Search Unity

IndieEffects: Bringing (almost) AAA quality Post-Process FX to Unity Indie

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FuzzyQuills, Sep 2, 2013.

1. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@0tacun: Ok then. I got the AO working BTW, just needed the _MainTex multiplied with the AO for it to work. but i am getting weird results when i get up close to an object. (the occlusion is there, but the occlusion also spreads up the poles!) Ah well, I also have another shader ready to convert on a different thread, so if you know anything on converting HLSL to CG, see if converting my other shader helps this project, if you can. HLSL is a bit like gibberish to me anyway...

EDIT: never mind, just needed to change the base value. the fact that it's even POSSIBLE is the big achievement here!

@Gogin: I now have a basic version of AO which is VERY BUGGY, but it works! so i should have a new version uploaded soon. just got to have it ported to C# first... BTW, if anyone wanted an outline effect, your wish came true: big thanks to 0tacun for doing the conversion!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Cool. This is a big update. Does it include the depth of field with falloff?

3. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@baldinoboy: YEP! and the bloom effect has been improved as well! The update will be released immediately after C# porting is done.

Here is a list of new effects:
    • SSAO(Really Buggy, but it's a start!)
    • Depth Of Field Now has falloff! The F-Stop doesn't work, however, so I have to fix this.
    • Improved bloom effect. This still doesn't have a threshold setting, which i am working on.

By the way, for those who frequently visit my terrain challenge thread, I am going to release the new water shader soon! and when i do, it will be a new thread!

4. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Awesomeness

5. 0tacun

0tacun

Yes I have commented it out for testing purposes, it is essential to play a bit with the values until you are satisfied. Have you blurred the AO already? I would like to see some pictures or the code :)

I checked your HLSL porting thread. This shader uses additionally an normal texture isn't it? My SSAOTest shader was formely also HLSL, I read somewhere that HLSL and CG are nearly identical, so porting wasn't that hard. Maybe I can give it a shot.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  6. Gogin

Gogin

Guys I am now quite confused, do not know where to download the latest version, everything works in test mode, but once it does not render the like in test mode, either nothing happens or I throw white (color screen), you can do a tutorial? I do not really know what I'm doing wrong or if the script is not fully functional? Thank you very much for your answer

7. 0tacun

0tacun

Maybe it would be good to wait till FuzzyQuills uploaded an updated version, as he said the has some bugs etc.

Anyway if you are using my package here is a image of the setup: $setup.jpg In this example I want to use SSAOTest. Don't forget to enable IndieEffects _Depth and insert it before the SSAOTest script. Furthermore check if 'This Camera' has a camera assigned and every script uses the shader needed, which you can find in the ShaderDir folder.

I hope I could help you.

8. Seth-McCumber

Seth-McCumber

Some suggestions and bugs again ;). Maybe a negative camera effect, and for bugs the C# versions shaders dont get automaticaly applied, they are blank

9. 0tacun

0tacun

Has someone a hint how to capture lens flares with the image effects? I tried to replace the Internal-Flare.shader with a custom one which uses a lowerd rendering queue, but no success.
    $flare.jpg

@Seth McCumber:
    Isn't there already a negative camera effect? I found one in the folders.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

For everyone to hear: A new release is coming soon! All that is needed now is a C# port of the scripts. (WITH the shaders auto-add fixed, as Seth pointed out the missing shader thing) So expect results within the next week!

@Seth: OOPS! Thanks for pointing this out, as i actually forgot to add this functionality to the C# port. And as for a negative cam effect, there is one in there, but i am not sure if it even looks reversed...

@0tacun: what the heck did you do there! It looks a tad too bright... Anyway, one of my original releases used to capture the lens flare, but i am not sure how it does it now. I can look into this if you like, as i did get motion blur on a lens flare once...

