Search Unity

Inconsequential Question Regarding Unity Tutorials (solved)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rd1349, Apr 28, 2017.

1. rd1349

rd1349

I know it's silly but it's starting to get on my nerves. In the unity learn tutorials everything looks sleeker, brighter and the colours more vibrant. I think it might be the shaders as the shadows seem to behave differently.
    I know this is rather inconsequential but it's a tick thats been bothering me for a while.

Thank you for replying if you do.

2. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

I'm gonna guess it's youtube compression. That or color correction has wormed it's way into even tutorials.

3. rd1349

rd1349

Sem Título.png maxresdefault.jpg

There's a side by side comparison. I think it's more than colour correction at this point.

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Looks like a simple change in the lighting settings. Unity is constantly updating how lighting works, so it doesn't surprise me the defaults might be different in different versions of the engine.

Not_Sure likes this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Bringing in the completed project from the Asset Store showed lighting very similar to the video. Checking it against a blank project (Unity 5.6.0f3) shows that they are using almost identical default lighting settings.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  6. Billy4184

Billy4184

I think you just need to turn down reflections in the lighting settings

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

Which version of unity are you using?

In 5.4..5.5 and below you usually get this kind of picture, when:

GI baking isn't complete.
    Ambient color is black.
    Skybox use for reflection is disabled.
    ^^^ All those settings are in the "Lighting" window.

Actually, getting pitch black shadows unintentionally is a bit difficult.

Not_Sure and Kiwasi like this.
  8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I could be wrong, but in particular the difference in the posted screenies looks like one is using the new PBR stuff and the other is not.

Kiwasi likes this.
  9. neginfinity

neginfinity

It is possible to occasionally get pitch black shadows for a split-second right after starting up the engine. However, I don't recall this effect persisting for a long time.

Both screenshots could be PBR, the thing is that in Unity PBR means that everything will have skybox glow at edges, and in the first screen there's no reflection data.

Also, OP didn't specify which screen is his. I suspect it is the first one. Honestly the best idea would be to open "Lighting" window and check if anything weird is going on there.

10. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I love Unity with a passion, but if there's one thing that's really terrible about the engine it's their default settings for everything.

I fully agree with @BoredMormon, you just need to fiddle-fart with the lighting.

And you are correct, the default set up looks horrid.

Don't even get me started on the grass color randomizer.

11. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

Ye
    Yeah. It's one of those things that would make the editor more cluttered, but I wish there were skybox reflection and ambient lighting checkboxes right there on the camera off by default, so people had more awareness of what's going into creating the final image.

12. rd1349

rd1349

Just read the rest of the thread. For neginfinity the version is 5.4.0f3
    Since everyone is pointing me to the lighting tab I'll have a look at it.
    Also it was like this when I first started unity so this was my default.
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

13. rd1349

rd1349

Ok fiddled with the lighting tab. Don't know exactly what I did since stuff froze up and I wildly spammed ctrl+z like an idiot but everything looks fine now. At least I now know where the issue originated. Thanks again guys for the help.

14. Billy4184

Billy4184

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

16. rd1349

rd1349

I installed it alongside visualstudio. I think their download version is outdated. Anyway I don't see an issue for now. I'm just learning. If I hit a problem I'll change the version but for now I think I'd be wasting time.

Kiwasi likes this.
  17. neginfinity

neginfinity

As long as it is not a version 4, it'll be possible to report bugs, also sticking to the most recent version is not necessarily the best idea. 5.5 had monodevelop-related breakpoint bugs, for example.