Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Infinity Series] Human Character | Texture Customization, Music, Concept Art & Sound Effects

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by infinitypbr, Mar 27, 2016.

1. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Now Includes Adaptive Music!
    A composer has creates original tracks to accompany these packs. Some tracks are more like Theme Music, while others are more Ambient, or anywhere in between. Music is always included in layers. Each stem, often a single instrument, can be used in the Unity Audio Mixer so you can create your own mixes. The Demo scene will include a selection of Snapshots ready to be used, as well as scripts showing how you can modify the sound during gameplay.

The music can now adapt to your game. Fade to another snapshot based on in-game variables such as Player Health, Time Remaining or whether the game is Paused or not. While a Composers Mix is always included if you do not want to mix your own tracks, we urge you to try it out. The power you have is insane.

Listen to the Composers Mix here: https://soundcloud.com/user-821120479/remember-the-plains

** Of all the music we've produced so far, this is my favorite. It's a 3 minute, 40 second track, but through using the Unity Audio Mixer, you can create many different complete tracks, which all sound different from each other. The versatility here is quite amazing. **

Dhoren and TeagansDad like this.
  2. jonlundy

jonlundy

As a suggestion, could you make the music available as separate downloads? My ISP is very unreliable and the larger the file size gets the more likely it is to fail. In addition if instead of downloading the entire barbarian file, I downloaded just the music it might save you some bandwidth.

TeagansDad and infinitypbr like this.
  3. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I can -- this has been on the roadmap for a bit, esp now that some of my stuff will be available on Unreal Marketplace, and they don't want me to include al the extras.

4. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Alright, they've both been added! (for just this pack -- I need to find a more elegant looking solution for the rest)

jonlundy likes this.
  5. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

I love the adaptive music. Reminds me of playing Wing Commander way back in the day...

infinitypbr likes this.
  6. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

will you make more update to character pack and more content in future? im looking for alternatives to uma where the characters can be generic and have enough content to be considered as non placeholder stuff

7. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The current plan is to add blend shapes (mesh morphing) to the human & dragon, which should vastly increase the looks you can get.

We're also working on more humanoids: Elves, Half-Orcs, then Dwarves.

Each of the clothing of the 4 humanoid types is planned to be mix-and-matchable between them all. I would also like to open up the ecosystem to other artists so they can make more clothing/armor.

8. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

thats great if it can become something like willb packs from the asset store! will blend shapes allow to morph things like ears size or legs length ? i thought it was only for face animation
    anyway i think the title is misleading "Barbarian pack" it should be more universal like modular medieval characters to reach a wider audience

infinitypbr likes this.
  9. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I agree! Just today I was thinking "I need to rename it RPG Human Pack" :)

I'm hoping WillB will be able to port his wardrobe over to my characters.

The characters will have blend shapes for animation, yes, but we add more shapes for morphing, ones that aren't affected by animations, and do include the ears, face, etc. I'm basically taking my time to make sure that we get as many small nuanced changes as possible, so that the largest variety of faces can be made, and hopefully all realistic looking. Humans are tough like that.

Tiny-Tree likes this.
  10. Dhoren

Dhoren

Hi all,

I made some progress getting creatures into my game. I have a lot of work yet to do but I came up with a process for
    adding NPC's to my zones(scenes) along with the position and rotation. All of the data is created and stored on the server side. Next I am going to work on NPC type specific customization like I did with the humans so I can have more variety like a giant spider vs. a forest spider etc.

Creatures.png

infinitypbr likes this.
  11. Enoch

Enoch

Just bought this pack and I have a few questions concerns, etc.

Is there anyway to get all of the component parts of the model (armor, boots, vambraces, etc) to use the same atlased texture to reduce draw calls? Is there any asset out there that will take all of the parts out there and push them into an atlas and convert the uvs for the model parts (of a skinned mesh) similar to the way mesh baker does it for non-skinned meshes?

The way you have the model setup now has a different material for every clothing part. For a fully optimized production ready game this will be murder on frame rate eventually. We need someway to bake the model to an optimized form. Any ideas for any assets that do this?

Also, and I apologize for harping on this one, your procedural materials have the same problem the Dungeon+ asset pack had. You for some reason lock the material (.sbar) to 2048x2048 , I understand you want that to be the default so the model looks good but please don't lock it. I should have the option to procedurally generate 1024 or even 512 textures if I want. I know I can export and change the output size of texture directly but the issue is generation time in the editor. You would save yourself so much grief for your customers if you shipped all procedural materials unlocked and 512. Unity consumes so much memory and processing generating those 2048 materials for the first time, this is the primary reason you have issues with unity crashing on import sometimes I guarantee it.

