Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Improve Project Manager

Discussion in '2017.1 Beta' started by freekstorm, Jun 15, 2017.

1. freekstorm

freekstorm

This is not a 2017b1 issue specifically but relates to all versions of Unity and it the reason why I have not installed anything past 5.5 so the feedback might be useful if unwanted.

You seriously need to update the opening project manager to support multiple versions of Unity so that we can run multiple projects with multiple versions of Unity, in the same way that the Unreal launcher works.

Currently I'm a subscriber and my project will be released by the end of July. This project has been ongoing for seven years and I know that if I upgrade the project, it will break. They always do. This is not a problem right now.

However, I will be stating a new project after this and I would like to be able to use the latest version of Unity for that. But I cant, I cant take any risk that the existing project gets upgraded after the game release, so I will be stuck using 5.5 for the foreseeable future, and new projects.

I know you don't like comparisons to Unreal but you must know that their launcher allows you to have multiple version of Unreal Engine, and it always opens the project with the correct version of Unreal for that project unless you specifically make it upgrade the project to a new version.

This feature is not a 'nice to have' but is essential for any small business with multiple projects. Please consider adding this as a matter of urgency.

2. mfindlater

mfindlater

3. virror

virror

You can have multiple versions of unity installed at the same time

4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Yep, it is being worked on, but as @virror says you can have multiple versions of Unity installed at the same time (as long as you installed them to separate folders) - keep 5.5 installed and use it for opening your current project, and install 2017.1 in a separate folder and use it for the new one.

5. BlackPete

BlackPete

To further expand on this, I have a shortcut to each version of Unity installed, and have them pinned to the task bar. Then when you hover or right click over the Unity icons, it'll show you what version it is before you launch it.

I've even had multiple versions of Unity running at the same time too.