Search Unity

[InfinityPBR] Dragons Pack PBR - Customization | Concept Art | Sound FX | Music (25% off!)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by infinitypbr, Sep 4, 2015.

1. sowatnow

sowatnow

Looking forward to the release then. I hope it's few more weeks, not months :).

what's the main problem with mounting/dismounting?. Have you looked at the horse animset on assetstore, it seems to be working well.

2. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

In a nut shell, and i'm simplifying it probably, with the root motion when we switched from ground to riding, there was no clean way to switch the root to center the human -- it'd always try to go up/down with the blend, even if it was the shortest blend possible.

Further, the way the dragon is moving, the rider always looked off balance, and to sync the two animations in code would be tedious and probably not very fun.

We asked the Unity ppl at GDC and the top-level guys all said "yeah, that's a big problem, no easy solution". They had some ideas, but none seemed to work well.

So this is looking like it works. The annoyance would be that in game you'll have to manage two copies of the human character -- outfits, weapons etc -- one for walking around and the "dragon" one. And when you walk up to the dragon, the script will have to hide one and activate the other. No big deal -- just like switching weapons really.

I'll of course be including some demo scene to show at least one way of implementing all this.

3. sowatnow

sowatnow

Wouldn't it be same as a rider mounting a horse?. There is some mismatch in how player position itself when mounting, but still its works well. To make it realistic, then i guess that's where the problem is.
    Ya it won't be fun sync animations in code, even with IK sometime it can get messy.

4. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I think I may have been doing it wrong, but no one at unity had any ideas, so who knows. It just was never close to working right -- just couldn't figure it out.

It could absolutely be one of those moments when the solution is simple and well know and I just missed it, but idk. :)

5. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Until May 22nd....

Get the Human Base + Barbarian Pack for $49 (33% off) if you've already bought the Dragon Pack PBR! The Dragon Rider animations are just about done, and you'll need the Human Base + Barbarian Pack to work with them. So until May 22nd (and really, May 21st, since time zones vary), you can "upgrade" for just $49!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  6. sowatnow

sowatnow

Good news, but what do you mean by "You need Human Base + Barbarian Pack to work with them"?. Does that mean it can't be retartgetted to another humanoid model?.

7. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'm not entirely sure, and hoping someone who gets it can figure that out. Originally the animations were separate, but we had a lot of issues getting them to play nicely with each other. The human works with other humanoid animations, but I've not tested the other way around -- but it's a human rig with extra bones for the clothes so it should work.

This new rig is both the human and dragon together. The pro is that the two characters work seamlessly together, the con is that they're stuck together. In the demo scene I'm building the "walking around human" gets turned off and the "dragon rider human" turned on at the mount animation.

There will be the separated human only animations, though, so users can play with it as they'd like. I have a feeling it will work with other humans using the human only dragon rider animations, but I can't guarantee how seamless it'll be, since I wasn't able to get it to where I liked it myself.

8. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Coming Very Soon...

TeagansDad likes this.
  9. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

10. sowatnow

sowatnow

Ok sounds good. I will play around with it and see how well it works.

So the dragon update with rider animation is coming on 22 of May?. Is it possible to get it before that?

Cheers

11. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Yep -- if you've registered the package at www.InfintyPBR.com there'll be downloads available. If you opt-in to the "Update" emails, you'll get an email w/ all the info as soon as it's ready. Perhaps tonight, if not then tomorrow.

12. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Actually -- the update is already there. The update is under the Dragon downloads and the Demo scene is under the Human downloads. I just need to put a page up for it and get a PDF up. You may need to re-apply the textures in the demo scene, but otherwise it should work. Make sure you've got both the human and the dragon packages installed before using the demo scene.

The solo-human animations aren't yet ready, though.

13. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

14. sowatnow

sowatnow

I downloaded the update, seems like they rider and dragon acts as one as you said. I will wait for the solo animations.
    When would the solo-human animations be ready?

Cheers

15. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Probably not long at all

16. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

While making a new video for a tool that'll be first released with the next Dragons Pack PBR update (which should happen in a couple days), I created a new texture set. The tool makes it even easier to create complete texture sets without having to modify every material individually.

