Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs: Power up your production with a FREE pack per subscription!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by aliceingameland, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aliceingameland

aliceingameland

Administrator

Wanting to boost your productivity so you can focus your energy on the aspects of your project that inspire you the most? For a limited time only, new Unity Plus and Pro subscribers will receive an Essentials Pack for FREE ($150+ value), which includes the top-rated productivity tools and assets from the Asset Store. Choose from VR, Art & Design, 2D, or Mobile. These assets will help maximize your development time, get you closer to publishing, and save you a few headaches along the way.

To find out more, check out our announcement blog or the Essentials Pack page.

John3D and Hauhau like this.
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Meh. None of those packs include Script Editor 3, which is the only plugin I consider essential to Unity development.

(Yes, that really is a 5.0-star rating with 115 reviews. Honestly, I don't know how people can stand to use Unity without it.)

NeatWolf and Novack like this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think the slightly more feature packed visual studio bundled with Unity might just offset that :p
    As it's basically free for new subbers or pro users, I think it's a pretty amazing deal tbh and I'm usually grumpy and hateful of all things.

4. Onsterion

Onsterion

This monday i buyed Unity Plus and this day appear the accelerator pack? :(

WhiteGfx likes this.
  5. Schneider21

Schneider21

These are nice little incentives for people who are planning on making the jump to a paid version of Unity, but it's really only for those who were just waiting for some kind of good deal before committing, right?

With an average undiscounted value of $166.50 for the listed assets, you're paying that much in 4.75 months for a Plus subscription or 1.3 months of Unity Pro. So, essentially, this deal is kinda the same as "Subscribe now and get [4.75 | 1.3] months free!" except worse because there's a good chance I don't want / don't need / already own / have to invest enough time learning the asset that I'm offsetting my monetary gain with time cost, that I'd rather just have the reduced price on the subscription.

Additionally, there's the confusing message this sends. I'm admittedly a big fan of Unity and am a huge supporter of the Asset Store. But even I recognize the conflicting message your marketing team is sending with "Everything you need to develop great games!" and "Unity Essentials packs (sold separately!)". It's kinda one or the other, right?

Yes, I get that Unity includes the Asset Store, which has "everything you need". But look at these essential packs:
    • Cross-platform Native Plugins- Ultra Pack - Simplify setting management across platforms
    • Fingers Touch Gestures - Quickly create your project’s mobile touch controls
    • Fast Shadow Projector - Enhance the look and performance of your game
    • DoozyUI - Focus on gameplay, not UI code
    • DOTween Pro - Save tons of time on transitions and UI animations
    • 2DDL Pro - Create high-quality lighting & shadows for a 2D environment
    • UBER Standard Shader Ultra - Beautify your scenes with AAA shaders
    • Final IK - Save days of work and headaches
    • Curved UI - Simplify the creation of your VR UI
    Each one of these contains a message stating more or less "This thing is impossible or a real pain in the ass to do in Unity without this asset."

Doesn't that just invite the question "Why is it not included / enhanced / fixed in the engine, then?!"

I dunno... these kind of messages always catch my eye, but then I realize it's like buying something I don't need that's normally $50, on sale for $20. I'm not saving $30, I'm still losing $20. But that could just be me, and maybe these marketing campaigns are really successful.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  6. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

I would be willing to pay a monthly subscription of like $20 a month for Unity if they would just include all the massive features it's missing. Their inclusion of Text Mesh Pro was long overdue, and Pro Tools should also be on that list.

7. Schneider21

Schneider21

To be clear, I love the Asset Store for content that I would never expect the engine to include by default (like models, sprite packs, etc), and for systems that are complex enough and suit a specific need that the benefit of adding them is outweighed by the cost of creating and maintaining them (voxel world creation kits, infinite runner frameworks, etc).

