Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

IndieEffects: Bringing (almost) AAA quality Post-Process FX to Unity Indie

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FuzzyQuills, Sep 2, 2013.

1. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

i would love to see a sharpen effect!

2. Lemo76

Lemo76

@FuzzyQuills
    Looking forward to seeing more Image FX.
    About SSAO, quite some time ago I made a few loading screen renders for my game, Bay-6.
    Here is an example:
    $Render Loading - c04.jpg
    I wanted to use the actual style from the renders into an online game in the future but I never understood what I could use until
    stumbling upon the SSAO effect which could add/isolate Ambient Occlusion.
    So yeah, I'm looking forward to all things in the future :)
    I check this forum frequently.

-EDIT Looking forward to seeing what you can do with AO.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  3. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@edux404: you are welcome!

@Lemo76: I do know what AO is, but nice example! I was investigating the issue of AO a while ago, and realised that i could try it by dropping a Normal Map on the camera! Now time to put theory into practice!

EDIT: ok, i have built a primitive _normals extension! expect to see results soon!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  4. TeknoSoft GAME

TeknoSoft GAME

Hi, I have a problem with Indie Effects, but it does not throw the error shows me a blank screen and pulling me in other mistake. Pongo screenshots for you to see :)
    PS: I have the latest version of Unity 3D. $error2.png $Error1.png

5. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@TeknoSoft GAME: Oh, you haven't got IndieEffects.js added to your camera! Simply add the script, (and turn off the motion blur if you don't want it) and it should work fine. I am going to release a new version that fixes this bug (Normally, an indieEffects script auto-adds the base script if it isn't there...)

Oh, and BTW, nice game! what is it?

6. TeknoSoft GAME

TeknoSoft GAME

Hello, my nick I have to change because I was director at the issues and nobody wanted to do anything and I was the only one that I closed to him, I am now as Vice-Director Oxiangel Studios. This is a new game in which you are working, so good XD.
    I like your effects and is good for the community to support :)
    PD: I'm using the google translator (English is lousy i XD), I'm from Uruguay.

7. guilhermeouriques

guilhermeouriques

Great work Fuzzy, thank you for sharing.

It looks very good in editor, but I can't make it work in my Android game. When I run the game nothing happens, the effects just doesn't "play". I would appreciate any help you can give me.

8. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@guilhermeouriques: OK... I haven't run into this issue before! If you could upload the APK, that would be great, since i already know, despite the really bad lag, that it works on my android tablet nonetheless!

9. Johanna

Johanna

Hey FuzzyQuills, thank you very much for your Indie-Effects-Package! I did not use any effects before and I wonder if I can use the motion blur partially on the screen. I want to rotate two colors on the screen and get them mixed by their motion. This works wonderful with your motion blur, but also all other motions are affected. Is there a possibility to reduce the effect on one or several spots on the screen?

Kind regards,
    Johanna

10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Johanna: unfortunately, until i find a way of building a layer-based vector map for more realistic motion blur, i am afraid not, as my current motion blur interpretation uses alpha blending to make the screen streak like it does. If anyone around here knows how to build vector maps, your help is greatly appreciated! If i had an approach like this, the layering you're asking for would be possible.

@propeller: I actually have no idea how sharpen filters work, and at the moment, i am working on bringing SSAO to this package, so your request, although accepted, could take a while to show up...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  11. guilhermeouriques

guilhermeouriques

@FuzzyQuills: I reimported your package and it worked. Maybe it was something I did with the files and folders.
    And yes, my mobile is struggling. Without the effect the game runs at 60 fps and with motion blur the fps drops to 8~9. But it's ok, I will try to make some changes to see if I can get better fps.

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

lag on mobile is to be expected unfortunately, as my tablet did the same. What's your tablet model? If anyone can get a hold of a Nexus 7 to test this package with, that would be great.