Good pack, I am really excited about the future of the humanoid/race models and clothing.

infinitypbr likes this.
  12. henmachuca

henmachuca

Hello!!
    I became really interested in this barbarian pack for my rpg, they look really nice!
    But as all rpgs, armors are a big part of it....

Do you have plans to release more armors scheduled?!
    Or its just going to depend on the community to come with new stuff?

Thank you!!

infinitypbr likes this.
  13. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Reduce Draw Calls Etc
    I'd think there's probably an asset in the store for this, to atlas textures? I thought Mesh Baker did that as well, but I haven't used any of them really, so I'm not sure. The intent is that for games where it becomes and issue, making a texture atlas would be ideal. But I don't want to do it before hand, since there's likely just as many games where not all the clothing is used, and it makes no sense to have a 2k map when only 1/4th of it is actually being used in game.

Has anyone else done anything with this yet?

Resolution Lock
    I thought I had updated this one too -- I'll look into it. It should have been updated.

14. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The current plan is to have an Elf, Half-Orc & Dwarf base character set created, just like the Human. In theory all wardrobe will work between them.

Once that's set, I can produce full-armor sets that work on all 4 base characters.

You can see a lot of what I'm working on here: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/infinity-series-works-in-progress-mega-thread.408430/

henmachuca, Enoch and Tiny-Tree like this.
  15. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Concept Art is now available!

There are three male and three female images (6 total!), and each has many layers for wardrobe options in the photoshop file.

TeagansDad and Dhoren like this.
  16. Enoch

Enoch

Well I fell foolish now. I thought I specifically read that mesh baker would not work with skinned meshes. It apparently works just fine with skinned meshes according to the youtube I just looked at. So Mesh Baker should allow me to stuff all the objects into the same single drawcall mesh. Your right I would rather do this myself as I can remove and add which accessories I am going to use, etc.

I have both Mesh Baker and SimpleLod, I imagine with both I should be able to optimize the mesh to my liking.

infinitypbr likes this.
  17. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

If you could let us know how things go with Mesh Baker, that'd be great -- it's something other have asked about recently too.

18. Dhoren

Dhoren

Hi Andrew,

I read your email about the New GitHub Projects. I don't know which forum to discuss this on so I hope this one is OK.
    I watched the Dragon Rider Demo Scene video and it looks fine to me. I don't have the DragonsPackPBR.unitypackage yet but I'll get it this week and see what it looks like in my game. My game is just a hobby but I have been so busy with various parts of the project that I haven't had much time to play with the creatures yet. I started working on combat a few days ago. I'm using the bomber bug as my test for wiring animations from the server to the client. So this lead me to start looking at the animator for the first time recently. The way I am relating this to the issue you described with the dragon + rider is this, correct me if I am wrong but these are my initial thoughts:

1. Give your humanoid characters mounted animations that will be used regardless of the mount.
    2. Take the dragon out of the equation.
    3. When we mount a humanoid character to a mount we just make the humanoid character a child of the mount point of whatever mount you create.

What am I missing? I'll have more input after I play with it in my project.

Duh, I just visited the GitHub and saw that you are trying to do what I was thinking. I'll take a look at it ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    infinitypbr likes this.
  19. Cyrien51

Cyrien51

Hello,
    Do you plan to add other faces ? Because i'd like to use your characters in my games, but i need unique characters, and i can't have the same face for everyone.

20. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

At some point relatively soon we'll be adding blend shapes. The shapes will allow you to morph the faces in a lot of very specific ways, which should produce a lot of different faces. This image is of the devils -- each row is one face with some morphed versions.

It would be more ideal to have only one default face and the option to morph it into many other looks, rather than having many pre-set faces. It's less expensive and far lighter on the system, while also much more versatile.

Hopefully it'll work out, since right now the plan for the elves & half orcs are to have only a single default face.

21. Dhoren

Dhoren

Rider + Mount Lessons learned:

Keep in mind that I could be wrong!

I bought the DragonsPackPBR yesterday so that I could play with the possibility of using it as a mount. First of all, I don't consider it to be your responsibility to provide a script to make the mounts mountable. One reason for that is that a person may buy creature assets from various vendors and decide to make a creature a mount or not. It's up to them to figure out how to implement it. That said, a script would still be REALLY helpful!

