Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

IndieEffects: Bringing (almost) AAA quality Post-Process FX to Unity Indie

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FuzzyQuills, Sep 2, 2013.

1. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@krakov: So the shader errors happen to yours too? looks like I'm not the only one around here then. BTW, good luck with your blur effect! like to see how it turns out! :)

A note to anyone: If you plan to use these effects in a game, tell me how it performs! I wouldn't mind seeing my effects in a real world project!

2. Tryder

Tryder

Too bad the bloom shader isn't working for you two, I'm working on a version that might fix your D3D errors. I'm working on Unity version 4.2.1f4 by the way. When you combine the star bloom, bloom and color balance shaders together you can achieve some really nice professional quality post production effects.

Personally I think that the color balance shader is the most useful, it's pretty quick and you can turn night:

Into day by just changing three colors, and you can do this in real time:

3. Tryder

Tryder

4. Grafphical One

Grafphical One

Is there any thing unity indie users can't accomplish?!!

Thanks for your contributions to the entire community TheBlur and Tryder.

My only problem is that for some reason when I attach the image effects script to my camera and turn motion blur on, the screen turns pink.

Its like the quads aren't getting their materials. Am I doing some thing wrong?

5. chelnok

chelnok

Thanks! Nice work TheBlur! I think i actually understand now, how these fx can be done in indie. And thank you too Tryder! Epic thread indeed <3

6. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Grafphical One: You are welcome. as for your pink screen problem, it means the shader for some reason isn't assigned. to fix this, just go to the image effects script, and assign the "motion Blur (alpha-blended)" shader, and it should work fine.

@chelnok: You are welcome, too, and good work spotting my secret! (that is, how it's done!). If you want to make a contribution too, just let me know!

@Tryder: That sounds cool! Now onto making sure the shader actually works...

EDIT: Those shader errors are haunting my computer again. i think the problem lies in how the shaders compute the bloom (of course, this is only just a guess) It could also be the count++ variable, which i removed once, and it stopped the errors (of course, though, the shader didn't work...)

EDIT2: Just realized something: why not try and combine the color balance and star bloom shaders? Oh, and BTW, I'm running Unity 4.2.2f1, could this be the problem?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  7. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

8. Tryder

Tryder

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  9. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Tryder: The shader compiled without errors for ONCE! Thanks! But because there is no bloom yet, I will tweak the alpha blending to actually have the bloom show through. Once I am done, I will post a screenshot! And last of all, thanks for everything, Tryder!

EDIT: After all the trouble, all the shader problems... THE BLOOM SHADER IS READY!!! ;)

Here is a link to two screenshots for those interested. A new webplayer Package will be posted shortly.

Original:
    LINK

Result:
    LINK

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

ATTENTION INDIE DEVS: New Package Webplayer Uploaded! Enjoy!

New Effects:

Bloom Star Bloom. You can thank Tryder for this as he is the one who wrote these shaders! (The bloom shaders were also tweaked by me, to actually give a bloom effect!)

11. Seth-McCumber

Seth-McCumber

Any Plans On Putting This Up Free On The Asset Store?

12. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thank you guys very much for these effects. The bloom is epic.:eek:

I'm having a problem with the performance though. I know it's probably unavoidable but when I use any of the effects my frame rate drops to single digits.
    I know Unity pro effects are also very costly.

13. Tryder

Tryder

I'm trying to fix the Blur shader the same way I fixed the D3D errors in the Bloom shader, but for some reason it's crashing Unity.

This works, but with D3D errors on some systems:
    Code (csharp):
    1. half4 fragV (v2f i) : COLOR
    2.     {
    4.         float4 col = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv);
    5.         int radius = 10;
    6.         int count = 0;
    7.         float4 newCol;
    8.         newCol.rgb = (0, 0, 0);
    9.         for (int pix = 0; pix < radius; pix ++) {
    11.             float2 uvOff = float2(_MainTex_TexelSize.x, 0.0) * pix;
    12.             if (i.uv.x + uvOff.x <= 1.0) {
    13.                 newCol += tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv + uvOff);
    14.                 count ++;
    15.             }
    16.             if (i.uv.x - uvOff.x >= 0.0) {
    17.                 newCol += tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv - uvOff);
    18.                 count ++;
    19.             }
    21.         }
    23.         newCol = (newCol + col) / (count + 1);
    25.         return newCol;
    26.     }
    This fixed the D3D errors on the Bloom shader, but fixing the blur shader in this manner causes Unity to crash while compiling the shader:
    Code (csharp):
    1. half4 fragV (v2f i) : COLOR
    2.     {
    4.         float4 col = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv);
    5.         int radius = 10;
    6.         int count = 0;
    7.         float4 newCol;
    8.         newCol.rgb = (0, 0, 0);
    9.         for (int pix = 0; pix < radius; pix ++) {
    11.             float2 uvOff = float2(_MainTex_TexelSize.x, 0.0) * pix;
    12.             float4 tmpCol = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv + uvOff);
    13.             if (i.uv.x + uvOff.x <= 1.0) {
    14.                 newCol += tmpCol;
    15.                 count ++;
    16.             }
    18.             tmpCol = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv - uvOff);
    19.             if (i.uv.x - uvOff.x >= 0.0) {
    20.                 newCol += tmpCol
    21.                 count ++;
    22.             }
    24.         }
    26.         newCol = (newCol + col) / (count + 1);
    28.         return newCol;
    29.     }