13. guilhermeouriques

guilhermeouriques

I'm testing on my phone Motorola Razr D3. That function renderTexture.ReadPixels is destroying the fps :|

14. 0tacun

0tacun

Yes it is. Your only chance is to reduce the resolution. ReadPixels() is perhaps the only chance to enable ImageEffects in UnityIndie, I'm not so sure how other assets solve this problem.

15. kokkorollo

kokkorollo

I've tryied this effect on mobile, but also if Base script is added to camera, with no effect at all the framerate is soo low (1-4 fps on galaxy s4).
    there is something i can do to make this effects work on mobile?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  16. hubbyo9

hubbyo9

My vert count keeps jumping to 1 million and my fps drops to 15 fps from 75. Anything I can do to fix this?

17. Berenger

Berenger

Keep in mind that this script is rendering on screen, then capturing the screen into a texture and then redisplaying the texture with manipulations. This process is quite heavy, particularly the texture part (Check the doc for the apply function).

Unfortunately, I don't really see anyway around in the free version of Unity. There probably is room for optimisation of course, but ultimatly the limitations of the free version will kick in.

18. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@hubbyo9: Give me a good look at your scene sir. You might have a problem with your scene, not this package! If you are using a terrain, this can explain the weird FPS drop, as these effects are designed for games using pre-built meshes. (haven't tried manual procedural mesh generation yet though...) Terrains are very notorious at slowing these effects down, so if your game absolutely requires terrain for the game experience, try to lower the draw calls as this is what is causing the FPS drops.

@0tacun guilhermeouriques: The ReadPixels operation is one way of doing it. Aubergine did a similar approach with shader replacement, but that only affects meshes, not the whole image. FXLab's uses their own version of a RenderTexture, called an FXtexture, but I don't know how those are generated, so there's that. And my effects are designed to squeeze as much performance as possible out of anyone's game, so yes, if someone find's a faster way, go ahead and post!

@kokkorollo: I have been gathering results on mobile performance and so far, most people are reporting lag on mobile, and ReadPixels is the problem, it is simply not fast enough on mobile to work reliably enough for a high framerate. In other words, this will only work on PCs I'm afraid :( If anyone knows a platform these effects work on also, please let me know!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  19. Berenger

Berenger

Is it really ReadPixels ? In my experience, Apply is the problematic one. But as they go together, doesn't really matter anyway.

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Berenger: yes, Apply is the real issue here, as reading the screen buffer doesn't actually take any time at all. it's apply that slows mobile gpus from the looks of it.

2017 edit: This guys is due to GPU bandwidth, most phones at the time of this post lacked it, thus this process was slow.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  21. guilhermeouriques

guilhermeouriques

I think it is the ReadPixels because I made this command skip some frames and the fps was much better, even with the Apply being done in every frame. I tried the other way skipping frames only in the Apply function, and the fps didn't improved.

Anyway, I found this article http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Alex...creating_Unity_Pro_Features_in_Unity_Free.php and it says that ReadPixels is CPU-driven function in Unity Free unfortunately :sad:.

22. hubbyo9

hubbyo9

The only thing that the scene has is a few hundred asteroid objects and a space ship. It is probably the asteroids that are making it lag. anything I can do to solve this?

23. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

by the looks of things, "a few hundred asteroids" could bring down the frame rate, depending on how high the polygon count on each asteroid is. if possible, try lowering the poly-count on your prefabs and see what happens. and watch the draw calls: anything over 400 is guaranteed to cause lag with these effects!

24. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok guys, new package uploaded! This version is more like a nightly build, rather than a complete version.

Current changes:
    • AA White screen bug fixed. Now the script should auto-add the base for you.
    • _Normal Extension added to the list. note that the normals are stored based on color.
    • new blurring algorithm for ImageBloom Effect
    • the beloved StarBloom shader makes a return!
    • Depth Of Field has a new blurring algorithm also, and has more of a "streaky" appearance.

