3%
  10. Wordpress integration (Asset integration)

4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. magique

magique

It automatically said there were updates and I allowed it to install them. That didn't change anything.

I'll wait for the update and pray that it solves the issue.

2. jorisshh

jorisshh

It just went live :)

3. magique

magique

Thanks. I'll check this out tonight.

4. wood333

wood333

Here are the import warnings from 2.5.2. Just F.Y.I.

Of course the Speed Tree warning is their issue, appearing just because you used some in a scene. We who use speed tree are accustomed to resetting the materials.

InvPro Import Warnings.JPG

5. wood333

wood333

Unity 5.3.5f1 and IPro 2.5.2. When I followed the setup video tutorial, matching it step by step, the issue detector found 33 yellow issues and one red for the localization database, but in the video you had none. Am I doing something wrong?

This was with a new project, fresh 2.5.2 import, new scene, and check update indicated I had the latest version.

6. magique

magique

I just tried the latest version and I see the same errors as the previous version. This time I simply imported the entire package right up front except from Standard Assets. I went to Tools/Devdog/Check for Updates and it says I have the latest version. Very odd. Any ideas what could be wrong?

EDIT: After restarting Unity and reloading the project, the issue goes away.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    jorisshh and hopeful like this.
  7. jorisshh

jorisshh

What issues exactly did you find?

For now, the LocalizationManager can be ignored, as Inventory Pro isn't yet using any localization. Of course, you can use localization for your own system if you'd like to do so :)

You can use the following types:

LocalizedString
    LocalizedObject
    LocalizedAudioClip
    LocalizedAudioClipInfo
    LocalizedTexture2D
    LocalizedSprite

8. Alex3333

Alex3333

How to update? in the same way as before. to delete the folder. Or the last time it was automatic window updates.

9. jorisshh

jorisshh

I'd recommend removing the folder first and then importing; It's usually the least painful way :p

10. magique

magique

I was having problems with Inventory Pro and Quest System Pro as you can see from my post in the QSP thread so I decided to start a fresh project and see if I could get the problems to go away. I started with Inventory Pro and I imported the entire package. I then ran the 8.AllDone demo and I immediately get the following error:

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable container of ItemCollectionBase has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the container variable of the ItemCollectionBase script in the inspector.
    UnityEngine.Component.GetComponent[DynamicLayoutGroup] () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/WiiU/runtime/UnityEngineComponentBindings.gen.cs:48)
    Devdog.InventoryPro.ItemCollectionBase.Awake () (at Assets/Devdog/InventoryPro/Scripts/Collections/ItemCollectionBase.cs:489)

When I click on the error, it refers to the GameObject object in the hierarchy. So it appears this demo scene is broken. Otherwise, it looks much better than the issues I was seeing when I imported into an existing project. I am now going to try importing QSP and see how that does in this same project.

11. wood333

wood333

I get:

"Mono Behavior File Name Doesn't Match class name". nineteen times.

The other fourteen warning messages are gone since yesterday, with no action on my part.

F.Y.I. I don't get the error messages that @magique has.

12. wood333

wood333

When I hit play, I get these:

Play errors.JPG

13. magique

magique

I started fresh in a project with just Inventory Pro and once I was sure it was working, I simply copied over the devdog folder from that project to my full project. However, I keep getting the following 2 errors:

Assets/Standard Assets/Characters/ThirdPersonCharacter/Scripts/ThirdPersonUserControl.cs(2,14): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `General' does not exist in the namespace `Devdog'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/Standard Assets/Characters/ThirdPersonCharacter/Scripts/ThirdPersonUserControl.cs(10,58): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `IPlayerInputCallbacks' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Sure enough if I open the script and check it out I can see it doesn't recognize Devdog.General. If I type Devdog and a period to see what is available, I only get Internal and InventoryPro. I copied absolutely the entire Devdog folder from the working project so I can't see why this would have an issue, but I really need to get this resolved soon.