14. Tryder

Tryder

In order to achieve these effects in the free version of Unity TheBlur had to use some rather cycle hungry functions, namely Texture2D.Apply(). I imagine in Unity Pro you can probably avoid using Texture2D.Apply() and save a lot of time.

Costly amounts to what you do with the time available to you. While the post processing effects in Unity Pro might save on rendering time, you have to imagine what one must do with their other time in order to afford Unity Pro. Either way you're spending a lot of time on something.

P.S. For what is it that can be in infinite supply, yet there's never enough?

15. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I understand why it uses so much resources. I was just wondering because it runs a lot faster in the demo than in my scenes. Probably the lower resolution. By costly I meant in performance. I used the 30 day Unity pro version and the bloom was harsh on the frame rate.

The star bloom is really impressive. Just for fun I made a meteorite particle effect. I figured it would look awesome with the star bloom. The rock flies down, on fire of course, and explodes on collision. It was fun to watch. Here are a few pics.

$Bloom_Test1.png

$Bloom_Test2.png

I love how the star bloom, with a much lower threshold, even makes the stars in the skybox glow. Makes the scene more enjoyable.

16. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Baldinoboy: any chance of a webplayer? That looks AWESOME!

@Tryder: Just fixed up the shader, now onto applying the edge bleed...

17. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Sure. It will probably take a while to upload though.

By the way I just found out what was causing that problem with your package. For some reason the project I was using had linear color space enabled.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  18. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Baldinoboy: Cool. And good spotting that glitch, i will post it shortly on the "current issues" list. And also, i had no idea the unity pro effects were just as harsh on frame rate (and that's with 4x faster RTs!) as mine were.

@Tryder: with the lag Baldinoboy was experiencing, this could have been because his computer was set to power saver. (this is what always causes lag on my computer!) And i suggest he use a lower resolution, for obvious reasons. As for the above answer, I am actually quite surprised, as RTs are usually faster than ReadPixels, so i learnt something new today!

19. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Here is a web player for a scene I made for fun. The star bloom and AA is what makes this scene. No sound effects or anything. Just rocks falling on a terrain. Particle effects pretty big so performance might be bad. There is a low res version in case.

Pause and resume the game with Esc. Both web players are 60.5 MB downloads. Enjoy

Meteorites With Bloom

Meteorites With Bloom low_res

20. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey TheBlur I'm just wondering if the bloom and lens flare effect uses the dept buffer. That would be a cool effect but not sure it is possible.

About the performance of pro bloom. It is probably around 2x faster. I was using a much more simple scene with the pro bloom and AA and the frame rate was around 20 fps. The scene I'm using now is more complex. With the Indie star bloom, AA, and blur the scene runs a little under 10 fps. Of course I do not have pro now. Be interesting to test the same scene.

21. Tryder

Tryder

I went ahead and created a script/shader compilation that will allow you to easily add and stack five different post processing effects. Color Balance, Star Bloom, Bloom, Motion Blur and Blur.

@TheBlur: I did not include your effects with this. I created this to be modular so you can add your scripts/shaders if you like. It's not hard to add a module to this overall package, however; I have not yet written instructions on how to do so, but I'll type something up soon. In the mean time you could probably figure it out.

Updates:
    -The Color Balance shader has been re-written and performs faster

-The Blur shader no longer thows D3D errors.

-Motion Blur is a new script/shader. I haven't actually looked at TheBlur's implementation of this, the two implementations may or may not be similar.

