Search Unity

[Infinity Series] Medieval Weapons & Armor PBR Packs - Mesh Morphing, Customizable + Concept Art

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by infinitypbr, Aug 25, 2015.

1. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I concur. Also They're usually never animated, and since I really enjoy some level of realism, I wanted to make sure they'd be animated to work at least with my own model (for my games if nothing else!!)

2. montyfi

montyfi

Just looking on your prefab Axe3, without any changes. In 5.2.1 dragons had silver look, in 5.2.2 they are black, the same as blade. Even in preview window.

3. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Ill have to download that version and check it out.

Anyone else seeing similar results?

4. montyfi

montyfi

In 5.2.2p1 colors went to norm. But I still cannot export textures. Now it does not hangs but gives this error:

AmbiguousMatchException: Ambiguous matching in method resolution
    System.Reflection.Binder.FindMostDerivedMatch (System.Reflection.MethodBase[] match) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/Binder.cs:106)
    System.MonoType.GetMethodImpl (System.String name, BindingFlags bindingAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, CallingConventions callConvention, System.Type[] types, System.Reflection.ParameterModifier[] modifiers) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/MonoType.cs:245)
    System.Type.GetMethod (System.String name, BindingFlags bindingAttr) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Type.cs:787)
    SFB_Exporter.SFB_Export (UnityEditor.SubstanceImporter substanceImporter, UnityEngine.ProceduralMaterial[] substanceMaterials, System.String basePath, UnityEditor.SubstanceArchive substance, System.String code) (at Assets/SFBayStudios/Editor/SFB_Exporter.js:16)
    SFB_SaveTexture.SaveTexture () (at Assets/SFBayStudios/Editor/SFB_SaveTexture.js:23)

5. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Yeah, so it looks like they fixed the bug that was in 5.2, but in the process changed the behind the scenes stuff. It's not documented, so it's taking me a bit to figure out what changed.

For now:

* Select the procedural material.
    * In the top-right corner of the inspector, click on the "gear" icon (2nd one down if you have the top-level material selected)
    * Choose "Export all bitmaps" (I'm not sure of the difference between the two options -- that's new, but both seem to do the same thing for me so far)
    * Once exported create a new Standard Shader materials and populate the fields.

The script basically does all that for you, so it's a bit easier, but the result is the same. I should have an updated script soon I hope.

6. justtime

justtime

Hi there! When we can expect new weapons ? =)

7. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hopefully not much longer. The next batch will include bows which are rigged to animate with our upcoming human model. So that's delaying it, basically.

An update was submitted this weekend that includes a fix for the export issues described above, but no changes otherwise than scripts

justtime likes this.
  8. sowatnow

sowatnow

Hi again,

I have been trying to download the updated pack for the past two days, but it just stops somewhere in the middle.
    Not sure if you can fix this.

9. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'm not sure -- that's all unity, so idk what could be happening :/

10. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

OK, I lied before I guess! I had three new things come in from the modelers, coupled with a 4th that was ready to go, so I'm preparing an update as we speak. Images will follow, but there will be 2 new Shields and 2 new Staffs added. idk if the holidays changes the approval time ,but hopefully that'll be approved maybe this week.

The shields -- one in particular -- are great. The cross shield is in two parts, so it's really three shields in one.

Acissathar and montyfi like this.
  11. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Update Submitted!
    As with every update, the price goes up, so get it before the update is approved and save $8 :)

This update features two staffs and two shields. Each shield is modular, and the one with the metal cross is really kind of two shields put together. All of the textures are 100% customizable, so you can change any part, usually independent of the rest, to any other material you'd like. That means metal can be wood, wood can be metal, change the type of metal, the color, the reflectivity -- practically anything you might want to do you CAN do.

nasos_333, AdamGoodrich and montyfi like this.
  12. Archania

Archania

Looks awesome! Very nice work.

infinitypbr likes this.
  13. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Thanks!