From what I think I understood about my experience so far since yesterday is:

1. Any humanoid rider that is a child of the dragon will be part of the dragon + rider animations. This is a good reason to make the rider a child of the Dragon when they mount it. That would work except that the rider that you were controlling up to that point was moving around in world space but now is in the local space of the dragon. So control would need to be transferred from the rider to the mount if I still want to take advantage of the dragon + rider animations. Also, for the dragon + rider mount/dismount animation to work I have 3 options: 1. Move the player to the mount point. 2. Move the mount to the player mount point. 3. Summon the mount to the player mount point. I was thinking I'd pass a parameter to control which method to use for mounting purposes if I go that route. One big downside is that not all creatures a person would decide to use as a mount would have mount + rider animations.

2. If I don't make the rider a child of the dragon then I can't use the dragon + rider animations. That's fine except my rider doesn't have a *mounted* animation, I can't make it look like the rider is mounted. I might be able to figure out how to add that animation. I am still new to this stuff. The upside to this approach is that now the mount animations and rider animations are independent of each other. From what I can tell this is what you would like to do. Now this leaves two options: 1. Make the mount a child of the rider and figure out how to deal with whatever issues that causes. 2. Do what it appears was the approach in the scripts on GitHub and make the mount follow the rider or rider follow the mount via scripts.

So that's where I am at. I'll let you know if I come up with something.

22. Dhoren

Dhoren

OK,

After another iteration, I dug a little deeper and realized some of my original assumptions were wrong. The good news is I got a little closer hopefully to making this work enough to move forward with this approach. I was able to make my rider a child of the mount while keeping control of my rider and controlling the mount at the same time. In a nutshell, I made a boolean m_IsMounted in both of the character and mount controllers. When m_IsMounted is true I return out of FixedUpdate(), Update() in the character controller at desired locations and pass the m_IsMounted and m_Speed values to the MountController and the mount MountController decides to idle/run/walk/walkbackward based on the speed. I figure I'll make the dragon go into fly mode when my character jumps. If I rotate with my rider, I simply rotate the parent instead of the rider when m_IsMounted is true.

The downside now is I don't know how to animate and/or attach the riders feet and hands to the proper positions yet but I'll check into it.

The upside is that this should work with any mount that the MountController is attached to.

I'm going to be too busy to work on it for a couple of days unfortunately but I'll get back to it this weekend.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  23. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Thanks. I haven't looked at any of this in the past few days, it's on my list, but all the other stuff is too :D

However, from what I can gather...

Foot/Hand Placements
    IK is the way to go with this. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/InverseKinematics.html

Mounting
    Once mounted -- basically create an empty object, called "Mount Point" or something -- the Rider can either be moved to match the position (in LateUpdate I think is the appropriate point?), or the Rider can be made child.

If the rider is a child, they will inherit all the motion of the Mount Point, so if the back of the Mount sways, then the rider will sway as well.

The Original Problems
    It's been over a year since we started trying to make this all work. The initial problem was that when I made the Rider a child of the Mount (using the Mount Point), the Rider would sink down through the Mount to the ground and then snap back up during the animation transition.

What we have now
    I think the latest versions have the "Human_DragonRider" files in the animation folder? They look like this...

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 12.48.47 PM.png

The root position of these should be the same as the dragon. So for these animations, in theory, the dragon doesn't have to be the parent of the human. Instead, so long as they have the same position, they should match and the animations, which were created to match, should match as well.

Andrew

24. Dhoren

Dhoren

Very good info, thank you. I am using the CharacterController on the rider and mount. I am disabling the CharacterController on the rider when I start using the mount and that kept the rider from sinking down. I'm sure it's going to change a lot before I'm done. I am going to check into the IK thing.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    infinitypbr likes this.
  25. Dhoren

Dhoren

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I haven't given up on this. I've just been really busy. I did import the dragon into the Human Fantasy Pack project and created a new scene. For starters I added the human female as a child of the dragon
    and it mounted the dragon with the proper animation. I control the human and then control the dragon once she is mounted. That's about it so far. I'll play with it some more very soon. I still haven't checked into the Inverse Kinetic thing yet but I will!

infinitypbr likes this.
  26. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

This video showcases the 10 included mixes of the song "Remember the Plains", composed specifically for this package. In the demo scene, you can create your own mixes using the Audio Mixer and export them all with a single click into game ready .wav files.

27. tezza2k1

tezza2k1

Hi... do you have any plans to do Wizards / Mages / Clerics ? I need some for my new project and the Barbarians look out of place. There are some last-gen wizard packs on the asset store, which have a large range of clothing and momvements. But your models are just so much better ! I imagine you would be able to sell Wizards ( Male and Female ) to a large range of customers

infinitypbr likes this.
  28. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The current plan is to finish up work on 3 new races -- Half-Orc, Elf & Dwarf. Each would have it's own wardrobe, but all wardrobe would feature versions that fit the other races bodies as well, so you can mix and match. None of those are likely to be wizard-specific, but some may be more appropriate.