Download:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6BscJ4Cq-K7anJldko5eTZzcXM/edit?usp=sharing

P.S. Now that I've tried these shaders in different projects I've found that I received the same D3D errors that others did with my earlier shaders too, but for some reason I did not receive these errors when working with the shaders specifically in the Mecanim tutorial project and the shaders worked. Moreover when I tried to fix the Blur shader while working in the Mecanim tutorial project Unity would crash, but the fixed version of the shader works perfectly fine in any other project and doesn't cause D3D errors. For whatever reason I cannot use the updated Blur shader in the Mecanim tutorial, Unity will crash when trying to import it, but like I said it works perfectly fine in every other project I've tried it in.
    :confused:

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Baldinoboy: The bloom and lens flare effects don't use the depth buffer: they use color bleeding to achieve what they do. the depth buffer is apparently empty on unity indie, so unless i can fake a depth texture, DoF may take a while to make i'm afraid! but once i find a way to make a depth texture on indie, i might give it a shot.

@Tryder: This here is a PERFECT interface to integrate effects! BTW, I am now onto trying to create a fake depth texture, so everyone stay tuned!

EDIT: About the motion blur, that is way too many passes! (well compared to my shader, which uses only one pass)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  23. Tryder

Tryder

That's actually the reason I wrote this package, some of my shaders wouldn't stack with one another using your original package so I made a new one. I made this specifically for my own personal use, but figured others might like to use it too so feel free to have fun with it, like I said it's modular so you can add your own custom effects. In the inspector you'll notice that each module has a 'shader' option, leave it blank to use the default shaders I've provided, or write your own custom shader and plug it in the inspector's shader field. Or write you're own shader/class and plug them into certain areas of IndieFX.js and IndieFXEditor.js to write a completely custom effect.

This package actually went through a few revisions. The last revision was more functional and versatile, but this came at the expense of easily adding your own custom modules. In the last revision from the inspector you would've been able to create a custom stack of post processing effects, each with their own individual settings. So you could've done something like:

-Star Bloom
    -Color Balance
    -Bloom
    -Color Balance
    -Bloom

And each module had it's own unique set of options so the first color balance could've been bluish while the second reddish or whatever. It was pretty functional, but the Editor script was too complex and would've made it rather complicated to code new modules. Nonetheless I think this is a good compromise between functionality and ease of use.

P.S. The Bloom shader does 'color bleeding' yes, the same as the Blur shader. There is a difference between the two. The Bloom script first converts the rendered image to contain only colors above the selected luminance threshold, all other colors are converted to black. This new luminance image is then blurred a few times and added back to the original render using the 'Amount' selection.

The Blur shader uses the same blurring algorithm as the Bloom shader, but does not create a luminance image nor does it add anything to the original image. Instead it simply averages the color of each pixel with several surrounding pixels and does this several times.

Oh yeah, the math within the blur algorithm is ever so slightly different between the Bloom and Blur shaders.

Edit: Just re-read your question, yes the colors bleed with the Bloom shader, it's not a black and white luminance image. The Bloom shader uses the black and white luminance key to decide which pixels to make black and which pixels to leave in color.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  24. Tryder

Tryder

Now it would be really nice if, from a programming standpoint, I could render the scene in different passes. In Pro I imagine this could be done by using multiple cameras with multiple render textures. With that one could really delve into the world of image post-processing by separating elements of the scene, running various different post pro methods on the separate elements and then using the depth texture to re-combine the elements.

Or, you know, re-combine them however you'd like I suppose...

So for instance, in that case, one could run a 'bloom' algorithm on just the skybox and then add that bloom to the render of the entire scene. This would give the appearance that the sky bleeds through the background into the mid/foreground, but doesn't add any additional bloom to the rest of the scene or runs a completely different bloom process on the rest of the scene.

You could probably also run motion blur on only certain elements of the scene, such as just one or two agents rather than the whole scene.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  25. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Tryder the new bloom is really nice. I like the component interface also.

26. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Tryder: I was thinking of making a similar, but less resource-hungry motion blur shader that more mimics the Camera Motion Blur from the pro image effects - It would work like this:

* Take a texture from the first frame, then store it. repeat 4 times.
    * have the second or third frame the first drawn, then draw the first frame over it, followed by the rest of the frames. this means the object is now blurred on the other side too.

I am now at work on this. I will post a screenshot when done. Also, for those using Tryder's implementation, I will also try porting it to this package too, so everyone gets the best of both worlds!

27. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

For some reason Tryders new effects don't work on a built project. They still work fine in Unity though. I've only tested bloom but it might be all the effects. There are no error messages. You just start the game and it's like the effects were disabled.