Current issues:
    • ImageBloom effect is not quite finalized, so if it doesn't work, don't complain, i am working on it.
    • Ambient Occlusion missing from package. this effect isn't in a useable form yet...
    • DoF has now got an obvious barrier where the blurring stops. This i am working on.
    • C# port isn't up to date. I will contact berenger on this soon.

Enjoy my somewhat incomplete version! if anyone can help with making this better, please do! And those dying for a DepthNormals texture now has a new extension to play with!

25. Ngoadam123

Ngoadam123

Could you maybe put up a download for a project as an example? I can't seem to get it to work.

26. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Ngoadam123: There is a setup guide in the MANUAL.RTF file you can refer to. Note that the base is always required. And i forgot to add one more thing to the debug release list: the motion blur is broken, so to use the other effects, turn it off, otherwise you get black screen!

If you really want me to, i can build an example scene for this. PM me if you still can't get this to work as it should. and again, the motion blur is broken.

EDIT: just fixed it. the shader needed a rewrite. Will upload changes soon.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  27. Lemo76

Lemo76

With some of my projects, the GodRays wasn't working with the old version but now with this version, it works on all of my projects.
    Keep working on fixing the bugs and the Starbloom works amazingly fast. With DoF, I did notice in my other project that the Blur had this sudden cutoff at a stage, so add a falloff to it.
    Can you please elaborate on what you mean by 'Ambient Occlusion is in an unusable form?'.
    I'm quite curious as to what you mean by that.

I'm loving the latest updates!

28. 0tacun

0tacun

Just wanted to show some simple pro-shaders used with this ImageEffects pack:

Greyscale:
    $gray.jpg

$sincity2.jpg

Outline (color based):
    $outline.jpg

I just changed the input for the shaders based on the Indie Blur effect. For example:

Grayscale effect:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #pragma strict
    3. //@script RequireComponent (IndieEffects)
    4. @script AddComponentMenu ("Indie Effects/Greyscale")
    6. var IndieEffects : IndieEffects;
    7. var textureRamp : Texture2D;
    8. var rampOffset : float;
    9. private var blurMat : Material;
    10. var greyScaleShader : Shader;
    12. function Start () {
    14.     IndieEffects = transform.GetComponent("IndieEffects");
    15.     blurMat = new Material(greyScaleShader);
    16. }
    18. function Update () {
    19.     blurMat.SetTexture("_MainTex", IndieEffects.renderTexture);
    20.     blurMat.SetTexture("_RampTex", textureRamp);
    21.     blurMat.SetFloat("_RampOffset", rampOffset);
    22. }
    24. function OnPostRender () {
    25.     FullScreenQuad(blurMat);
    26. }

Outline:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #pragma strict
    4. @script AddComponentMenu ("Indie Effects/Outline")
    7. var treshold : float;
    8. private var blurMat : Material;
    9. var outlineShader : Shader;
    11. function Start () {
    13.     IndieEffects = transform.GetComponent("IndieEffects");
    14.     blurMat = new Material(outlineShader);
    15. }
    17. function Update () {
    18.     blurMat.SetTexture("_MainTex", IndieEffects.renderTexture);
    19.     blurMat.SetFloat("_Treshold", treshold);
    20. }
    22. function OnPostRender () {
    23.     FullScreenQuad(blurMat);
    24. }
    Note: I use an old version of the IndieEffects and a little modified version (droped Import IndieEffects). So drag and drop in your project will probably not work.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  29. Seth-McCumber

Seth-McCumber

Amazing job! Greyscale is an effect ive been wanting for a while!

30. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Seth McCumber: you're back! anyway, there have ben big developments underfoot lately so stay tuned!

@0tacun: Nice work! I saw your PMs by the way, and someone did ask for edge detection at some point (was that you? actually it was! *facepalm*)

I will happily port this if need be. and thanks for this, this is one of the largest contributions i have had in a while.

@Lemo76: i mean the AO isn't finished yet, and my previous attempt ended with a weird looking weather report...

As for DoF, i have been trying to add a falloff forever. i am still working on it!