EDIT: A notice for everyone... For those wanting better water in unity free, or have been following my terrain challenge thread, I have now officially released River water: the almost-all-in-one solution for Unity Free! For more details, search "riverwater" or head to the terrain challenge thread: the shader link now takes you to the new thread!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  11. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

New version uploaded!

Note that the C# port isn't finished, so hasn't been included yet. As for the rest, there is now a working form of SSAO, but to use it may take some modification. it also has artifacts and looks really messy!

The starBloom effect is still here to stay, two DoF shaders are now included, and the new Bloom effect has arrived! This bloom isn't finished yet though, but to make the most of it, pair it with DoF for awesome results!

Enjoy!

-FuzzyQuills

12. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Do you have FastBloom ported??

13. Seth-McCumber

Seth-McCumber

Yes!!! SSAOI!!!

14. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@rea: Hi! I presume you probably followed my link in the Lux thread! anyway, that bloom you saw in the webplayer isn't fastBloom: It's my own bloom! Of course, i can give a shot at porting fastbloom if you like.

@Seth: yes, there is Ambient Occlusion! It can get buggy when you go close-up though! :)

EDIT TO EVERYONE: Thanks to the fastest scripting port in history by Berenger, (at least in my opinion ;)) the C# version is back! the new pack is now uploaded, with the C# port containing a couple of optimisations realted to the _extensions scripts.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  15. Walter86

Walter86

Awesome! Does it work with mobile as well or it's just for Windows/mac?

16. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Walter86: Mobile is unfortunately not on the compatibility list, due to Texture2D.ReadPixels being very slow on the platform. You can, however, run it on almost everything else, depending on the hardware capabilities of said platform

17. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Hey you guys! ever noticed that the HDR checkbox on the camera doesn't work? This is because the HDR buffer can't be used in forward rendering without an image effect, which can't be done by my package sadly...

But here is the awesome part: because i have seen what HDR can do, i have decided to duplicate and mod the Bloom shader to actually fake HDR so that this brilliant effect will be available in your unity indie arsenal! For those who want to approve this, go ahead and post! for those who wish to help in bringing HDR to unity free, post your experiments here, and i will take a look at them.

18. Lemo76

Lemo76

I am yet to try out the SSAO.
    Can't wait for a fake HDR if it's even possible.
    Good luck towards achieving this effect.

I approve this.

In the meantime, work out a way you can spread the word about this thread, because this is all very useful and it is getting less attention then one would expect. Oh well, keep at it.

19. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Lemo76: Thx bro. Not sure how to spread this, maybe i could add a link in my signature, like some other devs do on their accounts. Will do it now and see what happens. I guess not many visit this thread much, and i think part of the reason is the mountain of assets that appear every day...

I see you are interested in my statement above, so i will give you a slice of the cake: In my theory, my HDR works by looking at the Luminance of the image, and the glow in the image is adjusted according to this, so a cave will look really dark normally, but enter the cave, and everything inside of it will be viewable, with the cave entrance appearing really bright. another situation would be exitig a train tunnel, like in movies where the camera moves straight out and the scene get sreal bright, then becomes clear again. You get the idea!

So this will be the theory I am using to fake HDR by adjusting a bloom's output color to match the view. I got this idea from watching my bloom effect everytime i adjusted the amount of bloom when testing it. Now i am attemtping to do this behaviour automatically to approximate HDR!

And now... I am babbling. So thanks again for giving feedback for my suggestion!

20. 0tacun

0tacun

I suggest a new thread with the same name as in your link. Maybe many people aren't interessted in 'Epic Radial Blur Effect for Unity Indie'. A great pity.

21. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Yea, maybe. that was the thread name i gave it when IndieEffects was VERY young. Know a way to change a thread's name? cause i don't really feel like starting this again. of course, i could just copy and paste, then ask the moderators to delete my old thread, but ah well, too much of a hassle!

EDIT: HOLY COW!!!! I found a thing in the Unity3D documentation that will work with IndieEffects in linear lighting mode! So i will give this a try and post results!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  22. Lemo76

Lemo76

Can't you ask the moderators to change the name or something?

23. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I know you can ask for a profile name change, (they did this for me when i sent in a request!) But i am not sure about thread names... I guess i could ask one of the team before sending an email to support.

24. ex3me

ex3me

Hey,

just wanna say, great bundle there, thanks very much for it!

However, there seems to be a bit of a problem, when I try to build my game with your effects (with base and AA only to be precise) the screens gets grey in build. Everything works fine in editor.
    I apologize if it had been answered in thread before, but I'd really apreciated help on this. Thanks!

25. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I have been using the latest pack and have an error with the original DOF shader.

$DOF_error.jpg

There was a problem with the transparency with the previous DOF but this new problem is very noticable. I would use the new DOF shader but find the blurring effect too strong even at lowest setting.

I am loving the star bloom. Can you really do a HDR effect? Do you think it will be in the next upload?

26. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@baldinoboy: That artifact in the original DoF is because transparency in the depth texture isn't present. I have been attempting to make a better depth tex that can also detect transparency, which i am not far off.

@ex3me: i have no idea what could be causing your problem! perhaps a screenshot might help? or even a project upload so i can have a better look at how you've set this up.most common cause of a gray screen is a missing shader, but other than that, i have no idea!

27. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Yeah but what is strange is the previous update did not do the same thing. Just wondering. I know you are going to fix both problems anyway.

28. ex3me

ex3me

This is the way I got the camera set up.

$287.png

When I check the Motion Blur in Indie Effect script the screen get's slightly greyer, if I turn it off AA doesn't seem to be working. Again, this only happens when I run the build, everything works fine in editor. (If you think screenshots of of scene would help, I'll send them to you through PM, unfortunetly, can't share project)

Knowing myself, it's gonna be something stupid :)

29. Gogin

Gogin

Guys? Can I have question? When I used god rays, it looks wonderful, but everything go to dark. Any issue?

30. homer_3

homer_3

TIL importing a custom package can destroy your project :( Didn't think I'd have to back up just to import a package.

31. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@homer_3: what gave you THIS hair-brained idea?! It doesn't destroy mine, and people have no probs importing my pack normally! perhaps more evidence could help your hypothesis, homer_3?

@Gogin: that effect is technically obsolete... and may be replaced with a new one in the future. For now, the dark bit is caused by the Blend mode in the shader, so if you fancy yourself a shader programmer, you can try modding it if you like to give better results. After all, this pack (which i should state in my main post) is Open-Source, so you are free to mod anything you want to! (PM 0tacun if you would like examples on how he modded his scripts for split-screen, it's brilliant! It is also something i hope to integrate...)

@ex3me: Hmm... nothing seems wrong with this. maybe the C# scripts are doing strange things. will test later as i am at TAFE computer at the moment. and don't feel so stupid, ;) these things happen. (I even managed to break the motion blur myself at some point, but that's definitely fixed now!)
    And here is something to try: check if Linear shading is enabled in any place, even in your own scripts, as any linear color space change will cause these effects to fail. if not, then PM me with screenshots so i can take a look at this. also try downloading the pack again and doing a re-import - you may have my broken version, and the probs in the broken one have since been fixed and uploaded.

@baldinoboy: in actual fact, the weird cutoff artifacts were there in the first place: the bad falloff in the original masked it! Of course, once i work a way of rendering transparency also, the problem should go away. and the new blurry version doesn't have any adjustments yet...

32. 0tacun

0tacun

Did someone read this article: http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch27.html?

It is another motion blur and looks like this:
    $motionblur.jpg
    the problem is it takes only the camera movement into account, but the result gives a pretty good feeling of speed. I try to achieve object motion blur :/

I hope there will be more attention to this thread and some shader pro's could contribute some cool stuff. That would be great!