[EDIT] I definitely have the General folder and I can see scripts in there with the namespace Devdog.General so this issue is very perplexing. Especially since none of the scripts in General are complaining about having compile errors.

[EDIT 2] Also, I notice in the working project that the Tools menu has both an Inventory Pro menu item as well as Devdog. And the Devdog menu item has Localization Editor, Setup Wizard, and Check for Updates. However, in the non-working project there is no Inventory Pro menu item and the Devdog one has only the Check for Updates item.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  14. jorisshh

jorisshh

The mismatch in file name is just a warning, if the scripts are yours and don't need to match the filename (for whatever reason) you can ignore these messages.

Could you post the full stack trace of the CurrencyUI element and the index out of range error?

It almost seems like serialized data somehow got corrupted :(

15. jorisshh

jorisshh

The file ThirdPersonCharacter is in the Standard Assets folder, right? For some reason Unity doesn't understand when 2 Standard Assets folders are in different locations. You may want to move the Standard Assets folder in Assets/Standard Assets/ to Devdog/InventoryPro/StandardAssets

16. magique

magique

Here's the interesting thing. In the clean project where it works, the only ThirdPersonCharacter is in Devdog\InventoryPro\StandardAssets\Characters. But in the bad project it was in that location and duplicated in StandardAssets\Characters. Since the project that works only had it in the Devdog location I went and deleted it from the regular StandardAssets location. Unfortunately, the demo scene didn't like that and complained about a missing prefab even after restarting.

In any case, the error is not specific to the ThirdPersonCharacter as much as it is complaining flat out that Devdog.General cannot be found and clearly those General scripts are there. I've given up for now and just deleted it. I will try again with next version.

17. wood333

wood333

currency UI warning.JPG

index out of range.JPG

18. jorisshh

jorisshh

19. Alex3333

Alex3333

About updating to ufps . After some tests seems like there are still problems with the weapon. It is NOT entirely clear , but after any action that the weapon ceases to appear the player has in his hands. The weekend will do some tests again. View, too , the problem sort of like. Tests on a standard scene in a new project.

20. jorisshh

jorisshh

The new Quest system update just went live :) Things should work nicely together again

99thmonkey likes this.
  21. magique

magique

Well, I can't even get Inventory Pro to work in my project. It only works in a fresh project. So I'm kind of out of luck at the moment.

22. wood333

wood333

Looks like I have them.

managers.JPG

Despite the error messages, the scene does play.

Is my problem that I need to continue with the tutorial?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  23. jorisshh

jorisshh

The localization database is currently only used in the quest system, for inventory pro you can completely ignore it.

24. wood333

wood333

Understood.

I'm going to assume the warnings I have seen are inconsequential, and I will continue on with the tutorials. But first, one question. What is the recommended order or workflow to use Inv Pro, Quest Sys Pro, and elements of the sci-fi design, together.

Order to import?
    Order to set-up?
    Order to integrate?

What way works best for you?

25. wood333

wood333

When I hit the "i" button to open the inventory window it comes up like this.

Inv Screen 2.JPG

This is probably a noob question, so if you think I should stop asking and work deeper into the tutorials, please, feel free to advise me so.

26. jorisshh

jorisshh

There's not really any 'right' way of doing this, just import the assets one after another and do an update at the end. If you have any issues you can delete the Devdog/General.XML file, and go to Tools > Devdog > Check for updates, which will forcefully update to the latest version.

There is a version pending on the store that fixes a lot of issues, but sadly it didn't get accepted at the same time the Quest system did; So currently there's a breaking change between the 2 (because of the last devdog.general update). Hopefully, it gets accepted soon :(

For the demo scenes, there's a UIWindowAngleChanger component attached to the windows, which gives a fisheye effect. This effect only works in camera space; If you're using screen space you can remove the component and make sure the rotation is at 0,0,0

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    wood333 likes this.
  27. wood333

wood333

The scripts are not mine, and only Inventory Pro is in the project. The name mismatches that are picked up by the setup wizard checker prevent Inventory Pro from creating items. Similarly, the lack of localization database throws an error in the setup wizard checker, so leaving it as "none" may also prevent the creation of items.

