Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Importing Modo animations into Unity?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by RibsNGibs, Feb 16, 2017.

1. RibsNGibs

RibsNGibs

Hi, I'm new to both the rigging/animation part of Modo and new to Unity, so it's hard for me to troubleshoot it, and I'm having a hard time getting animations from Modo into Unity.

I've got Modo Indie 10 and Unity 5.5.

1) I made an simple object in Modo, added a transform effector and bend effector with some point weights, added the mesh and the two effectors to an Actor, made an Action, and made a quick mini animation, and saved it out, both as an .lxo and as a .fbx. I can wiggle the current frame around and see the animation, and switch out of Actions and see that the animation disappears, so I think I know my Action is set up correctly.

2) I went into Unity and I see both the .lxo and .fbx. According to https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-ImportObjectModo.html it should just support .lxo natively, but if I crack open the .lxo asset I don't see any animation takes. If I crack open the .fbx version I do see an animation take (Take 001... not what I named but, but it's there). But if I select the animation take and then hit play in the preview window, it does loop through the 24 frames which is the correct range, but nothing moves.

I don't have enough experience here to know what might be failing here - can anybody point me in the right direction? Are actions supposed to be supported at all? Was I supposed to use a different method of importing? Am I supposed to add animator/animation components to the object? etc. etc.

Thanks.

2. P1rw

P1rw

I have the same problem! All tutorials I find go into detail how to animate an IK character but what about simple transform and effectors from modo? Unless I'm dreaming I think its possible to get an animation from modo into Unity that is just a simple transform e.g. move a cube to the side, rotate an item etc. without using bones.

Correct?