1. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're looking for feedback on Unity Starter Kits! Let us know what you’d like.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We’re giving 2017.1 beta testers a chance to win t-shirts and a Nintendo Switch. Read more on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We want to know how you learned Unity! Help us by taking this quick survey and have a chance at a $25 gift card
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Are you an artist or level designer going to Unite Europe? Join our roundtables there to discuss artist features.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Unity 5.6 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets [Infinity Series] Works-In-Progress Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by sfbaystudios, Jun 2, 2016.

1. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@sfbaystudios - He might also be referring to the cloth simulation available in the UMA 2.6 version on GitHub. It's still a work in progress, but eventually you should be able to add cloth sim to any UMA costumes.

Or he might just mean mixing and matching different pieces of clothing. :)

2. lorddanger

lorddanger

Then I have to wait for the blend space
    And cloth customization I mean like changing it on run time as you get the time in drop or something and equip it

sfbaystudios likes this.
  3. sfbaystudios

sfbaystudios

Well, a .sbsar file could be created for custom color changes. Or you could have a few texture sets pre-exported, and code that.

4. sfbaystudios

sfbaystudios

Hey all! CAN I GET YOUR HELP?? <-- Yes, I yelled that.

Here's the package: SFB_ExportSubstancesBeta.unitypackage

Below is the youtube video demoing the package.

However, between last night and just now, I wanted to add a "Convert to PNG" option. But I'm getting stuck, and I can't work on it until tomorrow night. For some reason, I'm getting an error: "Texture2D::EncodeTo functions do not support compressed texture formats."

Yet, I thought .tga isn't a compressed format.

Anyone want to take a stab at figuring it out??

* Everything should work fine aside from the convert to PNG option, however.

5. sfbaystudios

sfbaystudios

http://www.infinitypbr.com/files/SFB_ExportSubstancesBeta2.unitypackageHmm.......Still stuck.

EDIT: Ok, I'm getting .png files exported, but the colors are all messed up.

Heres an updated script: SFB_ExportSubstancesBeta2.unitypackage

Below is the code. I'm not sure if it's the "TextureFormat" that's ruining things...any ideas?

Code (CSharp):
    2. static void ConvertToPNG(string filepath){
    3.         AssetDatabase.ImportAsset (filepath);
    4.         Texture originalTexture = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath (filepath, typeof(Texture)) as Texture;
    6.         Texture2D tex = new Texture2D(originalTexture.width, originalTexture.height, TextureFormat.RGBA32, false);
    7.         byte[] fileData = File.ReadAllBytes(filepath);
    8.         tex.LoadRawTextureData(fileData);
    11.         string newFilePath = filepath.Replace (".tga", ".png");
    13.         byte[] bytes = tex.EncodeToPNG ();
    14.         Debug.Log ("Length: " + fileData.Length + " / " + bytes.Length);
    15.         File.WriteAllBytes (newFilePath, bytes);
    16.         AssetDatabase.DeleteAsset(filepath);

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Thoronnim_Crystalia likes this.
  6. sfbaystudios

sfbaystudios

Damn this is taking way too long. I got the .png files exporting. But now I can't seem to get the .png normal map to be set to normal map mode.

Time to take another break. I've probably spent like 6 hours or more on *just* the PNG export feature. To make up that kind of time, I better export a TON of maps!

7. sfbaystudios

sfbaystudios

Well *thats* working now.

Although now -- Iv'e added 115 .sbsar files to the list because that's how many the dungeon pack currently has. (Don't worry, you don't have to use them all...many of the pieces look great with just a normal "Wall" Texture).

But, the option to set all of them to "Generate All Outputs" is using up all my ram. Clearly I need some sort of break in there. I guess.

EDIT: Turns out the .sbsar files are "active" when in this system...and Unity keeps them in memory. Even turning their cache down to "none", unity brings it back up a bit, and after a few too many, CRASH.

I'm working on figuring out how to get around this.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  8. sfbaystudios

sfbaystudios

I've been working on a thing I call the "Master Class System". The intent was to make it easier to set up all the data structures for a large RPG. (it also works with smaller games, and of course doesn't have to be an RPG). As I was making it, I realized I loved the creation/organization aspects, but I didn't like that I couldn't use normal Class.Dot.Notation.Structures in my code.

So....

The system now builds all the Class scripts for you :) So you can create your class structure, link everything, populate values, all that in the system which (I think) makes it far easier and more intuitive, and then press a button and wait about 15 seconds and BOOM...all the class scripts are created and you can start building your game.

Want to add more, or change values or relink things? Use the Master Class System to edit and then click the Export button again, and you'll be all set.

What do you think?

sentar likes this.
  9. Zyxil

Zyxil

This is cool and all, but each dev who is making an RPG is probably rolling their own system. I don't see this being as flexible as necessary for people to tweak the system for their different rules and mechanisms.

Quite honestly, I'm waiting for the character kit with the models and clothing for different character classes. That and more monsters. :) Your system is much better than UMA.

sfbaystudios likes this.
  10. sfbaystudios

sfbaystudios

Me too!! :) unfortunately, finding quality artists to work with is not easy.

When you say "rolling their own system"( what do you mean? When I started working on the master class system, a lot of ppl said "why are you redoing the class system?", when really I just wanted to make it easier to write the files. but I do want to undertand what others do, and see if I can make my system better.

11. Zyxil

Zyxil

Maybe I'm just projecting. I'm building my own system and so this work is not necessary for me. I perfectly understand that you can work on more than one thing at a time! :)

I haven't checked, but have you looked at Unity Connect or other contact boards for artists, ODesk or similar may have contract artists?

12. sfbaystudios

sfbaystudios

I posted a call-for-help thread here: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/s...-uses-tons-of-ram-and-wont-clear-help.475698/

In it is the current status of my new substance exporter script. It works. You should use it. But if you add a lot of files, it'll crash. For some reason the RAM usage goes up, but never goes down even though I'm begging it to multiple times in the script.

Anyone smarter than me (and that's a lot of you) want to help out? It'll be a free asset store download and will come in all my packs as well, replacing the current "Mass Exporter".

13. sentar

sentar

Hi sfbaystudios,

I'm a new game maker, and I really enjoy your assets especially the RPG Character Pack #1. I really enjoy the level of detail for the characters, armor, and dragons! It works well with the inventory system I have in place, and I am wondering if the barbarian wardrobe, and knight add-on is coming in the near future? If its possible, I'm hoping to be able to integrate these two assets in my project before December (for more choices for character customization). *Fingers crossed* :)

sfbaystudios likes this.
  14. sfbaystudios

sfbaystudios

Thanks!

The current plan is to get the other bodies finished -- Half-Orc, Dwarf & Elf -- each with their own unique wardrobe. The Dwarf bodies are the only ones not done, but none of the wardrobe is done yet.

Once that's done, I'd be able to make wardrobe packs -- like "Knight" armor etc -- that works on all 8 bodies.

However, the modeler I've worked with for the past few years has stopped replying to me, so I've been trying to find a new modeler for the wardrobe. It's not easy, unfortunately, to find a quality person for the gig. Hopefully that'll be fixed soon -- it's really annoying having the bodies ready but no wardrobe.

15. sentar

sentar

I understand modeling/human like details is probably 75% of a game, and the level of detail to even make that stuff is mind boggling. I tried learning zbrush and it is quite difficult to have an artists "edge". I hope to be able to use your upcoming assets in the future! Best luck and wishes.

sfbaystudios and JBR-games like this.