I put the dragon into the Dungeon+ Pack PBR and I really liked the result. What do you think?

I'm not sure which one I want to make as the main asset store photo, if any. Maybe it's too stylish for that?

Adrad likes this.
  17. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

infinitypbr likes this.
  18. montyfi

montyfi

@sfbaystudios description says I need your human base pack for rider animation to work. Does it mean those animations are not mecanim and cannot be re-targeted?

19. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

They are, but they're attached to the bone structure of the dragon, so I'm not 100% how they'll work. You'd have to somehow attach the other human to the dragon. Using my "equip dragon rider" script may actually work, since that does all the attaching for my human to the dragon rig, but I haven't tested it yet.

montyfi likes this.
  20. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

21. NMcCoy

NMcCoy

I've been having trouble getting the "match body texture settings" scripts to work; I check the box to enable them, but they don't seem to do anything when I alter the body texture. Is there a step I'm missing?

22. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

It should work -- I've noticed in 5.3.4 sometimes things don't update if I change them too fast. Usually I'll then change it by adding "1" to its value, forcing it to be re-computed. Could that be what's happening?

Two days ago I submitted an update to the store which features a brand new tool called "match this to that", which will allow you to choose what gets matched to what, and update everything with one click. I'll upload it to www.infinitypbr.com in a minute so you can download it and start using that. The graph itself is better, and faster, and the new tool is much more convenient and versatile.

I'll post when it's up on the site.

23. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

If you go to http://www.InfinityPBR.com and register w/ the invoice number, you'll see a download section when the page reloads. Get the "CopyThisToThatDragonUpdate.unitypackage" one -- it's actually still uploading, but I've got to head out. It's 91% done, should be done in a few minutes :)

Here's a video detailing the use of the new "SFB_Dragon_TextureCreation" scene.

24. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hey Everyone!

Check this out -- this editor script didn't make it into the update, but you can download it at www.InfinityPBR.com (log in, link will be at the top).

This "Mass Exporter" script will automatically export as many procedural materials as you'd like, all at once, deleting unused maps and assigning the textures to new, properly named standard shader materials. THIS IS A HUGE TIME SAVER.

25. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Dragons Pack PBR has been updated!
    (Part of PBR RPG Character Pack #1)
    1. "Copy This To That", an editor script ready to be used in a new "Texture Creation" scene, allows you to copy the settings from any one section to the other sections on the same or other materials. Rather than updating the changes to each section by hand, you can now update a single section, and copy that to all the others with one click.

2. "Mass Exporter" script, along with a Single Exporter script, make it easy to export the customized materials directly into Standard Shader Materials, 100% game ready, with a single click. Advanced features include the ability to share un-changed texture maps from one material to another, so materials that only change the color, will only use a single new map, rather than 4!

* This is actually a pretty important update. I suggest you check it out, as it'll save a TON of time over the previous version.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  26. Wudio

Wudio

Hi, I just downloaded the latest update. All works well and I can run it in UnityEditor. However when I try to build the project for iOS, I get the following exception:

Assets/SFBayStudios/SFB Demo Scripts/SFB_CopyThisToThat.js(444,41): BCE0018: The name 'SubstanceImporter' does not denote a valid type ('not found').
    Assets/SFBayStudios/SFB Demo Scripts/SFB_massExporter.js(6,35): BCE0018: The name 'SubstanceArchive' does not denote a valid type ('not found').

Any idea what might be the cause and how to work around this?

27. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I *just* found this myself like 30 minutes ago.

You'll have to move the two scripts mentioned into the "Editor" folder (either your root one or the Assets/SFBayStudios/Editor one).

When you want to use either of those features, you'll have to move them back. Ultimately I think best practice would be to have a separate project for texture creation, and import only the Models/Prefabs and your Exported Textures into your game project. It'll lower on clutter and keep unity from accidentally re-computing the .sbsar files. (It doesn't do that as much as it used to...but still does from time to time).