MotionBlur.shader:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Shader "Custom/MotionBlur"{
    2.     Properties
    3.     {
    4.         _MainTex ("Base (RGB)", 2D) = "white" {}
    5.         _CameraDepthTexture ("Depth Texture", 2D) = "black" {}
    6.         //_intensity ("Intensity", Range(0.0, 1.0)) = 0.5
    7.     }
    8.     SubShader
    9.     {
    10.     Pass
    11.         {
    12.             ZTest Always Cull Off ZWrite Off
    13.               Fog { Mode off }
    15.             CGPROGRAM
    16.             #pragma vertex vert
    17.             #pragma fragment frag
    18.             #pragma target 3.0
    20.             #include "UnityCG.cginc"
    22.             struct v2f {
    23.                 float4 pos : POSITION;
    24.                 float2 uv : TEXCOORD0;
    25.                 float2 uvVelocity : TEXCOORD1;
    26.             };
    28.             v2f vert (appdata_img v)
    29.             {
    30.                 v2f o;
    31.                 o.pos = mul(UNITY_MATRIX_MVP, v.vertex);
    32.                 o.uv = v.texcoord.xy;
    34.                 return o;
    35.             }
    37.             sampler2D     _MainTex;
    38.             sampler2D     _CameraDepthTexture;
    39.             float4x4    _inverseViewProjectionMatrix;
    40.             float4x4     _previousViewProjectionMatrix;
    41.             float        _intensity; //Range 0 - 1, I used pretty low values ~0.002
    43.             float4 frag( v2f v ) : COLOR
    44.             {
    45.                 float2 texCoord = v.uv;
    46.                 // Get the depth buffer value at this pixel.
    47.                 float zOverW = tex2D(_CameraDepthTexture, texCoord);
    49.                 // H is the viewport position at this pixel in the range -1 to 1.
    50.                 float4 H = float4(texCoord.x * 2 - 1, (1 - texCoord.y) * 2 - 1, zOverW, 1);
    52.                 // Transform by the view-projection inverse.
    53.                 float4 D = mul(_inverseViewProjectionMatrix , H);
    55.                 // Divide by w to get the world position.
    56.                 float4 worldPos = D / D.w;
    60.                 // Current viewport position
    61.                 float4 currentPos = H;
    63.                 // Use the world position, and transform by the previous view-
    64.                 // projection matrix.
    65.                 float4 previousPos = mul(_previousViewProjectionMatrix , worldPos);
    67.                 // Convert to nonhomogeneous points [-1,1] by dividing by w.
    68.                 previousPos /= previousPos.w;
    70.                 // Use this frame's position and last frame's to compute the pixel
    71.                 // velocity.
    72.                 _intensity = clamp(_intensity , 0.0 , 1.0);
    73.                 float2 velocity = (currentPos - previousPos)*_intensity;
    78.                 // Get the initial color at this pixel.
    79.                 float4 finalColor = tex2D(_MainTex, texCoord);
    80.                 texCoord += velocity;
    81.                 int numSamples = 10;
    82.                 for(int i = 1; i < numSamples; ++i, texCoord += velocity)
    83.                 {
    84.                     // Sample the color buffer along the velocity vector.
    85.                 //    float2 offset = velocity * (float(i) / float(numSamples - 1) - 0.5);
    86.                     float4 currentColor = tex2D(_MainTex, texCoord);
    88.                     // Add the current color to our color sum.
    89.                     finalColor += currentColor;
    90.                 }
    92.                 // Average all of the samples to get the final blur color.
    93.                 finalColor = finalColor / numSamples;
    94.                 return finalColor;
    95.                 //return float4(zOverW , zOverW , zOverW , 1.0);
    97.             }
    98.             ENDCG
    99.         }
    100.     }
    101.     FallBack "Diffuse"
    102. }
    Code (csharp):
    1. #pragma strict
    3. //@script RequireComponent (IndieEffects)
    4. @script AddComponentMenu ("Indie Effects/MotionBlurCamera")
    6. var IndieEffects : IndieEffects;
    7. var _Depth : _Depth;
    9. private var blurMat : Material;
    10. var blurShader : Shader;
    11. //@range(0.0, 0.005)
    12. var intensity : float = 0.001;
    14. private var previousViewProjectionMatrix : Matrix4x4;
    15. //var mvp : Matrix4x4 = transform.localToWorldMatrix * cam.worldToCameraMatrix * cam.projectionMatrix;
    17. function Start () {
    19.     IndieEffects = transform.GetComponent("IndieEffects");
    20.     _Depth = transform.GetComponent("_Depth");
    21.     blurMat = new Material(blurShader);
    22.     previousViewProjectionMatrix = _Depth.DepthCam.camera.projectionMatrix * _Depth.DepthCam.camera.worldToCameraMatrix;
    24. }
    26. function Update () {
    28. }
    30. function OnPostRender () {
    32.     var viewProjection : Matrix4x4 = _Depth.DepthCam.camera.projectionMatrix * _Depth.DepthCam.camera.worldToCameraMatrix;
    33.     var inverseViewProjection : Matrix4x4 = viewProjection.inverse;
    36.     blurMat.SetMatrix("_inverseViewProjectionMatrix" , inverseViewProjection);
    37.     blurMat.SetMatrix("_previousViewProjectionMatrix" , previousViewProjectionMatrix);
    39.     blurMat.SetFloat("_intensity", intensity);
    41.     blurMat.SetTexture("_MainTex", IndieEffects.renderTexture);
    42.     blurMat.SetTexture("_CameraDepthTexture", _Depth.DepthTex);
    46.     FullScreenQuad(blurMat);
    48.     previousViewProjectionMatrix = viewProjection;
    49. }