I agree with @The-Britain in that acquiring and integrating Text Mesh Pro was a great and necessary move, and honestly I'd like to see much more of this for real essentials and what's basically agreed to as Unity standards now. Why not acquire and integrate things like PlayMaker, Shader Forge, and Final IK and now be able to boast that your engine natively supports visual scripting, easy-to-craft AAA shaders, and top-of-the-line inverse kinematics?

I'd honestly be really curious to see the results from this campaign. I just can't picture the developer who is in need of a Pro or Plus subscription that looks at these and says "Hey, I wanted to buy all 3-5 of those assets, too! I'm saving a load of dough!" I also can't picture the casual/hobbyist developer (like me) who says "You know, I haven't been able to justify the subscription price previously, but I'm suddenly on board with spending $1500/$420 per year since I get that one-time $166.50 value on those 3-5 assets I definitely wanted."

If it's not about converting unpaid customers to paid ones (and really, it has to be, right?) but instead about rewarding people who have to subscribe now because of their financial success, chances are they already have a collection of assets that work for them or their own suite of tools they've developed. Why not just give them $150 (or less, who cares?) worth of Asset Store credit to spend on whatever they want?

The idea of all this is nice, but it seems like a scheme cracked out by a marketing team who isn't thinking about it from the perspective of real world game developers.

kelheor, tswalk and boxhallowed like this.
  8. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

>this

9. rerwandi

rerwandi

i got my vouchers but all the vouchers code is invalid when i tried to submit :(

ChrisHapi likes this.
  10. aziz90

aziz90

Same thing .... Please solve this.. I've contacted unity support too.

11. khos

khos

I had the same, why is that happening?

12. khos

khos

Some Soft body physics plugins would have been cool to include..

13. garyconstable80

garyconstable80

My vouchers are also Invalid, does any one know what to do ?

14. khos

khos

I have raised a support question/ticket, I suggest this is what you would need to do.

15. garyconstable80

garyconstable80

Yes, I raised a ticket, it said up to 5 days to reply, sounds like they need to hire more staff.

16. aziz90

aziz90

Been waiting for 3 days..... no response

17. khos

khos

Hopefully the Support team are looking into this issue, seems like everyone is affected? I hope Unity are aware of this!

18. rerwandi

rerwandi

I got my response "Unfortunately, there was a technical issue with your Essential Pack vouchers that meant you and some others were unable to redeem them successfully. We have added your email to a whitelist and we are looking to get working vouchers sent out to you as soon as we can."

So i guess we just have to wait then :)

edit :
    got a bunch of new codes, still invalid :/

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  19. garyconstable80

garyconstable80

I just don't get it, I expect the store is built on prestashop or some other e-commerce variant

How hard can it be to login, create a voucher for a specific product and assign it to a specific customer, then email the customer.

Where is the customer service?

20. Spinehair

Spinehair

I never got an email flat out. Still waiting on a response since Saturday.

21. khos

khos

Just so others are aware: I got an email from Support asking if clearing my browser cache/cookies/different machine helps, did not help, replied to advise that result. Waiting to hear back from support.

22. mimminito

mimminito

Vouchers are not working for us either.

23. garyconstable80

garyconstable80

f*** me!

http://prntscr.com/g0hzmx

Ok so I loaded up safari, in a private window, with the cache disabled. I have not clicked the ok to cookies button.

(you might need to enable dev tools)

Whats really annoying is that the people at unity - have not been replying on the forums, they could have told people about the cache 5 days ago!

(I hope my other 3 codes work )

:)

24. aziz90

aziz90

That's what they told me

Unfortunately, there was a technical issue with the Essential Pack vouchers that meant you & others were unable to redeem them successfully. I am sorry for this.

I have now passed your details on to the relevant team who will be sending out working vouchers as soon as possible.

25. rerwandi

rerwandi

Looks like they fixed this already. All codes is now working for me!

26. Onsterion

Onsterion

Working for me!

27. khos

khos

Whohoo, working!

28. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

The Art & Design package has several assets on my wishlist. What a pleasant surprise getting them for free all of the sudden.

Thanks!