28. Tryder

Tryder

I just uploaded a new version of the package here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6BscJ4Cq-K7anJldko5eTZzcXM/edit?usp=sharing

This package contains better documentation, not finished yet, and the following updates:

-Fixed a bug that prevented effects from working in built projects if the effects were setup through the inspector.
    -Updated both Star Bloom and Bloom so you can further isolate areas of the image between a minimum and maximum threshold.
    -Fixed a bug that would cause Motion Blur to error when calling DisableMotionBlur().
    -The amount of frames stored in the Motion Blur buffer will now only update when calling EnableMotionBlur().

The above image implements Star Bloom, Bloom and Color Balance. Although "IndieFX" was added with GIMP.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  29. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Looks good. The build works great now. Thanks Tryder

30. Tryder

Tryder

Okay just updated the IndieFX package with more documentation and a black and white shader. The updated documentation includes a tutorial on how to write a custom module for IndieFX, you must complete this tutorial in order to add the black and white effect as a module.
    Package: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6BscJ4Cq-K7anJldko5eTZzcXM/edit?usp=sharing

If you've already downloaded the last package and don't want to re-import it to your project you can download just the documentation + black and white shader here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6BscJ4Cq-K7Qy14UUpPS1VsMVk/edit?usp=sharing

31. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Nice Progress you making tryder! like to see how many effects you come up with! ;)

As for my progress with my motion blur shader, the frames seem to overwrite themselves instead of blending with each other. perhaps someone can help?

32. Tryder

Tryder

Thanks friend. I understood immediately what you meant when you mentioned making the middle frame the first frame so as to ensure the front and rear of the moving objects are blurred, but I figured there'd be a problem with frames not blending properly. Honestly don't know where to start in order to solve that issue.

33. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok then, looks like i will have to work this out by myself. and I answered your PM BTW.

34. Tryder

Tryder

I hit you back on that PM. I wouldn't be too sure about having to go it alone on motion blur, lot of knowledgeable people around these forums and I wouldn't be surprised if one of'em popped in with a good solution.

I work a lot with Blender so, from an artistic standpoint, I already have an idea of how various different post processing effects work. Motion blur, in pre-rendered artwork, might be a bit of a different breed because you don't have the constraints that we do in real-time effect processing. In CG programs like Blender it would appear that motion blur is calculated on a per object basis, the object's trajectory across several frames is calculated and then the object is blurred along the vector.

It's unfortunate that some of the effects I could conceptualize might bog down the system quite a bit, there's really no limit to what one could accomplish given enough RAM and processing power. You just have to remember that it doesn't have to be what it's supposed to be, just has to look like it's what it's supposed to be.

Edit: And of course that last sentence has probably been a bedrock principle since the inception of artistic entertainment. Back in the day of radio they didn't record actual thunder rolling, they just used a thin metal sheet and shook it to get a decent sounding roll of thunder. Very little is as it appears in the movies.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  35. Tryder

Tryder

Speaking of conceptualization I did have an idea about doing rain drops, with faked refraction, on the camera as a post-pro effect, but it would probably work best in Unity Pro.

The idea is that you would use something similar to a normal map to distort the image. I imagine a scenario where the red channel determines the offset of the pixel on the x axis while the green channel determines the offset on the y axis, the blue channel could determine the direction of the offset, which is to say the blue channel would determine which direction on the aforementioned axis, left/right, up/down.

Now in Unity free this could probably be done using sprite sheets, but you run into scaling issues at higher resolutions. You could directly modify a Texture2D, but that's awfully expensive. The best solution here would require Unity Pro in which case you could use a secondary camera, layer masks and 3D or 2D objects only visible to the secondary camera. Then use the render texture from that camera as the rain map.

Edit: Heh, now that I think about it that's probably how a normal map works isn't it?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  36. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Now there's an idea i haven't thought of, the camera rain drop effect! And here's how we could possibly do it:

* We could write a surface shader.
    * We can then add the frame capture and normal map, with the lighting turned off.
    * Then the quad draws the effect on-screen!

Pretty cool hey? I might actually work on this, since i know a heap more on writing surface shaders than writing Vertex/Fragment. I will post a screenshot when done.

EDIT: I just realised something: How would it be believable if the normal map was animated? Would it make it better? It is possible to animate surface shaders, one of the water shaders i used i the past was an animated surface shader.