EDIT: I now have a falloff, but it broke the F-Stop...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  31. 0tacun

0tacun

now I understand what you mean! :)

$SSAO.jpg

I don't know if the shader doesn't work or the depth texture is wrong. But it doesn't really look like it... I noticed when I change the divider 150 from half4 d = i.depth.x / 150; in the DepthTexture.shader the lines become wider or narrower. Could you explain what it does?

For someone with more knowledge than me:

ssao form here: http://www.theorangeduck.com/page/pure-depth-ssao

Code (csharp):
    1. Shader "Custom/SSAOTest" {
    2.     Properties {
    3.         _MainTex ("Base (RGB)", 2D) = "white" {}
    4.         _DepthTextureSampler("Depth Texture", 2D) = "black" {}
    5.         _RandomTextureSampler("Random Texture", 2D) = "grey" {}
    6.     }
    11.     SubShader {
    12.         Cull Off ZWrite Off
    13.         pass {
    14. //      blend One SrcColor
    15.             CGPROGRAM
    17.             #include "UnityCG.cginc"
    18.             #pragma vertex vert
    19.             #pragma fragment ps_ssao
    20.             #pragma target 3.0
    22.             sampler2D _MainTex;
    23.             sampler2D _DepthTextureSampler;
    24.             sampler2D _RandomTextureSampler;
    26.             struct v2f {
    27.                 float4 pos : POSITION;
    28.                 float2 uv : TEXCOORD0;
    29.             };
    31.             v2f vert (appdata_img v)
    32.             {
    33.                 v2f o;
    35.                 o.pos = mul (UNITY_MATRIX_MVP, v.vertex);
    37.                 o.uv = v.texcoord.xy;
    39.                 return o;
    40.             }
    42.             float3 normal_from_depth(float depth, float2 texcoords) {
    43.                 const float2 offset1 = float2(0.0,0.001);
    44.                 const float2 offset2 = float2(0.001,0.0);
    46.                 float depth1 = tex2D(_DepthTextureSampler, texcoords + offset1).r;
    47.                 float depth2 = tex2D(_DepthTextureSampler, texcoords + offset2).r;
    49.                 float3 p1 = float3(offset1, depth1 - depth);
    50.                 float3 p2 = float3(offset2, depth2 - depth);
    52.                 float3 normal = cross(p1, p2);
    53.                 normal.z = -normal.z;
    55.                 return normalize(normal);
    56.             }
    61.             float4 ps_ssao(v2f In) : COLOR
    62.             {
    63.                 float4 Output;
    65.                 const float total_strength = 1.0;
    66.                 const float base = 0.2;
    68.                 const float area = 0.0075;
    69.                 //const float area = 2.75;
    71.                 const float falloff = 0.000001;
    73.                 const float radius = 0.0002;
    75.                 const int samples = 16;
    76.                 const float3 sample_sphere[16] = {
    77.                     float3( 0.5381, 0.1856,-0.4319), float3( 0.1379, 0.2486, 0.4430),
    78.                     float3( 0.3371, 0.5679,-0.0057), float3(-0.6999,-0.0451,-0.0019),
    79.                     float3( 0.0689,-0.1598,-0.8547), float3( 0.0560, 0.0069,-0.1843),
    80.                     float3(-0.0146, 0.1402, 0.0762), float3( 0.0100,-0.1924,-0.0344),
    81.                     float3(-0.3577,-0.5301,-0.4358), float3(-0.3169, 0.1063, 0.0158),
    82.                     float3( 0.0103,-0.5869, 0.0046), float3(-0.0897,-0.4940, 0.3287),
    83.                     float3( 0.7119,-0.0154,-0.0918), float3(-0.0533, 0.0596,-0.5411),
    84.                     float3( 0.0352,-0.0631, 0.5460), float3(-0.4776, 0.2847,-0.0271)
    85.                     };
    87.                 float3 random = normalize( tex2D(_RandomTextureSampler, In.uv/*In.Tex0 * 4.0)*/).rgb );
    89.                 float depth = tex2D(_DepthTextureSampler, In.uv).r;
    91.                 float3 position = float3(In.uv, depth);
    92.                 float3 normal = normal_from_depth(depth, In.uv);
    94.                 float radius_depth = radius/depth;
    95.                 float occlusion = 0.0;
    97.                 for(int i=0; i < samples; i++) {
    98.                     float3 ray = radius_depth * reflect(sample_sphere[i], random);
    99.                     float3 hemi_ray = position + sign(dot(ray,normal)) * ray;
    101.                     float occ_depth = tex2D(_DepthTextureSampler, saturate(hemi_ray.xy)).r;
    102.                     float difference = depth - occ_depth;
    104.                     occlusion += step(falloff, difference) * (1.0-smoothstep(falloff, area, difference));
    105.                 }
    107.                 float ao = 1.0 - total_strength * occlusion * (1.0 / samples);
    108.                 Output.rgb = saturate(ao + base);
    110.                 return Output;
    111.             }
    113.             ENDCG
    114.         }
    115.     }
    116. }