I looked closer at one of the yellow name warnings, and it appears to be from the third party integration with Playmaker. I'm not looking forward to examining them individually to see if they are all integration issues, but that may be the case.

My final thought is that in the C# tutorials I have read, it is mandatory to have the class name match, so with my very modest exposure to C# I am surprised that you indicate I can ignore those messages. It seems like a cardinal rule.

28. jorisshh

jorisshh

The issue detector can really only detect and search for issues, it can never intervene any actions. So it can't mess with the creation process of items.

A class name really should always match the file name, but there can be some exceptions, like a script that only contains an enum, or a generic class definition, etc. It's just there to warn the user, just in case they might've missed it, and are wondering why their monobehaviours aren't working.

Are there any errors when trying to create an item?
    Is the path in your settings set? Aka, did you set a save folder for the items?

wood333 likes this.
  29. wood333

wood333

Ah, so, The warnings at the bottom left of the main manager do not prevent item creation. Therefore, if I click on the bottom left of the main manager and scan for errors, I can click "ignore" for each of them so they will no longer distract or worry me. In fact, I can leave the localization database as "none" and click "ignore" so that warning will no longer appear. Then, the bottom left of the main manager will be encouragingly green.

All my other settings are correct, and I briefly created my first item. I will read about item creation, review the tutorial and play around with item creation for a while. I think I am over the hill on the setup, and thank you very much for explaining the exceptions to the naming rule. I want you to know that I very much appreciate you assistance and your assets are exciting to explore. :)

30. jorisshh

jorisshh

Well, yes you could do that :p but keep in mind that errors are there for a reason, warnings can be ignored, assuming you 'know better' than the warning indicates, and simple information messages can, of course, be ignored completely.

If you ignore the localization error now, you may forget about; So be warned :)

Thanks, I know things are a little bumpy since the upgrade, but I'm working hard on resolving these issues to get it all stable and comfy to use again

wood333 likes this.
  31. JBR-games

JBR-games

Just got this and was testing it out.
    Is there a demo for ufps that actually uses all of the inventory pro features? The current implementation seems very limited, and has missing script references. Docs show script i cant find. And video is for legacy . I was expecting something more like the main demo.
    Thanks

32. jorisshh

jorisshh

There isn't really a UFPS demo scene showing of all inventory pro features. Just the integration parts.

There is, however, a complete playlist at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_HIoK0xBTK4mLxXnkY7I-p9fB0kOlW4i which goes over how to set up each sub-component. This setup is the exact same for UFPS as it is for any other 3rd party integration :)

JBR-games likes this.
  33. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

I've tried several inventory assets and so far they've all disappointed when it comes to controller (i.e. joypad) support. We're making a console game, so this is kind of crucial for us :)
    Can you confirm how Inventory Pro manages controller support, including remapping of buttons for e.g. PS4/XBOne controllers? Is there a demo anywhere that we could try? (although the demo on the DevDog page supports controller input for the character, it doesn't appear to allow highlighting/combining/equipping items via controller).

Thanks.

34. jorisshh

jorisshh

Inventory Pro supports the following features through console:

All collections (inventory, banks, etc (anything containing items))
    Looting
    Crafting technically works, but you may want to change the UI to fit controller needs (the default UI is designed for mouse + keyboard usage)
    Dropping, picking up items, moving items around in the inventory, using them, etc.

The inventory features, for example, are set up using the UIElementKeyActions component. This allows you to map an action to a controller key. This comes with an option to do a timed activation, as you may want to do for a use action (hold the button 0.5 seconds to activate the use item command).

