Search Unity

InMobi Ads with Tizen Unity

Discussion in 'Tizen' started by MD_Reptile, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Symyon

Symyon

@OnurYIL , @MD_Reptile did you guys managed to implement the ads?

I was wondering about your ECPM numbers.

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I have not. I have basically given up a while, to wait for the ad sdk to get past some growing pains, and for the samsung remote test lab to allow US (or elsewhere) developers to use the india test machines, because without them, implementing these ads is basically shooting in the dark.

Not to mention the troubles of actually implementing the ads, it has been pretty tricky for me, and I've been trying since before they were even publicly released. Not to say its impossible, just that in the versions I've tried it with so far, it seems to be really difficult both to get it not to have errors or issues installing to the devices, as well as to actually display ads (which I've never accomplished).

So.... that makes my ECPM umm.... $0.00? :p

EDIT: Which is a bummer - I have had almost twice as many downloads on Tizen as on iOS in the last 90 days... which shows how bad the users of Tizen devices want new apps... it would be totally a viable market for me, if only the ads worked for me!

I tried the RTL devices in India again just now - still getting an error "Connection cannot be established" on two different Z3's, and on a Z2.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  3. Symyon

Symyon

I didn't get to see a real ad either. But I did see the test ads and just released the game like that.
    Now I see that the "RENDERED IMPRESSIONS" number grows, so I suppose it is working.
    My ECPM is not that bigger then yours tough :)
    I know the small banners ads are a very low income type of ad, but that low... it was unexpected. Maybe it will grow up?

4. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Where are you located @Symyon because I couldn't even get test ads to show up on RTL devices. Maybe you could test if your ads show up on a RTL device, just to confirm that we SHOULD be able to see ads on a RTL device? That would be a big help if you have a moment.

5. Symyon

Symyon

I'm in Canada.
    Test ads showed on my Tizen phone and on a RTL device (can't remember which server it was, but surely not India).
    I tried both with the Unity test project they supply us and the Web App project.

That said, I tried Today and Yesterday and test ads are once again not showing on my Z2. Neither in my apps, nor in the test projects (Unity & Wep app)

Also I tried to download my game from the Tizen Store on a RTL device and I have no ads showing. The RTL device that I connected to was in USA, Korea, Poland.... but not India (can't connect).

So it's a hit and miss.

P.S. Just went to my InMobi dashboard and I can see that the ads were served 84-100% India (can't tell which is the other country/countries for the rest of the %).
    0% for Poland, USA, Indonesia, Canada, South Korea. So we need a RTL from India to see something.

MD_Reptile likes this.
  6. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Thanks for the info, interesting that you are seeing fill and it seems to be working in India, which is definitely good news.

7. OnurYIL

OnurYIL

@Symyon same as the MD_Reptile, I'm stilll waiting for RTL India devices to actually work or some test ID's outside of India.

Though I'm surprised, because Tizen and Samsung support both replied to my information about the RTL India devices not working, they said the issue was fixed. After that, you could just open the India devices, nothing more. Now you can't even connect to them, just as before.

I seriously don't get it. India should be the #1 priority server for RTL devices to work for various different reasons, yet it's not working for months.

Btw, try to implement interstitials on your app/game between levels. To this day, I have never seen any ad work better than the interstitials.

8. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Your right, it seems like they are cutting themselves off from lots of potential new developers/publishers using the platform, simply because they lack the required tools to test... Hopefully samsung and inmobi get it all working and it helps the platform grow.

9. Symyon

Symyon

@OnurYIL as I understood, we are unable to use interstitials on Tizen for now. When they are activating the key, that is for small banners and in order to add interstitial you have to generate another key. And then in code you can't use 2 keys. So you stuck with banners :( I will try some hacks, but I am already wasted so much time, I don't know...

@MD_Reptile , I got it to show real ads. It involves some hula-hoops, but still. I made my laptop to connect to a public VPN from India, and then shared the internet through WiFi to an Android device, and then from that I shared the internet trough bluetooth to my Tizen device :D I know, but for some reason the Z2 didn't doesn't see the WiFi after I installed VPN client.

So, I see banners, everything works.

One thing though, as I was looking my fill rates and reading about slow indian internet I think it is better to set the refresh rate of the banners a little more than default 30 seconds. Maybe 45. Thing is that on my Frankenstein connection, the banners are loading very very slow. I see white squares and then half of it starts to show some text, and then I see the full banner etc....

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. Symyon

Symyon

@OnurYIL , @MD_Reptile I tried the interstitials and they work with the same key, even if in the dashboard it says it is for banners.
    By the way if I am not mistaken Unity 5.5 games can run in emulator? In this case you can VPN and run in Emulator to test the ads. I'm stuck on 5.4.4 so can't test that. But if it works you need no RTL.

I have another problem though, interstials are only portrait and my game is landscape, does anybody know any solution for that?

By the way, InMobi updated the ads SDK. It looks like just the Unity part, with release notes:
    "Unity apps in portrait mode are not able to use Interstitial Ads due to a platform issue which is fixed in adlib."
    Strange, that I had no problems with portrait, landscape is what is missing.

MD_Reptile likes this.
  11. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I tried the emulator once when I first switched over to 5.5, but had troubles and gave up to test more on rtl. I'll have to revisit that on the latest version and see what I can figure out.

12. Symyon

Symyon

13. pl_ayground

pl_ayground

Hi Tizen Devs :)

how is your experience with InMobi ads on Tizen? Is it worth the effort? I did my apps ads-free for the Tizen Top 100 Incentive but now I wonder if there is a way to monetize them with ads. Is the service stable? How are the CPMs?

Also - any alternatives to InMobi or they are still the only player on Tizen?

14. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

As far as I can tell no other companies support Tizen yet. My experience with InMobi has been rough, but who knows, its been a few months since I tinkered with it, perhaps they have updated/changed things for the better.

My biggest issue so far has been that I can't successfully test the ads, not in an emulator, not on the samsung remote test lab, not anywhere :/

pl_ayground likes this.
  15. Symyon

Symyon

@pl_ayground , IMHO it is not worth it. I have ads displaying in my games for about 4 months now. I have about 5 games with ads if I am not mistaken (I stopped implementing ads in all the other of my games as it is not worth my time), and in these 4 months I got about 1$. Total. Not in my pocket. On InMobi account. ECPM = 0.01$
    Bank transfers are done when you get more than $300. Basically never for me :D. You can use Paypal though for any other amounts. Should I use Paypal to transfer $1? :D
    That's for about 20-25k downloads. Didn't really looked for session counts. But whatever it is, there is no way I can increase that 1000%, which wiill be barely worth it.
    The implementation takes very little time when you have your setup, but you have a high chance of your app to get returned, so I am not going to play with that.

Regarding other services, there is none other than InMobi as far as I know (I am still waiting). And be careful, you sign an exclusive agreement with them for a year. So, as far as I understood, you will not be able to use any other services in a game you already published with InMobi.