Once that is done, I will be able to produce full wardrobe/armor sets that work the same way, with all 4 races, and both genders of each. Full plate armor, wizard gear etc would all be viable I think. (Although wizard robes would likely require use of the cloth physics engine, or my animators will hate me and triple their rates :D )

You can see some work in progress images and other info here: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/infinity-series-works-in-progress-mega-thread.408430/

29. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

I really like the idea of more armor sets - and I have to get my act together and start using the Human Fantasy pack I've already bought...

30. bluemana

bluemana

On a new project, I opened the TextureCreation scene, and all of the scripts show as missing on the gameobjects (like the copythistothat controllers). Did I miss a step somewhere? Thanks

31. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Thanks for bringing that to my attention -- even on my main project, all of the references are missing. I have no idea how that happened, but there's a new update, yo can download "HumanMissingCopyThisUpdate.unitypackage" from the InfinityPBR.com downloads, and that should fix it.

Thanks!

32. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

It's probably something with meta files? Is the main unitypackage on your webpage updated with the fix?

infinitypbr likes this.
  33. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Yes, and there is a smaller package that should "patch" the problem as well. My best guess is that I was playing with prefabs and somehow updated things...not sure how, but that's the only possibility I can think of. The asset store version will be updated when it gets approved.

34. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

We're working on the Mesh Morphing update. This is an early WIP gif showing some variations using the "Random" button in the script we use, with the min/max set to the full value. There are some funky looking faces here because we try to have the "full" value of a shape be somewhat extreme, with the expectation that you won't usually bring it that far out. But you can if you want.

Just a taste of what's to come!

35. Zyxil

Zyxil

Will the Morphing Update include the facial blendshapes that will allow emotions and lip syncing?

I use Rogo Digital LipSync and it would be awesome to have this working with your characters.

36. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'll can look into what that system requires -- no promises, but I like the concept :)

JBR-games likes this.
  37. Zyxil

Zyxil

Basically, there are standard blendshapes for making a face be able to emote and show phonemes. If those are in the shapes collection, they can be mapped to most any lipsync tool. Moving eyebrows, eye-face muscles, mouth shape and jaw are the main areas that need to move. Optionally, tongue movement for some phonemes, but that's probably overkill for game dev. Mass Effect: Andromeda didn't do tongue movement.

38. RPowers

RPowers

Hi. Are different outfits for this package planned to be released? If so what's the status on this? Ranger, mage, knight, and common folk outfits would be absolutely amazing and have so many uses for any rpg/medieval game.

infinitypbr likes this.
  39. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Planned, but status is not anytime soon :( I'll be VERY vocal as soon as things are back on track.

frbrz, TeagansDad and JBR-games like this.
  40. RPowers

RPowers

Ok thanks. Looking forward to it

infinitypbr likes this.
  41. drmccollum

drmccollum

What is the timeline for having all four races completed? I'm very interested in this package, but I really need as many of the typical fantasy races(human, elf,dwarf,halfling, Orc, gnome, goblin) as possible. Seems like the Elf has been in works for almost a year now.

infinitypbr likes this.
  42. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Yeah, I'm looking for a new modeler to complete it all

43. drmccollum

drmccollum

What are your thoughts on some of the smaller fantasy characters like gnomes and halfligs? Should they be the same just scaled smaller or a second base model that is shared between the smaller races? My concern is that the different races should have a distinct look that you can identify by their silhouette alone. That's a basic tenant established by Walt Disney himself.

infinitypbr likes this.
  44. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Considering it's been so difficult to find the right person for just these.... any more would be not on the table at this point. Hopefully the mesh morphing would allow enough customization for that.

45. Wishymashy

Wishymashy

Hello, just saw this asset and i saw there was a sale early Sept that i just missed =(. Any idea when they next sale be? =) Very interested in the Human/Dragon set

46. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

How is the Mesh Morphing coming along?

47. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 7.55.16 PM.png

That's what the texture creation scene looks like right now.... :D So just a few more updates.
    Unfortunately the update will break any prefabs that people are using now, so if you don't absolutely need the mesh morphing, I'd suggest not updating your game yet.

48. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Hahaha cool :) So it's relatively soon then :p Can't wait!

49. Acissathar

Acissathar

Does this horrifying monstrosity include the change of one head with multiple morphs or are they multiple morphs per head?

50. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

The models are now one mesh, with all the wardrobe as sub meshes. There is one head, but the original 3 are all present through a single morph slider. Then beyond that there's ... maybe 200+ other sliders?

JBR-games and Acissathar like this.