To loot items in the world using a controller there's a selector component which is used to select the best trigger in the player's range, which can then be used by pushing the associated controller button. This can be replaced if you'd like to modify the selection behavior. By default it's similar to the witcher 3: Based on distance and how much in-front the object is relative to the player's position and rotation.

All things aside. Inventory Pro supports controllers (no remapping), however it's still built on top of Unity's (not so great *cough) input system. I would HIGHLY recommend you invest in a good input system such as rewired. Inventory Pro is already integrated with rewired and the things described above work with it also.

I haven't tried any other input systems, but I was really impressed by rewired. Absolutely love it :)

Fairly certain there's some controller issues with OpenGL, if you sent me a mail at joris@devdog.io I can make you a controller build (win/mac/linux) to test out if you'd like.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    tanoshimi likes this.
  35. hopeful

hopeful

@jorisshh - I've found that if I made a boo-boo and Inv Pro loses track of the item database, it can put me in an endless loop of trying to find one, where the loop of dialogue boxes prevents me from solving the problem. It would be best if it puts up a warning and not try to force me to pick an item database (when one might not exist).

jorisshh likes this.
  36. ldl01031

ldl01031

I'll second this and add that any time you click the DB (top left on the main editor) it always says that no itemdatabase could be found - even after you've just selected one.

hopeful likes this.
  37. ldl01031

ldl01031

And by the way - sorry if I sounded negative - I know people don't often stop in to say how well a feature is working or how much they appreciate the depth of the product ... I know plenty of those thoughts are out there...

jorisshh and danreid70 like this.
  38. jorisshh

jorisshh

Got it, I agree this is something that's quite annoying. I'll come up with a better solution for V2.5.3; Feel free to weigh in if you have any good ideas how to solve it (I know, how lazy of me :p)

Edit: Here's the issue report: https://bitbucket.org/jjahuijbregts/inventorypro/issues/223/better-select-database-picker-for-main

39. magique

magique

I just downloaded and installed version 2.5.2F2 and I am back to the same error as before:

Assets/Standard Assets/Characters/ThirdPersonCharacter/Scripts/ThirdPersonUserControl.cs(2,14): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `General' does not exist in the namespace `Devdog'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Am I the only one seeing this issue? I'm baffled why the scripts can't see the Devdog.General namespace when all the General script code is there and there are no compile errors for them. I must get this working soon or I'll have to abandon it for another solution. Any ideas or suggestions from anyone?

[EDIT] I finally figured this out. By removing the ThirdPersonUserControl.cs script I got another error that eventually led me to the funciton TriggerBase::CanUse(Player player). It complained that Player didn't have inventoryPlayer. Well, apparently I have my own small Player script, which I failed to wrap in a namespace and it was getting that Player script instead. So, that'll teach me not to use namespaces in my games. Strange thing though is that I get the error again once I re-add ThirdPersonUserControl.cs back into the project. But as long as I remove it and add the namespace to my own Player script I should be good to go. I'll try to see if there is another conflict somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  40. hopeful

hopeful

I've been messing around with updating and importing Inv Pro and Quest Pro and Los Pro, and I've come up with all kinds of difficulties (which eventually resolved), but I have not seen this one. I'm using Unity 5.4.0f3 on Windows 10.

41. jorisshh

jorisshh

Did you already have the standard assets in your project? This can cause issues as Unity tries to merge the files and moves the Inventory Pro demo scripts into the Standard Assets folder (outside of the devdog folder). Because Unity creates a new assembly for this it can cause missing references.

42. magique

magique

Yes, I had standard assets. So, should I just move these Character scripts into Devdog folder somewhere?

43. jorisshh

jorisshh

The default location for the Standard assets used in Inventory Pro is: \Assets\Devdog\InventoryPro\Standard Assets\ if you move the scripts to this folder it should find the files.

I'll look into writing my own controller for the demos, as this is certainly not the first time this happened. Unity keeps trying to merge the controllers, which causes issues like these.