14. sowatnow

sowatnow

Nice shields and staffs, but Still no bow :).

infinitypbr likes this.
  15. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Yep! Animator thinks she'll be done by the 25th :D

sowatnow likes this.
  16. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Latest update is now live!

Acissathar and montyfi like this.
  17. montyfi

montyfi

May I ask what's happening with updates? Haven't heard anything from you since last year %)
    Exporting textures still (or again) doesn't work.
    And what about December contest results? :)

18. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The next update will feature bows & arrows, and is waiting for animations to be completed. It'll be released (since it's being made) at the same time as our Human, and will work perfectly with the human model, so when the human draws the bow, it actually looks like it's being used. In game maybe it's too fast/far away to notice, but if you do any closeups, any static shots etc, it'll be a much better and realistic look.

Contest winners are notified via email automatically when the month begins.

For exporting textures -- there's two versions (make sure you update the package) -- one says "5.2.3+", and will work with those versions. the other will continue to work with version of unity before 5.2.0. It's probably best to delete the one you'er not using, if you plan on using the hot key, since they both work with the hot key.

Acissathar likes this.
  19. montyfi

montyfi

Deleted. Getting this error when trying to use it:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SFB_Exporter_5_2_3.SFB_Export (UnityEditor.SubstanceImporter substanceImporter, UnityEngine.ProceduralMaterial[] substanceMaterials, System.String basePath, UnityEditor.SubstanceArchive substance, System.String code) (at Assets/SFBayStudios/Editor/SFB_Exporter_5_2_3.js:41)
    SFB_SaveTexture_5_2_3.SaveTexture () (at Assets/SFBayStudios/Editor/SFB_SaveTexture_5_2_3.js:24)

20. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'll have to check that later when I'm home -- someone on the dragon thread just posted that it worked in 5.2.3p1 however. Make sure the top level file is selected -- the rectangle rather than the circle. I'll get back to you later though.

21. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Ok, in 5.3.0p4 and 5.3.1f1 Unity crashes every time I try to do it. Not sure why. However, the non-automated way of exporting the textures still works -- in the top right of the inspector (almost top right if you have the top-level material selected), click the gear icon, it's very small. And select export (either of the options should be fine), choose where, and they'll export the maps. You'll have to create the material (or just make duplicates of already created ones), and assign the textures yourself.

It's not much of a drag, though -- Since Unity often assigns the wrong metallic map anyway, you'll usually have to manually assign that map already. And if you're making lots of versions, you may be using the same AO/Normal/Metallic maps -- if that's the case, it's better to make many copies of the original material you have, and only replace the albedo. That won't work if you're changing roughness values or damage or such, but if it's just color changes, then that'll work.

I'll try to see if I can figure out what's going on -- the script itself was only modified by me, came from an older post on the forums, with some help from the people at Allegorithmic when Unity changed the behind-the-scenes code.

22. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Just an update on the next update!

The Human Base + Barbarian Pack ended up taking way longer than expected. However, he and she are almost done. The only non "Dragon Rider" animations left are the bow ones -- the've got some issues w/ the rotation and making sure the hand isi n the right place. But once that's done, I'll be submitting an update to this package the same day as I submit the human package.

Two bows and one crossbow -- each rigged and animated to match the human animations for shooting the bow in the right or left hand (and one where the aim is higher than the other), and the crossbow (only one hand for this).

[Update on the previous post, regarding the exporter. It's broken in 5.3.4 -- again the insides of Unity changed and I'm unable to figure out what or why. So for now, no exporter script. However, I've personally found my workflow to be faster doing it manually, as it takes less time to export, and I can delete unwanted textures before Unity imports them, as well as change their format to .png to save disk space]

23. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

24. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  25. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The latest updates with the Bow & Crossbow are now live! You'll find the models for each have animations. They work with our Human Base + Barbarian character package.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  26. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

(If you're already using this package, please go to http://www.InfintyPBR.com -- log in and download the "Mass Exporter" package. It'll be in the next update, which I'm working on now, but it will save you TONS of time)

27. Acissathar

Acissathar

Are there any tips to increase the editor performance? Currently in an empty project (minus itself) the package is using between 60-70% memory (only 8 gigs total) and I'm literally not doing anything.