SSAOTest.js:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #pragma strict
    4. @script AddComponentMenu ("Indie Effects/SSAOTest")
    8. var mainTex : Texture2D;
    9. var depthTex : Texture2D;
    10. var randTex : Texture2D;
    13. private var materialAO : Material;
    14. var shaderAO : Shader;
    20. function Start () {
    22.     IndieEffects = transform.GetComponent("IndieEffects");
    23.     materialAO = new Material(shaderAO);
    24. }
    26. function Update () {
    27.     mainTex = IndieEffects.renderTexture;
    28.     depthTex = DepthTex;
    29.     materialAO.SetTexture("_MainTex", mainTex);
    30.     materialAO.SetTexture("_DepthTextureSampler", depthTex);
    31.     materialAO.SetTexture("_RandomTextureSampler", randTex);
    32. }
    34. function OnPostRender () {
    35.     FullScreenQuad(materialAO);
    37. }

32. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Yep, that's what i got. I hit you back on the PM, thanks for the shaders! Like i said in my reply, i will see how this goes, and see if i can port your linked files! And as for our weather report, that shader did look like one for cryengine when i looked at it... ah well! for that divider, that is to make sure the depth has a far enough clipping plane so that distant objects aren't blotted out!

EDIT: I remembered something: I got falloff on depth of field! which means there is no longer a cutoff line! This ended up breaking the F-Stop variable though, so I have to fix that.

-FuzzyQuills

33. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

That is great. Will we be able to set the falloff amount?

34. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Not quite. this is because i used the Lerp(a,b,c) function for the falloff. I tried brightening and darkening the depth tex, but this came up weird... Anyone know how to actually do brightness adjustment?

35. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok guys. i found a paper on what looks like another ambient occlusion algorithm that could work, so keep your ears open!

@0tacun: I found a link to your ninja game in your signature, so i decided to try it. I also opted in your poll for both split-screen and online multiplayer, like Mario Kart.

EDIT: Just played it, nice work! It would be better to have a better walking pace though... Anyway, which bloom effect did you use? I don't remember making a bloom effect THAT GOOD!

EDIT2: Which shader is the Outline one? I can't find it!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  36. 0tacun

0tacun

Thank you for your feedback! You played an old version, I have already changed the walking speed, he moved truely more like an old ninja ;) I will somewhen upload a new version to check if it is better.
    The Bloom effect is yours! Unmodified luminance version, the one you uploaded the first time with the _depth extension. I like it also very much, good work!

The outline shader is called "EdgeDetectX"

$ssao2.jpg

I got the SSAOTest shader somehow working. The depthTexture values distribution was probably wrong, I calculated it correctly with this formula http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-buffering#Mathematics. It could be still wrong, because your normal depth texture looks correct. I just don't know. Also I used different values in the SSAOshader:

Strength: 1
    Base: 0.2
    Area: 0.4
    Falloff: 0.02
    Radius 0.04

It is very noisy and there are a lot of mis calcuation, but it is an start! Bluring the ao texture would propably help a lot.