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  33. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Here is some theory to help with per-object motion blur: in the article, they state that making a vector map helps in achieving the per-object motion blur by looking for all differences in the image, then applying blur accordingly. i was thinking of maybe using a difference function or something to compare two depth textures, (one of them would be the previous one) and for each pixel difference, a velocity number could then be generated for each pixel, then stored in a vector map, which is later used to decide which pixels to blur based on the vectors. would mean though that the object wouldn't exactly be motion blurred... it be more like mobile blur or something like that.

@ex3me: I just realized something: does your computer support shader model 3.0? if not, then unfortunately, these effects are useless on your machine... :(

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  34. ex3me

ex3me

Pretty sure it does, I've checked in one of my testing projects (AA still doesn't seem to be working), but motion blur was in build, so it gotta be something I have in the first project. Deffinetly not missing shaders, I've included them manually in build, but still not doing the trick.

If my PC wouldn't support 3.0 shaders, the effects wouldn't be working at all though, would they? Not even in the editor.

I haven't had time to check what it might be causing, but I have some plugins in project, so there might be incompability there. I'll check them one by one and let you know if I come to some conclusion :)

35. 0tacun

0tacun

Yes, the problem with two depth textures will probably be that you can't calculate where the position of the vertex moved between the previous and current one. In this implemention only the projection matrix of the camera was taken into account. But what is probably needed is to have the model matrices of every gameobject. I found in the Unity documents:

For this I found a promising blog article: http://masaakimakesgames.blogspot.de/2013/12/motion-blur-in-unity-part-2-modelview.html

36. Gogin

Gogin

Guys? :) Can you upload a scene with these effect, I am not still getting how I can use them perfectly :)

37. homer_3

homer_3

After importing I got the error "Fatal Error: type == kMetaAssetType pathName.find("library/metadata") != 0" every time I tried to open my project. I'm guessing the asset only works in Unity 4.x, but your opening post doesn't say that anywhere.

38. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Everyone! A new motion blur implementation is coming!

Yes, you heard right: Thanks to 0tacun's coding prowess, there may be a motion blur similar to camera blurring coming soon! I will also hopefully have the Fake HDR finished too, so keep your ears open!

@gogin: Sorry about that, if you want an example setup, then i will upload screenshot or unity scene for you. typing from my chromium laptop right now however, so can't do this yet.