It has slowly been lowering as I leave it open, is it something to do with the materials generating? If it helps I'm on the latest 5.4 beta.

Edit: After about 20 minutes it's down to a negligible number again. I'm pretty sure it's just the initial material loading in Unity, and if that's the case it's no big deal to let it do it's thing.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    infinitypbr likes this.
  28. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Most likely it's just the initial stuff. The latest Unity versions do a lot behind the scenes, I've noticed that if I press play on a demo scene right after loading it or changing a lot of stuff like the lighting ,I get really bad performance.

Also, having both the scene view and the game view open at once seems to lower performance a lot for me. (during run time, that is)

Acissathar likes this.
  29. Acissathar

Acissathar

I'm glad that it is just loading stuff, since it's not a big deal to just leave it open until I get more RAM or an SSD.

One other thing I noticed this morning was that changing the procedural material was having zero effect. I tried all extremes of all black, 0 light, 0 hue, 0 saturation, etc. but the visual did not change from the material in the demo scene (Sword 001). I tried exporting and then creating a new material and applying that to the weapon, but it still seemed to ignore my values and stick with the demo ones.

30. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Be sure to turn on texture modification in the "main" section, since the graph I use now will bypass all of those options when it's not toggled on. Makes it faster when not using those options.

Acissathar likes this.
  31. Acissathar

Acissathar

That's probably it, I'll give it a shot when I get home. Thanks!

32. RPowers

RPowers

I noticed this pack has an arrow but no crossbow bolt. Will a crossbow bolt be added to this pack later on?

infinitypbr likes this.
  33. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I had always just thought the arrow could be resized and used for that purpose -- do you have a reference for what a specific crossbow bolt would look like? I can sneak it into another project perhaps, and get it made.

34. RPowers

RPowers

Hi, I am just wondering what the status is on making the crossbow bolt, if it will be made. About a month ago I posted a couple of pics of bolts and got replies saying you'd show them to the modeler and maybe get them made. My posts must have been deleted in this forum for some reason.

35. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hopefully it'll be done soon -- it's on the list. Was the image posted during the forum upgrade snafu? I think a weeks worth of stuff was lost from that. But, it is on the list, so hopefully won't be too much longer.

36. RPowers

RPowers

Fantastic, that's great news! So happy to hear that. Ahh that would explain the loss of forum posts. I was thinking someone deleted them for some reason. Thanks again!

37. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Bolts are now available for download at www.InfinityPBR.com -- just log in and you'll see it after registering the package. They'll be part of the next update too, but I'm not sure when that will happen.

Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 9.46.13 PM.png

38. RPowers

RPowers

These are perfect! Exactly what I had in mind. Thanks a bunch! Really helps me out.

infinitypbr likes this.
  39. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Awesome!

40. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Final object is a Helmet. Can be used with or without the horns, and of course fits the head of our Human Male & Female characters. Update is waiting for approval :)

JBR-games likes this.
  41. R1PFake

R1PFake

Hello, can you please post some pictures of the bows / arrows and the corssbows / bolts? Do they have bones for the strings, so that i can "pull" the bow/crossbow string by moving the bone in unity? Can the material be change to a "fantasy" style? Im currently looking for a nice fantasy style weapon pack and im thinking about buying either your pack or this pack https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/20708

infinitypbr likes this.
  42. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Photos are below. They are rigged to work with the RPG Barbarian Pack and any future human updates. If I make other "hero" races, like Elves or dwarves or half-orcs or what not, they'll likely be animated to work with those as well.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "Fantasy" style -- I'm guessing maybe the hand-drawn look that Manufatura4K has? The two packs are very very different. The "PBR" he has is somewhat faked, with arbitrary numbers used to get the effect he wants, while mine comes from real world values. Both are mostly modular, with pieces that you can mix and match with to create new weapons, but his textures aren't customizable at all.

