Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Indirect Light on Floor

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by SentientSkull, Feb 13, 2017.

1. SentientSkull

SentientSkull

I made a test model of a simple building which I dropped into a scene. This has interior/exterior.

There is a reflection probe in the interior of the model. I'm using Precomputed Realtime GI only. When I bake it, the floor of the buidling is evenly light with indirect light (sort of full-bright). If I turn off indirect light, it goes away.

This model is one piece so there are no gaps (everything is connected. The ceiling has its normals facing down and the roof has its normals facing up so it should be blocking the directional light. The reflection probe is placed just inside the walls so it should not be reflecting the skybox.

I can't think this is supposed to be this way. Is this a bug in Unity, or is there something I can do to fix it?

Attached Files:

2. SentientSkull

SentientSkull

The 'glowing floor' was due to a setting in the lightmap parameters being too high (modelling tolerance).

On the models I'm testing now, I'm setting the lightmap parameters to higher settings and this seems prevent the more obvious light leaks, but I still get a certain amount of indirect light leaking. through solid geometry.

3. SentientSkull

SentientSkull

It is the bounce intensity for the point lights that is causing the indirect light leak I guess. I wasn't reading the warning correctly (Currently realtime indirect bounce light shadowing for spot and point lights is not supported). I was tuning out the 'shadowing' part for some reason.

Any idea when point/spot lights will support realtime indirect bounce light shadowing?

4. xCyborg

xCyborg

We've been waiting for years without any luck, now it looks like they dropped "Currently" from the info message.

5. discofhc

discofhc