@0tacun: FINALLY! I was looking for a way to use a model matrix! And that article does look promising! BTW, I found out a Catch-22 problem with my porting expertise: I can port C# to Javascript (DEAD EASY) But i can't go the other way. And... I'm babbling. :p

@ex3me: Actually, the motion blur uses raw shaderLab code, so that shouldn't be a problem. are you able to send in a screenshot of your setup? That would be great if you can do so, as that helps in solving your problem. In the meantime, i will upload a screenshot soon of an example setup with AA and Motion Blur.

BTW, does any of your plugins attempt to render to the screen? that might be your problem, as there are other (paid) effects for free options out there that may conflict with this effects package.

39. ex3me

ex3me

Hum setup of what? Other plugins I mentioned don't create any effects, they are mostly shaders for terrain and such, though I'd have to check to be sure.

40. Gogin

Gogin

Yes, scene with for example 5 controllers (first person controllers) with different mix of effects. It will be helpful for everyone who started with unity like me.

41. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@ex3me: Oh, I meant a screenie showing how you set the effects up. make sure all componenets have been expanded before taking it, so i can look at the image carefully.

@Gogin: Could you explain further? It sounds like you are trying to apply the effects to a game using split-screen multi-player, in which a new feature is coming soon that will help set this up better. Currently though, this fx package has no support for split-screen, but if you need support now, try contacting 0tacun for his code - hegot split-screen working with these fx!

@homer_3: which version of Unity do you use? if it's 3.5, I never had the 3.5 cycle, so this fx pack won't work with it, unfortunately.

42. ex3me

ex3me

Well it's virtually just what you saw in the screen I already posted before, don't have any other effects posted on camera (other components there are just things that are on camera by default). Well there's one more script of my own, but that's camera controller script for orbit cam, which doesn't use any shaders, virtually just takes care of smoothing and such. Not sure that's much of a help to you :/

I've been adding and deleting your effects from camera few times (as I've been doing to camera itself), so it's really just default setting, without messing with parameters, in order they should be (base first, AA after that).

I'm gonna try to set up different effect, see how they behave, maybe that will shed some light on situation?

43. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@ex3me: what's your unity version? if it isn't 4.3.4, then that might be the problem. someone else had a worse problem due to this being prevelant, so if you want a .zip version of the pack instead, then that i can do easy. Means though that the shaders might not be assigned automatically however. BTW, if you posted a screenie, i didn't see it, can't find one anywhere here...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  44. mrgohut

mrgohut

How can i use it ? I all the time add e.g. AA and i have all the time white screen, that same with blur or something else, any solution ? ;/

45. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

When using these effects, make sure the base script (named "IndieEffecsBase") is there in your language of choice, otherwise, the other scripts won't work. if you have the base added already, i have no idea what the problem could be! if you don't want motion blur, this is integrated into the base script as an on-off toggle, so you can easily turn it off.

46. ex3me

ex3me

This was the one I meant

$camera.png

If you have something else on your mind, lemme know and I'll post it. I run Unity 4.3.4f1, but if you think putting scripts in from zip file rather than through unity package might help, send it over, I don't mind setting up shaders manually. More so, I'll try to get you the screenshot of how the build looks like this weeks, hopefully it will help some.

47. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, that should work. maybe Berenger ported the C# version wrong. I will have a look into it...

BTW, 4.3.4 is latest, so you shouldn't have any probs at all! again, i will look into the C# ports to see if there is obvious problems there. If possible, try using the JS versions and see what happens.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  48. mrgohut

mrgohut

hmmm JS scripts works fine for me (only JS)

49. Berenger

Berenger

I hope I didn't F*** things up. I'll check when I get back home tonight.

50. ex3me

ex3me

Tested JS and you are right, it works. Awesome stuff :) Though I have all my scripts in C# so if you guys could make magic happen there as well, that would be even better :)
    Thanks for all the help!