With the texture customization, you could make these objects look less "real", by adjusting the values -- turning metal into plastic, adding overlay colors to flatten out the diffuse, and adjusting the roughness to make things more matte and less reflective.

I would say that you should buy whichever pack better fits the look of your characters and game. His pack has more individual weapons, but they are a different texture pipeline, and may not work entirely well if the rest of your game is more real-world PBR values.

43. R1PFake

R1PFake

Hello, thanks for the pictures, i sent you a PM with more questions.

infinitypbr likes this.
  44. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Replied in the PM, but here is an image showing the bows being "pulled back". There are three bones of note -- the one in the middle of the string, which can be easily attached to a "point" like a hand or a VR controller. There are two more bones on the top and bottom of the bow, which can be pulled back maybe 10% of the "string", so that it looks like the bow is warping.

Then the grip is the pivot point, so that'll be easy to attach to another VR controller or a characters "holding" hand, wit the right position & rotation.

Xepherys, TeagansDad and JBR-games like this.
  45. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

46. henkesky

henkesky

hello sfbaystudios am impressed with your asset i just purchased from the asset store. I have been trying to customize the weapons but when i select the procedural material for the weapons i don't the same interface you get on the video tutorial i watched, so i cant customize my weapons. The screen shot is shown below.
    Again you called the asset weapons and armor, i was expecting to see body armors, i only saw helmets.

Screenshot (124).png

47. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The window on the right looks to be a "debug" window. You'll want to load the inspector window with the material selected.

Body armor isn't something you'll find without being attached to specific bodies. Shields and helmets can be universal, but body armor has to deal with not only different sized bodies and limbs, but animation as well.

I'm planning to do a body armor specific package for my humans and other upcoming bodies, but they will only work on my characters, since it's very difficult if not impossible, to make them work with any body.

48. henkesky

henkesky

@ sfbaystudios thanks for your quick reply, i also have the RPG barbarian pack. So when are we expecting the body armor pack? Again as an experienced developer, whats the best "level of detail" (LOD) for mobile and pc models (for the barbarian and weapon asset)

49. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Like the limbo: As low as you can go.

It really depends on your project. I don't know the specifics of actual numbers -- I just don't delve that deep into it all. I figure, you want your stuff to look good. So test it -- on the device you're developing for (and if you're doing mobile & desktop, then plan to use two different LODs and texture resolutions), and see if it looks good. If it does, take it down lower. Keep doing that until it doesn't look good. And take screenshots as you go, so you can look back and figure out what the best LOD is.

Often, for the barbarians and the new Devils, you can remove a lot of the clothing that isn't super visible if it's on a smaller screen. Although test on tablets as well as phones, since users may play it on both. But if you can't see some armor piece, then it may be best just to remove it entirely.

Finally, I think there are some assets in the store that'll combine the meshes into one. I don't have any recommendations as I haven't used any, but there should e some in there. Some may also make texture atlases too. But those steps I'd do only at the very end when you're 100% sure you won't be changing them anymore.

There's no ETA on the armor pieces. As soon as possible, but often things take longer than I'd like. (Of course I'd like them out already, but still).

The current game plan is to find a new modeler to work with ,to speed things up -- Currently I'm testing with some people, but most unfortunately won't work out in my experience.

As we make new bodies for 3 different races (Elf, Dwarf & Half-Orc), I'll start the modeling for the armor piece. Just saying stuff now, so this isn't a set list, but: Light Leather Armor, Medium Leather Armor, Heavy Leather Armor, Light Chainmail, Heavy Chainmail, Light Plate, Heavy Plate, Ornate Plate (like royalty). Full sets, designed for Male/Female of all races. If the armor is ready before all the races are, then it'd be updated as the races become ready.

That's the game plan. No be sure not to quote me on it!

50. henkesky

henkesky

Hello @ sfbaystudios please i know your not suppose to be doing this, am looking for how to make icons for my weapons and characters i bought. Please do you have an idea of softwares i can use to generate beautiful ico s for my models.