I'm guessing there's a way I could do the script to exclude those lines on the non-editor versions, so maybe in a future update that'll be fixed.

28. Wudio

Wudio

Thank you for the quick response. Putting the scripts into Editor folder did the trick for now.

29. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Yep, fortunately in most cases once you're done creating textures you won't be using those anymore!

30. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Just a wee thought mate I watched the first video and near killed my ears, I set the volume to your voice a so I could hear you and the music came up a blow my head apart, I audio volume need to be balanced out there are time when the audio volume hurts,. could well be because I use a hearing device that acts a bit like head phones and it pumping audio straight into the ears, people with hearing aids and such devices might have issues.

this one

infinitypbr likes this.
  31. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Thanks, and sorry about that! Looks like I forgot to click the "Ducking" button to make the music fade out when the voice came up!

32. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

No worries mate

33. Roland09

Roland09

These dragons look fantastic. I'd like to toy around with them, but I have a few questions first:

* How do they perform in VR? I only want to create a quick prototype to see how dragon riding is with the HTC Vive. But it should keep a stable 90fps.
    * Is there a C# version or do you have to mess around with javascript?
    * Can you export a model and modify it eg in mudbox and reimport it so that you still can use the animations that you provide? There are various dragon models, but all in all they look the same. Hence my question about model modification.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  34. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

* How do they perform in VR? I only want to create a quick prototype to see how dragon riding is with the HTC Vive. But it should keep a stable 90fps.

I'm on a mac, so VR just doesn't work anymore. However, a year ago I was working on a VR Dragon Riding game and these were meant for it. Beyond that I have no first hand experience, since the other developer I was working with decided he didn't want to work on it anymore.

I will say, idk if they're reading and want to chime in, there is another dragon riding type vr game in production that is using these dragons, and they've not had any issues.

* Is there a C# version or do you have to mess around with javascript?

The scripts are simple -- the editor scripts you probably don't need to mess with at all anyways, since they're not meant to be in game and I don't know if you'd really need to modify them for anything. Those are for the exporting of the textures and all that.

The in game scripts are just simple things like projectile movement and all that, nothing fancy, and usually things I'd think most people would want to replace with their own way of doing it anyway.

* Can you export a model and modify it eg in mudbox and reimport it so that you still can use the animations that you provide? There are various dragon models, but all in all they look the same. Hence my question about model modification

There are the three heads and two tails and one body. The textures are all 100% customizable. I'm having all the models upgraded with Blend Shapes for mesh morphing. How much of a change you can make is yet to be determined, but we're going for as much changing as possible.

Since the Dragon is much more important (as it's the #1 model in my library), I"m actually keeping it until after the rest are updated, so that the animator who is doing the updating gets as much practice as possible. I want to make sure that the Dragon (& the human rider) have the best possible outcome for the Blend Shapes.

But I'm not sure about the importing into other apps and bringing it back out -- you'll have the .fbx file, but I don't actually know too much about modeling and animating myself, so I can't answer the question more than that. Maybe someone else reading can?

Heres a video I just posted today with the Blend Shapes for the Mushroom Monster Pack PBR -- the video should start at the appropriate time (2:55)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  35. coverpage

coverpage

Hi, I am so interested in buying this on sale. I already have dragon models, but none with the possibility of a rider.

But I use a lot of recorded dialogue, can these barbarian models be used with Lipsync pro?

infinitypbr likes this.
  36. sowatnow

sowatnow

Hi there,

Its been a while, just wanted to know will u ever release dragon rider animations for mecanim which can work with other humanoid aswell?

Cheers

infinitypbr likes this.
  37. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

See facefx answer in the other thread :)

38. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Let me get back to you on this...

39. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'm looking to see about getting an export of the "Dragon Rider" part only, without the dragon included. I'm not entirely sure how it'll work, but as a humanoid animation file it should be re-targetable.