EDIT: I have somehow a feeling that the result is totally wrong

$ssao4.jpg

other settings:
    Strength: 1
    Base: 0
    Area: 0.035
    Falloff: 0.01
    Radius 0.025

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  37. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

HOLY COW! You must send these results to me! And the AO looks ok, definitely better than the weather report i got...

Anyway, I wouldn't mind if you uploaded the new _Depth extension. the depth values should have been correct, as Unity pro's depth textures are done in a similar method to what i used. And for blurring the AO, i can do that. just adding another pass should work for this. And i had no idea I played an old version of your game! (it's the windows standalone i used since the webplayer can lag in my browser)

38. 0tacun

0tacun

Just send it to you, I totally forgot :) I'm curious how the AO will look when blured. Maybe you can improve this AO Solution! Regarding my game: I haven't uploaded a new version, thats why ;) Currently adding some stuff, I will inform you when the new version is out to gain feedback from you!

39. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

My problem: It won't go on my PC. the AO isn't there: Instead, i get either a black or rainbow screen.

40. tomspom

tomspom

I have no idea how to turn on private messages. I'd like a demo scene showing how to use this asset.

41. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Does everyone seriously want a demo scene. OK! Wish granted! I have a perfect scene to use for you guys! Not that i can post it yet as i am typing from my Ubuntu Laptop.

42. 0tacun

0tacun

Hmm mysterious...

You do have shader modell 3, don't you? Is the renderTexture correctly passed? Or the noise texture? For the noise I used a random vector texture, which I found in the Pro assets I think.

43. Gogin

Gogin

Hi FuzzyQuills,

I tried these scripts in test mode where works fine, but if I am going to build it I got nothing ...

I got 2 errors -
    $1.png
    $2.png

I even import these shaders in project graphics for sure

44. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@0tacun: Everything is as you gave it to me and i have shader model 3. I also found that the rainbow seems to change to a black screen when i move my camera around a bit. i also found that enabling depth of field at the same time gives a weirder result: The screen is stretched as if the bottom corner is being captured, then stretched across the screen. Bottom line: no Ambient Occlusion!

I also realized something: aren't you using a modded version of my script? This could be the cause as i am obviously using the vanilla version of it. So uploading your version could be a big help to this problem

@Gogin: Sorry to put this to you, but the motion blur is currently broken: It is fixed in my current build, and will be uploaded soon. As for your nullReferenceException, check if a shader is even assigned: this will throw the error!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  45. Walter86

Walter86

hello, fantastic work, congrats! I have a problem: when I use motion blur my screen gets much darker. I read above I should check if I have "gamma" and not "linear", and I have it, so this is not the problem. Can it be something else? Thanks :)

46. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Walter86: Oh, yes. people have been reporting this problem and it is because the release you just downloaded is a debug test, and the motion blur was broken. I am uploading a new version soon to fix it! :D

And sorry for not stating this above: I didn't get time to fix bugs as people wanted to have falloff on depth of field. And you can probably guess what happened next...

47. Walter86

Walter86

That was a fast answer, thanks :). Ok, I'm looking forward for the update. It's really cool what you did, thanks again ^^

48. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I am a frequent forum checker, as i value my customer support quality. so don't fret if i don't answer right away! I assure you i will answer any of your questions within the next 24 hours! (except under special circumstances...)

49. Gogin

Gogin

When will you upload the new effects? :) Btw man, you are cool! :) Thx

50. 0tacun

0tacun

@FuzzyQuills:
    Indeed i'm using a modified Version as I stated in my previous posts. I dropped the static rendertexture approuch as I needed multiple rendertextures for different cameras. With this package splitscreen setups ara possible.

Here is the link: https://db.tt/Hp0lCLwv

Please note that the depth texture is still static and currently doesn't work with splitscreen.