EDIT2: It didn't exactly work... Perhaps one of us know how to use normal maps in a V/F shader (V/F stands for Vertex/fragment shader)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  37. Tryder

Tryder

You know I did just have an idea on how to animate the effect using objects rather than sprite sheets in Unity free. What could be done is:
    -Screen capture
    -overlay a solid black frame
    -add several quads with the rain drop "normal map" as a texture
    -take a separate screen cap
    -overlay another quad with the rain drop shader using both the original screen cap as the diffuse map and the 'rain drop' screen cap as the distortion map.

I will probably take a look into this idea in the near future, at the moment I've started another Unity project that I want to sink my teeth into.

38. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

What's this new project you mention? BTW, i like the tiger analogy you took then. Like to see how your new project turns out.

39. Tryder

Tryder

For the last couple of weeks I've been in the mood to start another game project, but haven't had much of any direction as to what I want to create. The other day I decided on a basic foundation, though I can't say for sure if this will change or not. Right now I'm thinking about doing a turn based tactical role playing game.

Today I just finished a Unity editor extension that will help me build the levels, wish I knew more about extending the editor when I made my last game ;). Anyway I just finished a tool to help me build and visualize the node grid for each level. In my last game I used a JS array filled with built-in arrays to mimic the functionality of a matrix for my node grid, this time I've laid it all out into a single one dimensional built-in array so it should be a little faster. Of course I got the idea after playing around with texture2d.getPixels() and texture2d.setPixels().

I still have some cosmetic touches I wanna add to the tool, but for the most part it does everything I want it to do. Well almost everything, I wanted to automatically take a top down orthographic snapshot of the level so I could more easily visualize where each node fell on the actual level geometry, but unfortunately I realize I would need Unity Pro for this. No biggie though, I just made it so I can select my own texture to place behind the grid in the custom editor window so instead of automatically taking a top down orthographic snapshot I just do that manually, save it and then plug it into the editor.

Basically in the inspector I setup the basic details of the grid, width/height and individual node scale, then click a button to open an editor window that displays the grid over an image of the level. I can click each individual node to expose and edit variables associated with that node, such as movement cost, attack/defense boons, if enemies can spawn in it or not, etc..

40. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

You've made other games?! Please, show me what you've made! I love seeing other unity content!

BTW, that is one long explanation. And good work learning how to use the editor API. I'm hopeless when it comes to that most of the time, and I usually add sliders from inside the main script itself. And that is one game I hope gets out in style!

41. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

The 1337 Gallery link has his games. I played the Space Rocks! and BDef and they are well done.

42. TheValar

TheValar

Just ran across this thread and it looks pretty awesome!!! Has anybody tested these effects on mobile at all?

43. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I haven't but I don't think, as of now, it will work on mobile platforms. Heavy resource use.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  44. davew_uk

davew_uk

I keep trying to finish the C# port but the pace of development is too fast for me to keep up!!

I'll download the latest packages and see what's changed :-/

45. Tryder

Tryder

Glad you enjoyed them Baldinboy, Space Rocks was my first Unity game and BDef was my last. As far as extending the editor I hadn't thought about doing it until this thread :). Anyway if you've ever worked with Unity's in-game GUI then you pretty much already know how to work with editor GUI controls, very similar.

46. TheValar

TheValar

I figured that would be the case, too bad though it would be even more epic!

47. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@TheValar: Hey you! I recommend trying them on mobile, see how they perform! If it doesn't work, though, Baldinoboy's point has been put across successfuly...
    @Baldinoboy: So where's this link? And thanks for the info, looking for it now.
    EDIT: just found BDef!

@davew_uk: So sorry about that, with all the shaders being tossed around lately, it's been pretty hectic. But thank your lucky stars, there probably won't be a major update for some time now, so port away!

@Tryder: I kind of guessed that, but the GUI controls are set up slightly differently in an editor. But if I ever need to write a custom editor, I'll give it a shot. In the meantime, good luck Tryder! Hopefully, I can think of a decent enough concept to spawn a good game from! :D

EDIT: Tryder, did your BDef game say it was downloading from Ubuntu One?! Nice job! I use Ubuntu from time to time as well. BTW, BDef has to be one of the best tower defense games i've ever played (unlike Bloons, which was too easy!)

48. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Yeah TheValar you should definitely still test it. It would be a cool thing to know.

49. Tryder

Tryder

Wow that's quite the compliment there Mr. Blur, glad you had fun. And yes you saw correctly, BDef is stored on Ubuntu One :)

50. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

You are welcome, Tryder. As for everyone else, if you are planning on trying this on other platforms, let me know how it runs! This will help me figure out which hardware runs my effects, so i can see what i can do to improve speed.

And one more thing tryder... LINUX FOR THE WIN!!!