40. sowatnow

sowatnow

Ok sounds good. Will wait for it. Thanks

41. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

If you log in at http://www.InfinityPBR.com (and have registered the Dragons Package), you'll find the new download "HumanOnlyDragonRider.unitypackage"

** I DO NOT KNOW HOW WELL THIS WILL WORK! **

In fact, I'm not sure it'll really work well enough at all. but I'd love to get your feedback and find out how you work with it. My "Robot Kyle" test didn't look so hot, but it was a 1 minute test.

42. mons00n

mons00n

Hi @sfbaystudios , I just updated to the latest package and cannot get CopyThisToThat to function. I simply:
    1. opened the "SFB_Dragon_TextureCreation.unity" scene
    2. checked "Enable Texture Modification" then modified the SFBv1_DragonBody_v1.sbar
    3. selected "Copy This To That (Body -> Most)"
    4. clicked "Copy All Actions"
    It takes a minute, spits out a bunch of debug messages (like "Copying DragonBody Main to DragonCarapace Main"), and then changes nothing. I'm running Unity 5.4.0f3 on OSX 10.11.5 in a brand new project and a fresh download of the package. Any ideas?

infinitypbr likes this.
  43. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

If you log in to www.InfintiyPBR.com and register the package, there's an update that fixed the copy this to that issue. There's also a note regarding the 5.4.x bug that exists for all .sbsar exports (not just my stuff), with the suggestion to use 5.3.4 or 5.3.5 for now, until there's a 5.4.x version that works. (The current ones won't ever work.) The update in the Asset Store needs to wait for approval, so downloading it from my site is the best bet.

** This only affects Texture Creation. The models and animations and all that of course work in every version.

44. mons00n

mons00n

Ah gotcha, I'll get my package registered and try the update.

Is the bug preventing the export of sbsar exports all together? We have to work in 5.4 for our project due to to some of the unet improvements. I guess I could install 5.3.x in another directory...but I really hate dealing with multiple versions of Unity =)

45. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

It adds " (Clone)" to the end of the file names -- but keeps doing it so one file will end up with many of the same after it. Happens to all exports of .sbsar maps regardless of the method it seems.

The maps will of course work in any version. Unity is saying that the 5.4 is stable and all that, but that claim doesn't seem to include things like this, unfortunately.

46. mons00n

mons00n

Hrm yeap, seems to add (Clone) and then immediately delete it. However, the actual file deletion stems from lines 140-141 of SFB_maxxExporter.js; if I comment those lines out I can at least extract the texture and build my own material (the resulting mat is still linked to the sbsar files).

I tried adding something along the lines of materialTexture.name = materialTexture.name.Replace("(Clone)", ""); before the if statement, but it resulted in some null reference exceptions likely because I didn't rename the file itself - and for whatever reason monodevelop is not giving me autocomplete for javascript so I'm kind of stuck not knowing the syntax. Would a solution like this work? Basically rename the resulting textures by removing all instances of " (Clone)" from the file name before building the material?

infinitypbr likes this.
  47. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

If you click the "gear" icon in the top right of the inspector while viewing the .sbsar file you can export them that way too, without changing the script. That's the standard way -- the script just automates it, and also creates materials, populates the maps and all that.

If I remember correctly when I first tried to fix the script, I can change the name but not until after I have to have the name be correct. Something like that. I spent a day on it, and came up empty, and was told that the Allegorithmic team was having the same issue, and they were working on the fix for the Unity build, but it would take a while.

48. mons00n

mons00n

No worries then! I'm not in full production mode so it's not too much of a pain (yet). Hopefully Unity will get these things sorted out in the next few builds. I'm still waiting on them to fix the black screen game-view regression on osx and some other platforms.

49. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

That sounds annoying!

This is actually the 2nd issue they had with the .sbsar files -- 5.2.0-3 were also fatally broken. That version would actually crash Unity, though. It's great that they update versions, but the downside is that these sub-versions won't ever work. I'm looking for a way to easily tell people "don't use this version", and I'm thinking maybe an editor script that sends an alert up if the project is being used in those versions may do the trick... but no one likes too many alert windows. So idk!

50. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Wow I think I just experienced this bug! What timing huh?? This is not in one of my packs, it's in an RPG i'm prototyping.

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 8.52.35 PM.png