29. Nikolasio

Nikolasio

Hi,

I chose the mobile essentials pack. Included is the Fingers - Touch gestures asset, which is a great asset, but
    I already own that.

So if someone would like to exchange vouchers with me, please contact me.

It is possible since the voucher codes can be redeemed from any Unity account.

30. rerwandi

rerwandi

I can tell that the vouchers is linked with your email

31. Nikolasio

Nikolasio

I contacted the unity support team and they advised me the exchange.
    Let me double check with them.

32. rerwandi

rerwandi

I tried to redeem a voucher on another account and it can't be redeemed as the voucher is not for that email.

33. Nikolasio

Nikolasio

I double checked with customer service and it should be possible.

Also for the ones that doubt, it is not forbidden to trade vouchers (confirmed by the unity support team).

34. c17vfx

c17vfx

"Next-Gen Soft-Shadows" for Art & Design pack

35. tswalk

tswalk

yep.. and the stuff that are in the pack are just "NOT" everything you need... when we had Level 11 access with our Pro license, we should have been given these types of asset features on a regular basis.. but instead we got things like Sci-Fi Grenades (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/29609). really?

nearly half of the assets provided through Level 11 have been "deprecated"... meaning, you can no longer get them.

these are gimmicky market tactics IMO that provide no real added value to the actual product

36. khos

khos

VolumeFog3 is amazing! Thanks Unity for this :)

37. ChrisHapi

ChrisHapi

I have had same problem with mobile asset pack. Just raised Customer Services ticket #132488: “Unable to redeem product codes"

38. bradcarvey

bradcarvey

I paid for the pro license (1 year) and selected the artist package. I received my serial number, but nothing related to vouchers. Was this a separate email?
    I tried going to my account in the assets store, but no credits are listed?
    I am waiting for support. Any ideas?

39. bradcarvey

bradcarvey

I found it. The email was in the junk email folder.

40. Nickromancer

Nickromancer

I am very pissed that you guys included Editor Console Pro in the pack and directly discourage people to consider my console extension. I should not have wasted my time...

And why the hell even some basic operations like blend mode(add,multiply,etc) for image is missing from a game engine. These basic stuff should be built-in like many other game engines. Not sold separately by 3rd party on asset store which also will broke from time to time for each unity version updates.

41. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

1. provide evidence Unity directly discouraged people to consider yours.

2. yours just came out while the one Unity included has a proven track record of performance and 5 star reviews before Unity picked it.

Console Pro came out on 4th October 2013.
    Unity did this promotion on 20th July 2017.
    Your asset came out on 11th August 2017.

Therefore you are actually trolling or spamming. Consider this a warning as both are bannable offences on this forum.

Want some cheese with that whine? Really? On the off chance you're not trolling please add feedback to https://feedback.unity3d.com/

42. WoodcockCreative

WoodcockCreative

Funny. I'm still laughing at this.

NeatWolf and hippocoder like this.
  43. Deleted User

Deleted User

I just bought the Plus pack but have not received any emails with vouchers yet?

44. BlamSammich

BlamSammich

Just bought plus, but am not seeing any vouchers..

45. lightbreak

lightbreak

bump. same with the 2 above, just bought a pro package but do not see any email regarding how to claim the packs (and the shirt)

46. rerwandi

rerwandi

look at around your organization dashboard

47. Grafos

Grafos

I got the 2d essential packs, but I already have Corgi Engine. If someone would like to trade it for their Mesh Baker voucher, please pm me. Happy to consider other offers too :)

*Update: Voucher Traded

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  48. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Hi everyone, I'm reaching out to our teams internally to see if there is a reason for delayed vouchers. Until then I would suggest you file a ticket with support or open a chat line with them, they will be able to help get this settled. Support link

49. vTimeJulian

vTimeJulian

I got my Unity Pro license back in October, how do I get a voucher for the VR Essentials pack?

Cheers.

50. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

If you purchased your Pro License during one of the Essentials Packs promotions, your voucher code should be in the purchase email. If you're not seeing it please reach out to our support team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.