44. magique

magique

I'll give that a try, but I just don't get how this is a problem. A script is a script is a script and it should have no issues resolving this no matter where these scripts are located within Assets.

45. jorisshh

jorisshh

Unity has some special folders (see: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptCompileOrderFolders.html). For example Plugins becomes its own assembly, so does Standard Assets, and a few more. And if the script is written to the wrong location it can end up in the wrong assembly.

46. magique

magique

Wow, I had no idea Standard Assets was a special folder. That makes sense then. I should be done with this issue then once I move the scripts. And I'll give the new Quest System Pro a try as well once I get past this. Happy day.

47. jorisshh

jorisshh

I've broken the reference to the standard assets scripts, so they now have their own unique GUID. This should prevent merging of the standard assets in the future :)

Also, as a solution to the database picker. I've added a create database option which allows you to create a database right away, save it, and set it as the current.

hopeful and magique like this.
  48. magique

magique

I'm not out of the woods yet. I am working on adapting the ControllerSupport demo to the Wii U and when I run on the Wii U I get the following errors in the output.

Initializing InventoryPlayer
    ExecutionEngineException: Attempting to JIT compile method 'System.Linq.OrderedEnumerable`1<int>:GetEnumerator ()' while running with --aot-only.

at Devdog.InventoryPro.FilterGroupsItemGenerator.Generate (Int32 minAmount, Int32 maxAmount, Boolean createInstances) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Devdog.InventoryPro.InventoryItemContainerGenerator.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

ExecutionEngineException: Attempting to JIT compile method 'System.Linq.Enumerable:<Average`1>m__34<UnityEngine.Vector3> (double,single)' while running with --a
    ot-only.

at System.Linq.Enumerable.Average[Single,Double,Single] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`3 func, System.Func`3 result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.Average[Vector3] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 selector) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Devdog.InventoryPro.Demo.UIWindowAngleChanger.SetAngleBasedOnPosition () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Devdog.InventoryPro.Demo.UIWindowAngleChanger.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

ExecutionEngineException: Attempting to JIT compile method 'System.Linq.OrderedEnumerable`1<Devdog.InventoryPro.ItemAmountRow>:GetEnumerator ()' while running w
    ith --aot-only.

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[Devdog.InventoryPro.ItemAmountRow].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable`1 enumerable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[Devdog.InventoryPro.ItemAmountRow]..ctor (IEnumerable`1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray[ItemAmountRow] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Devdog.InventoryPro.ItemCollectionBaseAddCounter.TryAdd (IList`1 itemsToAdd) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Devdog.InventoryPro.InventoryManager.CanAddItems (Devdog.InventoryPro.ItemAmountRow[] items, Boolean rebuildCounter) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Devdog.InventoryPro.InventoryManager.CanAddItem (ItemAmountRow row) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Devdog.InventoryPro.InventoryManager.CanAddItem (Devdog.InventoryPro.InventoryItemBase item) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Devdog.InventoryPro.ItemTrigger.CanUse (Devdog.General.Player player) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Devdog.InventoryPro.ItemTrigger.Use (Devdog.General.Player player) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Devdog.InventoryPro.InventoryPlayer.TryPickup (UnityEngine.GameObject obj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Devdog.InventoryPro.InventoryPlayer.OnTriggerEnter (UnityEngine.Collider col) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

I usually see this sort of thing when an asset doesn't consider the WIIU the same as other aot platforms. The only thing I could find in the code that had to do with platform was in IntegrationHelperEditorBase.cs. I tried adding BuildTargetGroup.WiiU to the BuildTargetGroup, but that didn't change anything.

49. jorisshh

jorisshh

Did you have any of these issues before, or did this error occur after the 2.5 update? What version of Unity are you using?

50. magique

magique

This is the first time I've run on the Wii U since a very long time ago. I don't remember seeing this the last time I ran it on the Wii U, but that was many many versions ago. I am using Unity 5.3.6p2.