Search Unity

Interactive map

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by BenStrickland, May 30, 2017.

1. BenStrickland

BenStrickland

Morning All,

I work for a construction company that designs and constructs buildings for some high profile companies.

We do 3D drawings of our structures and take screenshots of them and send them to our clients. Currently we do nothing else with the drawings once that has been done.

I would like to turn these 3D drawings into interactive maps which users can walk around our structures, click on parts of our structure and get some further information. I would like this to be done on our website where the users don't have to download any software to their computer or log in. Is this something that can be done with relative ease, i have little to no skills on Unity however can learn this from tutorials.

Please can someone tell me if this can either be done and just a quick way to start this.

Regards,
    Ben Strickland

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It certainly can be done, but I don't see a quick way to start it — it's a fairly advanced project.

But I suppose you could at least get up and running by converting your drawings to some format Unity can import, such as FBX or OBJ, and then dragging them into a Unity project. Then you can start playing around with camera movements and such, using skills you'll learn in the tutorials.

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

A good start is to skim over Unity's Architecture, Engineering, & Construction (AEC) page. They've partnered with VIMaec for tools specific to architectural visualization.

Through today, Udemy's course on Building An Architectural Walkthrough Using Unity is 88% off, only $10 USD.

If you prefer print, Stephan Boeykens has a book Unity for Architectural Visualization.

Getting started in this isn't particularly difficult compared to other applications such as, say, massively multiplayer games (MMOs), but it'll be worthwhile to take a little time to get a grounding in the subject first by checking out the resources above or something similar.

JoeStrout likes this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I've taken a course (not related to Arch Vis) Stephan Boeykens hosted on Udemy and can confirm he is a good teacher. Additionally he is open to feedback and responds to questions without hesitation.

TonyLi and Teila like this.
  5. Teila

Teila

I LOVE Udemy and if you get the classes on sale, they are very cheap...and excellent. My son learned to code in C# through a Udemy class and he impressed his professor when he took C# in college. :)

Excellent idea!

6. samnarain

samnarain

No. You will be needing intermediate skill with Unity to reach those objectives. It won't take you forever though.